TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Production back to 3000 per week?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Webeevdrivers, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Member

Howdy all. We read in a Facebook EV Group that production is back to 3000 per week. Is there some kind of re-tooling going on or other unknown bottleneck. Not sure how reliable the entry was but it sounds a little surprising as that is an almost 40 percent drop.

Also, how can the waiting list be only a few months if they are only producing 12000 per month. Are they possibly referíing to a specific configuration? Has Tesla ever given specific configuration reservation list info?

This is more of a cross section of questions that popped up at our EV coffee group at A&W. Kind of a gloomy discussion. A few of us are looking at the model 3 or future Y as a possible replacement for our Leafs in a couple years.

2. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

One obvious motive it to get AWD & P production up to speed. They also want to try hit 6K/week next month. This is the same pattern that they've been repeating all, year, just with progressively larger numbers.

3. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Member

Are those on a certain line? Eg, certain confígs unaffected?

I still don’t get how the reservation thing works. 3 months to get a car but 400,000 plus reservations?

4. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

The source is likely from the Bloomberg tracker. It isn't as accurate any more considering the VINs submission and tracker usage have fallen. The introduction of new options has also rendered a lot of assumptions differently.

• Like x 1
  5. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Haven't heard anything about if they are going to dedicate certain lines to AWD, although it's likely to be isolated to individual lines initially. How fast they adapt all the lines (and it'll only be sub-sections of the lines) probably depends on demand. Is that a general curiosity question because I'm not sure how it relates to this?

That's the worldwide number for reservations for any variant. The 3-ish months delivery estimate is only for US (and Canada) for 310mi battery and Premium Upgrade Package.

6. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Member

Yes on the general curiosity although a few of us at coffee were talking about it.

I keep forgetting about the fact that more than the USA and Canada are waiting for this car. So if I understand you correctly, there is probably a 3 to 4 month waiting list of North Americans waiting for the car. So once that part of the list is filled they start to ship to other countries. Correct??

7. lloyds

lloyds Active Member

I also read recently that Tesla had close to 25% cancellations on reservations due to the 35k model not available.

• Like x 1
  8. drawfour

drawfour Member

Could be retooling to increase production. All AWDs now have white interior as an option, as opposed to only the P versions. So perhaps this retooling will help bring that to fruition. I keep hoping beyond hope that they'll unexpectedly at SAS and I can grab one up. But alas, probably not.

9. hoang51

hoang51 Member

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  10. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

That's their estimate.

They'll probably avoid shipping international until 2019. Because of how long it takes to close the sale and get the revenue on their books (2 months and change, varying by country), Tesla avoids shipping outside of US in the last part of the Q. I don't know the details off all countries but shipping to Europe involves hardware changes, the charging port and hardware are different for starters. There's some other differences, too. That, and import tax regulations, is why they have a final assembly facility there (I believe it's near their EU HQ in the Netherlands?).

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. Brovane

Brovane Member

Let's assume that what you say is 100% true.

That means that instead of 400,000 people in line currently to buy the Model 3 you have 300,000 people. Other manufacturers can only dream of having 300,000 people putting down deposits to buy one their EV's.

12. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

But they are waiting for the $35,000.00 model less the government rebates. That's what Tesla needs start producing.

• Disagree x 2
  13. Brovane

Brovane Member

Why should Tesla build the $35k model when they cannot even keep up with the demand for the more expensive model?

• Like x 2
  14. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

That is not accurate.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  15. KJD

KJD Supporting Member