Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Product for dashboard & leather seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've used Zaino Z9 (cleaner) & Z10 (conditioner) on both my leather and synthetic interior areas like the dash for years. I don't generally use the Z9 cleaner as often, and never on anything but the leather as needed. I follow up with Z10 after any cleaning of course.

Another product line to consider is Leather Masters. It too, I've had great success with on leather, but I tend not to use it on synthetic areas as its more pricey and does not have that extraordinary leather scent you get as a side benefit with Z10 that helps keep the inside of your ride smelling like new without all those fake smells some folks introduce.

...I'd add, I do a quick wipe down of all leather surfaces with a damp clean rag every time I wash my vehicle. I've found that to help a lot with hydration natural leather needs (no different than our skin); it forces me to do a quick once-over if anything needs a little more attention, and I then only need to apply leather conditioner every few weeks or months depending on time of year and use.

Personally I use Sonax Dashboard Cleaner (matte finish) for my dash and interior. Clean without that crazy armour all greasy shine look. Works for all interior bits.

For the seats I really like Lexol Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner for seats/leather bits.

I have only used Zaino wax products and while decent I found them "hard" to apply, and I kind of got turned off with their stuff.

Lots of good products at Autogeek.
Leather Care - Clean, condition & protect leather upholstery with premium, pH-balanced products by Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Lexol, Leatherique, Connolly,
Autogeek's Rubber & Vinyl Care products protect your vehicle's dashboard, trim, seats & tires... from the sun and elements. tire dressing, vinyl

Never been a fan of Zaino products but that's just me.

Although Meguiar's is not considered "top of the line" I've never had a bad product from them and I've used a lot of different brands.

I use Meguiers on the exterior 3 part system 1 Pre Wax Cleaner, 2 Glaze, 3 Carnauba Wax. Apply this twice a year. For leather I have used Lexol and Meguiers as well as many other leather cleaning protection products. I have not found a single leather product I really like.

For leather, I haven't found anything better than Leatherique products... Expensive and a real pain in the butt if you decide to give the oil a go, but the stuff delivers great results. Pristine clean is what I use most of the time (the oil is maybe a once a year thing for me).

For vinyl stuff, I usually wipe it down with a damp microfiber and call it good or apply a little 303 aerospace protectant.

Last edited:
The only thing you need for your dashboard is a cheap tub of Vasoline. Anything else is just a placebo and wastes your money. Same goes for seats, but you probably don't want to sit on that, unless you get it rubbed in nice and well so that it doesn't come off on your clothes. All these "products" for your interior either do nothing more than plain old Vasoline or actually harm your material long term (such as Armor All) by drying it out.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: mdevp and Edmond
I'll not use petroleum jelly (Vasoline).

I like 303 Aerospace for the black trim (mostly plastic) surfaces.

303 Fabric Guard is good for waterproofing canvas buckets. If you use canvas buckets.

Bick 4 is excellent for the leather. You shouldn't need anything aggressive, but if you do, then there's always Bick 1. For either, a little goes a long way.

Finally, I use lemon oil for the wood. There's not very much wood, and you don't need very much lemon oil.

For leather, I haven't found anything better than Leatherique products... Expensive and a real pain in the butt if you decide to give the oil a go, but the stuff delivers great results. Pristine clean is what I use most of the time (the oil is maybe a once a year thing for me).

For vinyl stuff, I usually wipe it down with a damp microfiber and call it good or apply a little 303 aerospace protectant.

I second this. I've been using Leatherique Rejuvenator followed by Leatherique Prestine Clean for years. I wouldn't use anything else on my leather. Gets all the impurities out, conditions it, and leaves it butter soft. It really brings out the natural smell of the leather as well. It will pretty much smell like brand new again.

Note: to do it right is not quick, so best to do it when you have a full day to let the Rejuvenator 'cook' into the seats on a hot day. The next day go over it with the Prestine Clean and you're all set.

The only thing you need for your dashboard is a cheap tub of Vasoline. Anything else is just a placebo and wastes your money. Same goes for seats, but you probably don't want to sit on that, unless you get it rubbed in nice and well so that it doesn't come off on your clothes. All these "products" for your interior either do nothing more than plain old Vasoline or actually harm your material long term (such as Armor All) by drying it out.
Interesting... How would you apply the Vasoline? Is this what you've done on your car? Do you have pictures of how your car has held up over time using Vasoline on the seats & dash?

Interesting... How would you apply the Vasoline? Is this what you've done on your car? Do you have pictures of how your car has held up over time using Vasoline on the seats & dash?

I don't use it on the seats, since I don't want it on my clothes. I've never used any product on my seats and they've held up in my other cars for 250,000+ miles and 13+ years without any problem.

As for the dash, it looks basically the same as it did when it was new, allowing for nicks and scrapes and such that inevitably occur. I can post pictures of my highest mileage car, but what are you going to compare it to?

Note the odometer reading of 256k miles. I just apply it with a rag and rub it in very well... the first couple days it's really glossy and causes a glare, but the glare eventually fades and I repeat the process the following year or two later.

What works best on the velour looking material? I'm not a big fan of that "look" really to being with, and it looks like it will be a dirt magnet.
The alcantara is the same material as in the headliner. IMHO, don't put any product on it, rather, just dust it off and you're good to go. When I dust the leather part of my dash with a very lightly damp and clean rag every time I wash my MS, I let that same rag rapidly slip over the Alcantara section. I don't let it dwell, so it never gets wet, but dust is whisked away and it continues to look as good as new. Simple.