Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proceed with 2016 MODEL X order or wait for 2017 model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

msta

Sep 23, 2016
texas
So i just put my order in Cancelation/Hold Status on day 6 of the 7 day grace period. My sales guy said that since the VIN was just created that hew would have some time to completely cancel my order and by putting in hold status it would hold my place in line until i make the final decision. However, I need to act fast. ( By the way, my sale guy is awesome and has been very helpful. He as answered most of all my questions. If he didn't have and answer the would not BS me and he would get back to me after looking into it. Anyways, I really respect that so just wanted to mention it before i go on)

Here is my Issue: So on Day 6, my VIN number came in and my delivery date is scheduled end of October/November, which will make this a 2016 model. Just to compare, the Car Industry is now selling their 2017 models.

Below are some thoughts and notes:
- I am planning on purchasing a MODEL X P100D model
- Paying Cash ( after reading some of the Forums and coming to my senses, its a no-brainer to use Allient CU at 1.49%)
- not planning on using the Tesla Buy-Back guarantee, which means i will be selling privately when i sell ( can't use buy-back if using Allient) plus from what i have read, Tesla will under cut the value ~15-25% from the open market.
-After reading one of the blogs ones accountant calculated that his model X has depreciated 17% just after 3-4 months with just a few hundred miles.
- Planning on keeping the car 2 years maybe into the 3rd( My thought is since this is a tech vehicle, that the tech stuff changes so fast and longer one holds on the more outdated and depreciation there will be.
-

So my question is... if i take the 2016 vehicle will it have a 1 year Depreciation (following the Car industry trend i am just thinking that most people will follow the car industry standards on buying a vehicle by the year instead of looking at the miles of the tesla) VS. canceling my order and reorder for a 2017 Model? ( my thought is to reorder in December to get an early 2017 model). Or it will not matter and proceed with my order?

Appreciate your feedback...Thank you for reading my Thoughts

Regards...

My question to you would be: why did you order the car a few days ago when you have these concerns ?
Zero, thanks for the response. After placing the order these were some questions that was opened ended with my sales guy. Over this past week is it has been burning a hole in my head trying to outweigh the plus/minus. With my question not answered and time running out I cancelled the order. Again, my sales guy didn't cancel completely, meaning tesla still has a grace period to finalized it. Basically I'm guaranteed to get my 2500 back, however if i say proceed he can put me back in the que with losing my spot.

Yes I understand there will be depreciation but who wouldn't want to have a few thousand dollars in their pocket if it meant a few months. I am new to the Tesla industry and am looking for some advice from you experts if my thought process is true (following the car industry standard on reselling) or that Teslas deprecate differently not depending on year.

by the way Doofen, i just read your article...thanks

@msta, IMHO, you may get a very slight (if any) higher valuation when selling your car if it's a 2017 model (vs 2016).

There will always be some additional tweaks to the production line, but most tweaks are so subtle, that most will not notice them. Therefore, you'll get a marginally better vehicle, the longer you wait.

However, you will be missing out on driving the vehicle those extra months that you wait. It's a very personal judgement call.

Maybe I missed it, but if you only want the car for two or three years, why not lease?

I'm not generally a fan of leases, but this sounds like the situation for it - and the guaranteed buy back neatly addresses the 2016/2017 question...

A lot of people go through a similar dilemma with Teslas. Since Tesla doesn't do the typical model year updates, some people debate on when they should buy a Tesla. You never know when Tesla will introduce new features like Autopilot, the Model S facelift, etc. However, most people that miss out on the upgrades are ok with it. Driving a Tesla is like nothing else out there so getting one sooner usually outweighs the potential added features of waiting until later. Also, it sounds like you're in a good financial situation where you don't plan on keeping the Tesla for 10 years anyways. So you might as well buy it now, and not worry about the difference in depreciation had you waited. I also think mileage will end up playing a larger role in resale value than model year.