Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production capacity improvement for Model S and Model X.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of the DCF models that I have looked at assign a lower value of Tesla/claim they are overvalued because they calculate a much higher share count as they assume high capital requirements raised by equity. This also leads to perceived higher risk so they discount with a higher rate. So dilution do matter both directly (lower eps in the future) and indirectly as it is a sign the capital requirements is higher than what can be generated by the product. For example, raising $1B at $300/share is clearly different from raising $2.5B at $180/share.

I think the expected dilution and discount rate are wrong because of how profitable the S+X line really is. It is a bit like Amazon, core business is good but they invest heavily so negative profit. For example, $10B S+X sales is reasonable to expect will lead to $2B avaliable for other investments, and that is probably low-balling it. That is why I think it is important the coming years to be able to increase production of S+X if demand is there. It would I think put a floor on the stock at close to today's levels, assuming we have a flat or rising market. Basically, if the S+X can generate $2B, the whole company is worth atleast $30B. The losses come from necessary investment with expected high returns.

Also, if we look into 2016, 2017 and 2018. I assume those years will mostly be S+X production and not Model 3. Current Model S demand is about 50k per year. if the cap is 90k annually with the current line, that puts the total capacity at 270k for those three years. They will already be -30k from the reservations of Model X. That means they have a capacity of 240k during three years for new orders (I assume few Model X will be delivered in 2015). If model S demand is flat, that means 150k could be filled with Model S, leaving only 90k to Model X for three years. SUVs are selling as much high end sedans so I think there is a good reason to believe the 90k annually won't be enough to cover demand.

Most of the DCF models that I have looked at assign a lower value of Tesla/claim they are overvalued because they calculate a much higher share count as they assume high capital requirements raised by equity. This also leads to perceived higher risk so they discount with a higher rate. So dilution do matter both directly (lower eps in the future) and indirectly as it is a sign the capital requirements is higher than what can be generated by the product. For example, raising $1B at $300/share is clearly different from raising $2.5B at $180/share.

I think the expected dilution and discount rate are wrong because of how profitable the S+X line really is. It is a bit like Amazon, core business is good but they invest heavily so negative profit. For example, $10B S+X sales is reasonable to expect will lead to $2B avaliable for other investments, and that is probably low-balling it. That is why I think it is important the coming years to be able to increase production of S+X if demand is there. It would I think put a floor on the stock at close to today's levels, assuming we have a flat or rising market. Basically, if the S+X can generate $2B, the whole company is worth atleast $30B. The losses come from necessary investment with expected high returns.

Also, if we look into 2016, 2017 and 2018. I assume those years will mostly be S+X production and not Model 3. Current Model S demand is about 50k per year. if the cap is 90k annually with the current line, that puts the total capacity at 270k for those three years. They will already be -30k from the reservations of Model X. That means they have a capacity of 240k during three years for new orders (I assume few Model X will be delivered in 2015). If model S demand is flat, that means 150k could be filled with Model S, leaving only 90k to Model X for three years. SUVs are selling as much high end sedans so I think there is a good reason to believe the 90k annually won't be enough to cover demand.

Now that v7.0 has been released, this will have a positive effect on new orders for both the Tesla Model S and the Tesla Model X in the coming years. The question will remain if (and for how long) Tesla Motors will be able to feed demand with the current maximum production capacity at the Fremont factory.

Where Tesla is superior to Amazon is that they have defined their core competencies. Amazon seems to be a new take on a conglomerate at a time where companies like GE are returning to a profitable, defensible core business.

I think v7 will definitely help sales. The MS does not look dated at all IMO. I assume the MX is also impressive in person.

I assume the March reveal of the model 3 is a prelude to taking preorders. I assume a large book of M3 preorders will lead to another round of financing and factory expansion plans.

Thoughts/summary on production capacity development:

- As said above, current lines good for max 100,000/year when running at peak constantly
- That would mean if we keep current growth of 50% yoy (2015: 50,000, 2016: 75,000...) they would need a new line by 2017.
- There is still enough space to put new lines into Fremont, that would be the easiest thing to do
- From a logistics point of view it will make sense at some point to put a factory into Europe or Asia though.

My guess:
- In 2016/2017 a combination of one additonal line in Fremont and some extension of the work they do in Tilburg (I think with the new facility they just opened this fall they already moved to more parts being assembled, could do that again to take the work load off the assembly line bottleneck in Fremont), in parallel to building a new factory somwhere else in Europe with lower labor costs than Netherlands, that also in preparation for Model 3
- When Model 3 comes: maxing out Fremont with lines, additional factory in Asia

Benz:
Yeah, autopilot is cool and it shows they are leaders :smile:. I am not really doubting demand, but production capacity is another matter.

electracity:
Sure, I think Model 3 reveal will be great and I am very "bullish" about Tesla :smile:. But this question I think is still important even though it won't change the case that much. I agree another capital raise after Model 3 could happen. The coming year will be interesting for sure.

Anyway, maybe someone will have the information asked and will share it. I think I am going to assume they can increase capacity and will do so, but that there is substantial risk they will not be able to fill demand.

- - - Updated - - -

hobbes:
Yeah, to me it seems the easiest way would be to duplicate the line in Fremont, as then they would have the processes and robots already tuned. But yeah, not like I know anything about how to build car factories.

It is still speculation though and it would be nice to know if this is likely or if they want to use the spare Fremont capacity to Model 3.

Benz:
Yeah, autopilot is cool and it shows they are leaders :smile:. I am not really doubting demand, but production capacity is another matter.

electracity:
Sure, I think Model 3 reveal will be great and I am very "bullish" about Tesla :smile:. But this question I think is still important even though it won't change the case that much. I agree another capital raise after Model 3 could happen. The coming year will be interesting for sure.

