Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production delays explained

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my X in December 2016. While waiting, there seemed to be a lot of confusion why some orders jumped from entered production to preparing for delivery within days and others sat in production for weeks. I believe I finally understand following a factory tour yesterday.

During the factory tour one of the areas was for the finishing of the X and S. Basically it is a painted in ordered color uni-body chassis. I thought it was interesting that the Xs and Ss where mixed in this stage. All chassis being outfitted with interior options. Anyways, the chassis is being thoroughly inspected. If any flows are detected of any sort, robots pull the car and place it into a buffer in the ceiling to be delivered to a team that diagnosis the issues and I assume fixes any problems. Also during the entire production process inspections are occurring programmaticaly and manually. So, the chassis which already has a VIN associated to it is determined as flawed, it gets pulled for diagnosis. In fact, we saw a few Xs and Ss at different stages of completion had scrap written on the side. Again, just a few.

My assumption is if your X gets pulled from the line, it will be delayed since your VIN is already associated to an order and options.

I took delivery of my X in December 2016. While waiting, there seemed to be a lot of confusion why some orders jumped from entered production to preparing for delivery within days and others sat in production for weeks. I believe I finally understand following a factory tour yesterday.

During the factory tour one of the areas was for the finishing of the X and S. Basically it is a painted in ordered color uni-body chassis. I thought it was interesting that the Xs and Ss where mixed in this stage. All chassis being outfitted with interior options. Anyways, the chassis is being thoroughly inspected. If any flows are detected of any sort, robots pull the car and place it into a buffer in the ceiling to be delivered to a team that diagnosis the issues and I assume fixes any problems. Also during the entire production process inspections are occurring programmaticaly and manually. So, the chassis which already has a VIN associated to it is determined as flawed, it gets pulled for diagnosis. In fact, we saw a few Xs and Ss at different stages of completion had scrap written on the side. Again, just a few.

My assumption is if your X gets pulled from the line, it will be delayed since your VIN is already associated to an order and options.

Doesn't this level of detail break the NDA that all factory tour folks sign?

You wouldn't think it would have made it through all the checks. Obviously a flaw in their process. They did mention that they are able to make changes to the process within a day when problems have been identified. Maybe your issue cause them to make a change so it would not happen again.

Reactions: Rossy