Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production Halt on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is exactly what I want from them. Clear communication so that I can better plan for delivery. As it is right now, if they deliver on the last day of my current estimate I will have been waiting nearly two months. The entire time I’m having to watch my miles on my trade in and be prepared to take delivery at any point. There are instances since I’ve ordered where I’ve had to cancel plans that require travel since I only have one car. It feels like lock-down-lite.

To add to the frustration, Tesla has automated messaging urging you to complete your delivery profile as soon as possible. I completed my steps literally as soon as I could, but now this may end up biting me in the charge port since stuff like financing and trade ins expire. I talked to my SA and there’s no way to work around this, even if I can’t take delivery because Tesla can’t supply a car to me.

Final point, Tesla has an estimated build date for my car in their internal system. This means they have a decent idea of when my car has been scheduled to roll down the Fremont line. Why can’t they just make this available? If they would publish that it’s expected build date is April 30, and then publish that they don’t expect it to be at the SC until May 15th (vs Expected Delivery 5/5-5/20) I don’t think I’d be as frustrated. These are the actual dates for my reservation as of yesterday at 6pm. Hell even seeing the expected build date change wouldn’t be as frustrating. Right now, having been given a 2-3week window that continues to move further away daily is driving me nuts. I feel like I’m not getting any closer to delivery.
I'm putting in an order soon for MY LR. Do you recommend checking the "Cash" option instead of finance due to the potential expiration of finance option? Is this possible and are you able to change from CASH to FINANCE once VIN is assigned? Has anyone done this recently ?

I'm putting in an order soon for MY LR. Do you recommend checking the "Cash" option instead of finance due to the potential expiration of finance option? Is this possible and are you able to change from CASH to FINANCE once VIN is assigned? Has anyone done this recently ?
No, from what I have later learned, financing is good for 60-90 days so you are safe getting financing immediately for the most part. Your trade in though, I'd asked you sales advisor for when to do that. Since it expires in 30 days it's a little more of a concern. I'd just wait until closer to estimated delivery to complete it.

No, from what I have later learned, financing is good for 60-90 days so you are safe getting financing immediately for the most part. Your trade in though, I'd asked you sales advisor for when to do that. Since it expires in 30 days it's a little more of a concern. I'd just wait until closer to estimated delivery to complete it.
Great, thank you for the quick reply. This is new to me, however I'm loosing confidence in these SAs with every post I read.

Great, thank you for the quick reply. This is new to me, however I'm loosing confidence in these SAs with every post I read.
I had a trade in estimated back on March 17. It just expired yesterday and the estimated delivery dates disappeared. At this point I'm wondering if I'm back at the back of the queue again. But how would I know when to put it in if I don't have delivery dates?

I had a trade in estimated back on March 17. It just expired yesterday and the estimated delivery dates disappeared. At this point I'm wondering if I'm back at the back of the queue again. But how would I know when to put it in if I don't have delivery dates?
I entered the new odometer reading on my trade-in and a few hours later got estimated delivery dates again. They haven't changed. *SHRUG*

Reactions: schnabel45
Same here. Interesting to see if everyone else's dates are disappearing...
This happened to us as well, MY LR Midnight Silver/Black Int 20" Wheels. We have had a roller coaster of dates. Ordered on 3/26, original delivery was 4/23-5/01, it has flip flopped between mid May and late May for delivery. On Friday the date disappeared altogether. Looked on Sunday 4/18 and it's 5/11-5/31 again. I am a Midwest consumer.

This happened to us as well, MY LR Midnight Silver/Black Int 20" Wheels. We have had a roller coaster of dates. Ordered on 3/26, original delivery was 4/23-5/01, it has flip flopped between mid May and late May for delivery. On Friday the date disappeared altogether. Looked on Sunday 4/18 and it's 5/11-5/31 again. I am a Midwest consumer.
Exactly like me, (north suburbs of Chicago) on Friday changed to May 04 - May 18 to change Sunday back to May 11 - May 31 :(

I am Milwaukee, WI and picking up in North suburbs in CHI. When did you order yours, if I may ask?
All is in my signature :) ordered March 22, will pick up in Tesla Schaumburg.
Here is how delivery estimate was changing :)
04.17 - 05.06
04.18 - 05.06
04.19 - 05.06
04.20 - 05.06
04.21 - 05.06
04.22 - 05.06
04.23 - 05.06
04.28 - 05.18
04.29 - 05.19
05.11 - 05.31
05.04 - 05.18
05.11 - 05.31 today

Last edited:
All is in my signature :) ordered March 22, will pick up in Tesla Schaumburg.
Here is how delivery estimate was changing :)
04.17 - 05.06
04.18 - 05.06
04.19 - 05.06
04.20 - 05.06
04.21 - 05.06
04.22 - 05.06
04.23 - 05.06
04.28 - 05.18
04.29 - 05.19
05.11 - 05.31
05.04 - 05.18
05.11 - 05.31 today
That is pretty identical to what I am going through as well. Picking up ours in Highland Park. Sorry, new to the community and didn't see it in your signature.

Reactions: Anndybo
That is pretty identical to what I am going through as well. Picking up ours in Highland Park. Sorry, new to the community and didn't see it in your signature.
Also picking up in Highland park. Drove by yesterday. The lot was pretty barren compared to when I was there on 3/18. My date currently says May 5-16.

I sold my car to a dealer for a $1000 more than Carvana. What's crazy is they gave me more for the car than I paid for it... 2019 Honda CR-V..
The Toyota dealer that SOLD us a used 2018 Prius Four Touring bought it back from us, one year, 11k miles later, for $3k less than we paid for it. Beat Tesla, Carvana, CarMax by $1.5-3k.

For those of you selling a car I recommend you trying CarBuyerUSA. Their quote for me was higher than Carvana by $1000. Other you can try are VROOM, AutoNation. I went through with their 3rd party at home inspection which was very thorough and even made an under carriage video. They dropped the quote for a couple hundred for some paint chips but I negotiated them back. But sorry to say I ended up selling to a friend. Overall I do recommend them as they were very professional and quick.

Reactions: Guvnah
It does not seem to be a production halt to me. I live around the SF Bay Area and I still see trailers with new Tesla quote often on the road. Not sure how they mitigate the chip shortage issue though. For the beginning of quarters they divert most production vehicles to overseas countries since they take longest for travel but at the same time I am sure they will allocate some for the 50-states as otherwise all SA can take 2-months vacations every 4 months if there are no deliveries.

Reactions: Anndybo
It does not seem to be a production halt to me. I live around the SF Bay Area and I still see trailers with new Tesla quote often on the road. Not sure how they mitigate the chip shortage issue though. For the beginning of quarters they divert most production vehicles to overseas countries since they take longest for travel but at the same time I am sure they will allocate some for the 50-states as otherwise all SA can take 2-months vacations every 4 months if there are no deliveries.
Are you certain Tesla is experiencing a chip shortage? The other auto manufacturers cut their chip orders early in 2020 because of expected loss of sales due to covid. The chip manufacturers then shifted production to other products (consumer electronics, PCs, etc) and when the auto companies reinstated their orders later in the year, the chip manufacturing capacity had been reallocated and was not available. But Tesla never experienced a production slowdown and didn't scale back their chip orders.