Anyway, maybe someone will have the information asked and will share it. I think I am going to assume they can increase capacity and will do so, but that there is substantial risk they will not be able to fill demand.

- - - Updated - - -

hobbes:
Yeah, to me it seems the easiest way would be to duplicate the line in Fremont, as then they would have the processes and robots already tuned. But yeah, not like I know anything about how to build car factories.

It is still speculation though and it would be nice to know if this is likely or if they want to use the spare Fremont capacity to Model 3.

Just looked up the capacity of NUMMI plant in Fremont before Tesla moved in: 385,000/year, so no limit as far as space is concerned until Model 3 comes along (source: GM Nummi Plant). Tesla has constantly increased production over the years and also raised capital all along without impact to share price, their expectation is to be cash flow positive some time next year, so I don´t see any basic things that would stop the growth right now. Delays, sure, but nothing in the big picture. And the Giga Factory was designed with Model 3 in mind, too, and will supposedly start producing next spring.

Just looked up the capacity of NUMMI plant in Fremont before Tesla moved in: 385,000/year, so no limit as far as space is concerned until Model 3 comes along (source: GM Nummi Plant). Tesla has constantly increased production over the years and also raised capital all along without impact to share price, their expectation is to be cash flow positive some time next year, so I don´t see any basic things that would stop the growth right now. Delays, sure, but nothing in the big picture. And the Giga Factory was designed with Model 3 in mind, too, and will supposedly start producing next spring.

True, but remember that Freemont at full production can meet about 1% of worldwide automobile demand. The good news is that Tesla only needs a tiny percentage of total automobile demand to do well. The bad news is that if there is a fairly rapid shift to EV Tesla can't possibly have a large market share.

True, but remember that Freemont at full production can meet about 1% of worldwide automobile demand. The good news is that Tesla only needs a tiny percentage of total automobile demand to do well. The bad news is that if there is a fairly rapid shift to EV Tesla can't possibly have a large market share.

If Tesla can clone Gigafactories fast enough they can probably clone Fremont to catch up too. There's enough auto production capacity but not enough battery production capacity. It's not that improbable that by the time EVs are becoming popular there will be bankruptcies or other shenanigans that can allow quick factory expansion for Tesla.

The NUMMI plant built less expensive vehicles. So I'm not sure that Tesla can do 500,000 of three types of vehicles in that space. I assume Toyota was building engines elsewhere.

If by 2025 Tesla had 3 Fremont's and three gigafactories at full production they would be doing 2-3% of worldwide vehicle demand. It doesn't seem to me they could finance more than that effort, but who knows.

I would hate to be the guy at Tesla placing the battery order from Panasonic.

The NUMMI plant built less expensive vehicles. So I'm not sure that Tesla can do 500,000 of three types of vehicles in that space. I assume Toyota was building engines elsewhere.

If by 2025 Tesla had 3 Fremont's and three gigafactories at full production they would be doing 2-3% of worldwide vehicle demand. It doesn't seem to me they could finance more than that effort, but who knows.

I would hate to be the guy at Tesla placing the battery order from Panasonic.

Tesla is moving various parts production out of Fremont.

Seat and trim manufacturer Futuris got their own place in Newark.

Tesla purchased former Chrysler facility in Lanthrop and hiring CNC machinist. Probably will produce motors and reduction gears there.

Tesla purchased a rather large building with a larger plot in front of Fremont that was owned by UAW.

Tesla has signed a long term lease on the Solyndra building in Fremont.

And they will be manufacturing battery cells and battery packs at the Gigafactory moving pack manufacture and assembly out of Fremont.

Fremont's 7 story stamping machine is good for 500k cars per year and so is their new paint booth.

No clear statements on this from the earnings call. They did say they are committed to bring the margins up and invest in production, though.
?? What are you referring to? The topic of this thread is "production capacity improvment for Model S and Model X." The certainly made a clear statement on that:
During the factory shut down, we retooled our final assembly line to increase throughput by over 35%
It was in the shareholder letter:
http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...E16-DE1FAC0BABDF/Q3_15_Shareholder_Letter.pdf

I apologize for haven't reading this entire thread (in case this was already covered) but Tesla is estimating manufacturing 100k+ cars (Model S&X) by 2017. That is with one, 8 hour shift. When Toyota was producing 500K cars a year out of the same factory, I'm told it was with two, 8 hour shifts (verification?). Get 2 shifts going at Tesla and you have 200K cars.

I apologize for haven't reading this entire thread (in case this was already covered) but Tesla is estimating manufacturing 100k+ cars (Model S&X) by 2017. That is with one, 8 hour shift. When Toyota was producing 500K cars a year out of the same factory, I'm told it was with two, 8 hour shifts (verification?). Get 2 shifts going at Tesla and you have 200K cars.

Interesting... do you have a source that the S+X line is 1-shift only even with a rate of 2000 per week?

Hmmmm, good point, Lango. This is something I just assumed (yeah, I know the old saying!) there is only one shift after having never read about a second. I've read plenty about workers coming in on Saturdays and working overtime, but never a reference to a second shift. Seems like this could be something that can be easily verified by anyone who has taken the Tesla tour!

Hmmmm, good point, Lango. This is something I just assumed (yeah, I know the old saying!) there is only one shift after having never read about a second. I've read plenty about workers coming in on Saturdays and working overtime, but never a reference to a second shift. Seems like this could be something that can be easily verified by anyone who has taken the Tesla tour!

I've asked poster who insist that Tesla is always supply constrained about a second shift and never receive an answer. A car company continuously supply constrained for years would be running two full shifts, and doing repairs, maintenance and catch up on the third shift.

No one knows mature S/X demand. 100,000/year of a $100,000 electric car is a fairly scary number.