Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prodigy P3 Brake Controller to Console Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been working on making a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller to Tesla Model X Console Adapter.

I really didn't want to put holes in my dash and wanted the brake controller to be secure yet easily installed / removed into the console. The adapter will slide into the console the same way the cupholders install.

When it's complete I'll list the files on thingverse.com and link to them from here. In the meantime, I thought I'd share my progress. I'm really liking this last revision.

These are the three prototypes clockwise from the top left in order of refinement. (Yes the second prototype has a broken retaining arm):
IMG_20180507_121714.jpg

Here's a side view of the latest holding the controller:
IMG_20180507_121832.jpg

I've been working on making a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller to Tesla Model X Console Adapter.

I really didn't want to put holes in my dash and wanted the brake controller to be secure yet easily installed / removed into the console. The adapter will slide into the console the same way the cupholders install.

When it's complete I'll list the files on thingverse.com and link to them from here. In the meantime, I thought I'd share my progress. I'm really liking this last revision.

These are the three prototypes clockwise from the top left in order of refinement. (Yes the second prototype has a broken retaining arm):
View attachment 299455

Here's a side view of the latest holding the controller:
View attachment 299457
I like the starboard nacelles on the last one. ;-)

I like the starboard nacelles on the last one. ;-)
LOL. "Towing: the final frontier."

It appears PLA is fine for a prototype but one needs to use something like ABS or PETG to hold up to car interior temperatures. (I didn't intend to have to learn about 3D printing.) And red makes it very visible but the final color needs to be black to blend. I'll upload a photo of the setup installed in the car in a few hours.

Excellent idea. I'd get one in a heartbeat. Would be nice to make a quick disconnect for the break-off-all-fingernails wiring harness the P3 comes with.
I have some Weatherpack connectors from prior projects. I haven't yet hooked up the P3 harness to the controller. Maybe inserting such a connector in-line would be helpful. Here's what one of the four wire connectors looks like.

hwk12214.jpg

Let me know when you’re ready for my PayPal :)
LOL - I see what you did there. Hopefully I'll provide the design and guidance on where to have it printed.

I like this latest one more as it has more distance from the cupholder - important to be able to hit that manual brake if needed while hopefully allowing use of the cupholder.

IMG_20180508_173807.jpg
IMG_20180508_183445.jpg

Thought that I'd update and let everyone know that I'm making progress. This week the plan is to print the hopefully last prototype (#8) using PLA and if I'm satisfied I'll have a version printed in ABS.

The Tesla harness combined with the P3 harness aren't quite long enough to reach to the console. I'm going to extend the harness by about a foot.

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff
Did you ever get around to finalising this? Would love to print this!
I took this project right to the finish line and stopped. I sent what I hoped was the final design to a 3rd party on 3dhubs.com to print it using ABS rather than the PLA that my prototypes were using - the company had some problem with their equipment and couldn't do the job. I got distracted and haven't tried again. (I'm not sure if ABS or PETG would be the best material for the job.) I just made the design public for all to use / improve. Link If you use and improve it please let us know.

• Love
Reactions: Tobz
I took this project right to the finish line and stopped. I sent what I hoped was the final design to a 3rd party on 3dhubs.com to print it using ABS rather than the PLA that my prototypes were using - the company had some problem with their equipment and couldn't do the job. I got distracted and haven't tried again. (I'm not sure if ABS or PETG would be the best material for the job.) I just made the design public for all to use / improve. Link If you use and improve it please let us know.

By the way the factory harness + the prodigy harness does not reach all the way to the cup holder in the console. One needs to extend the length of the wires by ~18".

Thanks mate! I just ordered a 3d printer so will try it out for this. I have a rhd vehicle and the harness is massive! Reaches the centre console no issue! So hopefully this will streamline my install, and make it easier to use

I'll post back after I have trialed it

Reactions: Zippy_EV
Thanks mate! I just ordered a 3d printer so will try it out for this. I have a rhd vehicle and the harness is massive! Reaches the centre console no issue! So hopefully this will streamline my install, and make it easier to use

I'll post back after I have trialed it

Hi Tobz, was amazed to find such an obscure, but for me really interesting, solution to not fix-mount the unit. Did you have any luck? I can get it printed also but wanted to ensure it worked ok and which plastic and quality to choose in production (i.e. abs vs PLA)? Thanks too @Zippy_EV (amazing!)

Reactions: Zippy_EV