TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Production delays explained

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by rush6410, May 19, 2017.

1. rush6410

rush6410 Member

I took delivery of my X in December 2016. While waiting, there seemed to be a lot of confusion why some orders jumped from entered production to preparing for delivery within days and others sat in production for weeks. I believe I finally understand following a factory tour yesterday.

During the factory tour one of the areas was for the finishing of the X and S. Basically it is a painted in ordered color uni-body chassis. I thought it was interesting that the Xs and Ss where mixed in this stage. All chassis being outfitted with interior options. Anyways, the chassis is being thoroughly inspected. If any flows are detected of any sort, robots pull the car and place it into a buffer in the ceiling to be delivered to a team that diagnosis the issues and I assume fixes any problems. Also during the entire production process inspections are occurring programmaticaly and manually. So, the chassis which already has a VIN associated to it is determined as flawed, it gets pulled for diagnosis. In fact, we saw a few Xs and Ss at different stages of completion had scrap written on the side. Again, just a few.

My assumption is if your X gets pulled from the line, it will be delayed since your VIN is already associated to an order and options.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
  2. karupspc

karupspc Member

Amazing investigative work. Pulitzer Prize will surely be nominated based upon your assumption.

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. rush6410

rush6410 Member

It is one thing to assume the obvious as @karupspc has so elegantly expressed and it is another to actually witness. ....and the Oscar for best dramatic sarcastic performance goes to you my fellow Houstonian.

• Like x 1
  4. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Doesn't this level of detail break the NDA that all factory tour folks sign?

5. MXFan

MXFan Member

Perhaps, but certainly not as bad as telling the Russians classified information. :)

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Or press leaking classified info? :)

Everyone does it these days, so spill all the Tesla beans you can...

7. rush6410

rush6410 Member

I would consider my level of detail as general and common practices. Nothing to be considered unique and specific. My family has been in the auto manufacturing industry for a few generations. Nothing I mentioned would fall outside as general practices.

• Like x 1
  8. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

I had a model s delivered with a cracked a pillar, do you know how that may have occurred based on what you see?

9. rush6410

rush6410 Member

You wouldn't think it would have made it through all the checks. Obviously a flaw in their process. They did mention that they are able to make changes to the process within a day when problems have been identified. Maybe your issue cause them to make a change so it would not happen again.

• Like x 1
  10. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

I hope so, they are building a new car for me that just got in production so hopefully this one will be ok.