TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Process of adding supercharging to an S60 after delivery

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by dirkhh, Jul 18, 2013.

1. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

I searched the forums but couldn't find anything.

I may be running into a bit of early buyers remorse. I bought my S60 without supercharging and am wondering now if that wasn't penny smart and pound foolish.
    So did anyone do the "after delivery" upgrade for $2500? What do they do for that? My understanding is that the S60 already has all the hardware on board and that this is just a software issue. Can anyone confirm from first hand experience?

I also sent an email to ownership and will share whatever they respond...

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Supercharger | Tesla Motors

They can activate while you are parked at a supercharger. I hope you activate as supercharging is way cool!

3. dirkhh

Here's the official response:
    It's just like going to a gas station. Only the credit card charge is slightly higher...

4. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

For $2,500 Tesla will change a secret setting in your software and automagically enable the feature. You already have the hardware - we all do - but it costs $2,500 to use it because Tesla has to charge you your fair share of building out the infrastructure and the free charging "for life". Free costs money, unfortunately. :)

5. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Today, I had my first dose of EV Crack, er supercharging, and I am completely hooked. I can't imagine not being able to use an SC for a road trip. Even a 100 A HPWC looks wimpy. Is it worth 2500? Take a look at this picture and you decide...
    tesla3.jpg

6. dirkhh

I took the plunge, swallowed my pride and purchased the upgrade. I'll try it on Monday at the Centralia SuperCharger...

And yes, that picture is quite promising. 190mls/hr is quite useful :)

7. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

You should be charging at a much faster rate when your SOC is low and it only drops below 200mi/hr when your battery is filling up, even when charging a 60.

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

And how did it go?

9. dirkhh

#9 dirkhh, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    Works perfectly. The one thing no one tells you is that the S60 charges quite a bit slower at the Supercharger than the 85s. Lower max voltage...
    Still, amazingly fast and convenient (but NOT cheap... I have charged 5 times at SCs so far - i.e. $500 a charge :) )

(for the humor impaired... yes, I realize that the cost per charge will drop over time... for example to under $400 when I charge there twice tomorrow on a 320 mile road trip...
    to the person giving negative reputation feedback on this... REALLY?)