Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Procedure for windshield replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to have my 3’s windshield replaced due to a rock impact.

Do I initiate that with a Tesla service appointment and Tesla arranges for a glass company to come to the service center or do I arrange for the glass company and then deal with Tesla separately so that Tesla can reattach the camera, etc.? Or is a windshield replacement something that Tesla does entirely on their own now?

I need to have my 3’s windshield replaced due to a rock impact.

Do I initiate that with a Tesla service appointment and Tesla arranges for a glass company to come to the service center or do I arrange for the glass company and then deal with Tesla separately so that Tesla can reattach the camera, etc.? Or is a windshield replacement something that Tesla does entirely on their own now?
Did you call your insurance company?

Reactions: XLR82XS
I definitely need to do that first. I was just looking for an idea of the process before I kick things off. I’ll have to get the windshield re-tinted again, too.
Call them and let them handle it. They may send out a mobile company like Safelight to repair it. They may have you set up an appt with Tesla. Either way, let them handle it so you’re not paying out of pocket.

Did you have to schedule an appointment after the glass replacement with Tesla for camera calibration, or did Safelite do the calibration?

No. I called Tesla to ask if it needed to be calibrated and they told me the cameras self-calibrate. I was skeptical, but sure enough, after about 200 miles they were calibrated perfectly. It was hugging either the inner or outer line on the road initially, but I can't remember which.

I'm sure the calibration errors vary among windshields, but ours was so far out of calibration that autopilot was worthless for well over 100 miles. The car was about 3 feet laterally from where it should have been.

But, like I said, it eventually self-corrected and has been great ever since.

I just got my windshield replaced with Safelite and it was a very simple and smooth process. We don't have zero deductible glass option in NJ on Progressive, so I paid $50. Total cost was $750. I filed a claim online with Progressive which takes you immediately to the Safelite appointment page. You book an appointment for a week or so out. They can only replace it at their facility, which for me was much closer than any Tesla SC. They called a few days before the appointment and said the glass was being delivered in a day or two but had to re-schedule the appointment, so we set a date a week later. After setting the date you can easily change it online if you need to. I showed up today and they installed it in about 2.5 hours. I didn't wait for it to be done.

They do say the "dealer" needs to calibrate the cameras, but you can now do that yourself under the service menu and it was completed before I got home.