TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Product for waterspots

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by steilkurve, Aug 24, 2015.

1. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

What do folks use to clean stubborn waterspots on their model S that won't go away? Anyone used ScratchX for Meguiar's? Got a big waterspot on the hood (ah the joys of a black car). Note quite sure how it got there. Normal wash and claying didn't help. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Looking for a product that will be effective but won't damage or dull the paint.

2. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

During college I was a valet at a five star coastal hotel. Sometimes a sprinkler head would get turned wrong or the wind would blow the hard water and the cars in the lot would get sprayed and then the morning sun would bake in the worst water spots. The hotel guests would be PO'd when they would see the spots. When this happened we would do a hand wash with soap, rinse and then a 50% white vinegar wash again, rinse and dry. It worked every time on those spots. I don't know if it was problematic in the long run to those cars but the owners were always pleased when we brought their cars around after this Process. The mild acid of the white vinegar was enough to dissolve the hard water spots. Good luck.

3. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Thanks. I've heard of vinegar before for waterspots. I really just have one dime-sized spot to clean, a drip from a garage ceiling I assume. I may try vinegar and if it doesn't work, ScratchX. Anyone else tried the latter? Paint safe on our soft Tesla finish?

4. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Thanks. I don't think that would have cut it though. Ended up cleaning the car, then claying and finally using ScratchX, which took most of it out. A very subtle etching is left that you can only see from super close if you know it's there (ie only I see it!). To get the rest of it out, I'll likely need a buffer.

5. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Oh and, I waxed it after. Quite pleased with ScratchX. Was worried for a moment it left a white ring where I rubbed but it's like new after waxing.

6. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

7. SwisSojourners

8. CLLACAB

CLLACAB Member

Water Spot Remover

I have used this on my Porsche. Had heavy water spots. Removed them all with no damage to the paint.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Water_Spot_Rx_Hard_Water_Spot_Remover_16_oz_p/spi_886_16.htm?gclid=CNzZ3cn2zscCFU2SfgodQ_kPUA