Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Process for Postponing your delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered 11/13/18 and got a text notification that the car was ready to be delivered 11/18/18. I wasn't ready to take delivery yet because I was going out of town for a couple of weeks and also needed to get my financing in order so I responded to the text to postpone delivery to 12/15. Apparently they unmatched me. What is the usual process when you postpone? Do they treat the 12/15 date as the day you order the car? Or is 12/15 the target delivery date. It's now 12/13 and I have yet to hear from Tesla. I'm ready to take delivery now but still need the signed order agreement from them to provide to my 3rd party loaner.

Think the policy for making delivery changes is a bit fluid right now.

Tesla is trying to maximize deliveries prior to EOY to maximize tax credits. If lot of people move their deliveries closer to Dec. 31st, that will make things much more difficult for them, as they only have so many people available to cram so many cars into the final days.

When you make a change, they simply have no place to store your car in the meantime, so most likely they will attempt to deliver your specific car to someone else on the list, and try to find another one to deliver at your new date.

In other words, in order to change to make things easier for you, it makes it more difficult for them.

I was told that teslas current policy is that you must take delivery of the car within 7 days of them matching you with a car, to get that specific VIN. If you want a date outside that, they simply unmatch YOU and match that vin to someone else, putting you back in the queue.

Unlike a regular car dealer who can store your car for a limited amount of time and normally just wants deliveries "in this month", Tesla has no where to really store these cars so will not wait.

You may or may not have a new VIN attached to you. If your online account does not show a VIN I would contact your Owner advisor very quickly as it is unlike you will actually make that date 2 days from now if you dont have a vin attached.

Moral of the story for anyone else following / looking at this thread is, take the car within 7 days, dont postpone outside that or they WILL unmatch you.

When I called to reschedule my delivery last month, I was told they could only hold on to my VIN for a week before they give it to someone else and they would have to assign a different car to me when I was ready to take delivery. Since I was only delaying 4 days, I was able to keep my VIN.

Yes anything more than 7 days Tesla will unmatch you. I'm just a little concerned on my new delivery date now as Tesla has gone silent and there has been no movement in my delivery updates. The owner advisers aren't responding to emails as well. I just sold my car so I guess I'll need to use a rental until I take delivery.

Simply put, Tesla is trying to sell a lot of cars right now to satisfy demand for the end of the year. Picking and choosing deliveries based on your desires isn't something that is going to go over too well right now.
How would you like to hear that you can't get a car this year, because they are all allocated, but then to find out that someone didn't pick theirs up and could have been available for you.

And remember, the end of the year only means $3250 difference in tax credits, probably less than the taxes you will pay on the car.

When you order a car, be ready, right then, with everything need to accept the car.