Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Procedure for Selling MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy to report I made a tidy profit selling my BMW lease to a third party broker (who overpaid I believe) thanks to the good fortune of getting my MY delivered in a timely manner. BMW didn't make things easy, forbidding me to sell directly to third party dealers like CarMax, Carvana, etc. Most car companies now employ this tactic. But there are ways around it. ;)

@jjrandorin, I remember you from Bimmerfest. Pappy Pipes.
Hi there! yep same person :) We just bought out my wifes 2019 X3 M40 lease, because, for once, its worth more than the residual. She wanted a Y to go with my 3, but due to timing (and the fact that I wont pay more than list for a car, its not happening lol),we bought out the lease, and will investigate selling it next year.

We didnt lose money on buying out the residual on the X3 though, I could sell it right now and even cover the taxes but the car only has 6k miles on it after 3 years (wife only drives locally pretty much) and we custom ordered it with every option.

Reactions: TSLY
Hi there! yep same person :) We just bought out my wifes 2019 X3 M40 lease, because, for once, its worth more than the residual. She wanted a Y to go with my 3, but due to timing (and the fact that I wont pay more than list for a car, its not happening lol),we bought out the lease, and will investigate selling it next year.

We didnt lose money on buying out the residual on the X3 though, I could sell it right now and even cover the taxes but the car only has 6k miles on it after 3 years (wife only drives locally pretty much) and we custom ordered it with every option.
Great seeing you! Sold my 540i M Sport for 9% over residual. No tax. Still pinching myself. <3 my MY.

Reactions: jjrandorin
CarMax offered me $56k for my Model Y Standard Range today. Going with Car Buyers USA - their offer was $2500 more. Pretty bad reviews, but willing to gamble. Model Y Performance already reserved for Jan.

CarMax offered me $56k for my Model Y Standard Range today. Going with Car Buyers USA - their offer was $2500 more. Pretty bad reviews, but willing to gamble. Model Y Performance already reserved for Jan.
Yeah I mostly read about them nickel and diming the seller once they inspected the car. At least you're able to negotiate. They only offered me a few hundred more than Carmax so it wasn't worth my time.

Be prepared for them reducing their initial offer. I just sold my Chevy Blazer to them, and after their inspection said they had to reduce my offer by $1,100 because it didn't have a sunroof or leather seats...but there was nowhere in their online quote system to put any of those details! AFAIK, it's not even possible for a 1LT Blazer to have a sunroof. But their quote system doesn't use VINs, you have to manually select your car and trim.

I am happy to report that the rest of the sales process is 100% legit with them, from payment/loan payoff/pickup. But expect a bait and switch on price. Even with their lowered price, it was still $1,600 more than CarMax so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Carmax offered me the most for my 2021 model 3 FYI. Just sold yesterday and did a factory reset and removal from account on the website.

Can't really give any advice though. So many variables. I saw it as another investment decision and tried to time it so I got the most for the 3 and paid the least for an MYP.
Selling my 1 month old MYLR w/Hitch to CarMax today. Cannot believe the quote they gave me and just couldn't resist since I won't be driving it that much in the winter. I'll order a new one in the spring. Although a bit torn, it's too good a deal.

Reactions: mrmtb
Selling my 1 month old MYLR w/Hitch to CarMax today. Cannot believe the quote they gave me and just couldn't resist since I won't be driving it that much in the winter. I'll order a new one in the spring. Although a bit torn, it's too good a deal.
I am also curious about the offer since I want to sell my month old MYLR also. Don’t enjoy the rough ride.

Would you mind sharing the CarMax offer? Ballpark?
Ordered 5/5/21. Picked up 10/29/21, Dedham, pushed delivery out once. Out the door, Title, Tax, Reg: $56,640.xx. Sold 11/29/21 to CarMax, Norwood, MA 482 miles, $64,000. I had no idea they would offer that much so knowing I wouldn't use it a lot in the winter, I chose to sell and order a new one in early 2022. I love everything about the car and will own another! MYLR White w/Black interior. W/Hitch.

They’re selling that config for $68-73k right now. Absolute madness. Still an amazing deal you got.

Bummer to whoever spends $73k on it.
I just tried to do a purchase on the exact MYLR w/Hitch, White/Black I sold and out-of-pocket would be about the same CarMax bought it for from me. My hope is that based on the design/process changes at Giga Austin, that the price will stabilize worse case or even come down as they predict and I'll be able to buy with the new 4680 battery. Only time will tell. I miss the MY already but I like the thought of buying again.

They’re selling that config for $68-73k right now. Absolute madness. Still an amazing deal you got.

Bummer to whoever spends $73k on it.
I'm actually going to rent a Model X for a trip to PA in December and looking forward to trying it out. I'll admit that I never really considered the Model X dure to price but after doing some research, I'm looking forward to giving it a go and who knows - maybe??? Again, Love the MYLR
PS: I have a brand new set of Tasmanian Floor Liners, Truck and Frunk liners and Cargo mat for the MY 5 passenger. I'll sell locally for $200.