Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production Halt on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got done with a lengthy discussion with my SA in person. He said they can’t build cars right now due to the microchip shortage. I’d take that with a grain of salt though, I smell BS.
I do too. Honestly, I feel like Tesla keeps the SA in the dark as much as the customers. So, they just say stuff to get people off their backs because they have no idea. I have asked my SA (Southlake TX) about the console and headlights etc in the past, and he told me "the customer usually knows before I do". If Tesla was affected by the shortage, why would they tell the SAs? Then it would leak and could hurt stock prices. Easier to just play the hopping delivery date game.

Reactions: DonaldBecker
I would pay money to connect to a webcam that was pointed at the completed vehicle parking lot at the Fremont factory...:) It would be "fun" to watch what is coming off the assembly line. That way I could obsess over whether every blue MY that rolls off the line is the one I am going to get. Actually, this would be a really bad idea as I could lose 10 to 12 hours a day watching this stream...

Reactions: schnabel45
I would pay money to connect to a webcam that was pointed at the completed vehicle parking lot at the Fremont factory...:) It would be "fun" to watch what is coming off the assembly line. That way I could obsess over whether every blue MY that rolls off the line is the one I am going to get. Actually, this would be a really bad idea as I could lose 10 to 12 hours a day watching this stream...
You just missed your chance, happened back in March. Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Love my Y, I would wait! I ordered one in late 2019 and cancelled when the virus came along. Reordered and got mine last November, with better features and a lower cost!
I waited many months for my 3, and many waited a year or more.
It would have a been a tragic mistake if I didn’t wait, and ended up with something different.
I know it’s a difficult wait, but it’s worth it.

There was a fire at the Fremont Factory sometime back and it burnt a lot of MY parts and hence there is a oparts shortage ( as told to be by SA at Tesla shop). In addition, there is a global semiconductor shortage affecting deliveries from all Auto companies, Mercedes, Ford, GM others delaying the recovery of the Auto industry. President Biden has called a meeting with some of the Tech CEO's to discuss this issue. Hope this gets better soon.

• Disagree
Reactions: transpondster
Our MY LR was supposed to deliver 3/30. Called our local Service Center 3/28 to see if we could take delivery there instead of at-home since our Sales person told us we had to take delivery via phone before we could enter the car & inspect it if we did home delivery. Very knowledgeable person I spoke to on phone looked up our VIN and determined it was being shipped to Boston, MA instead of Portland, OR. Oops. So now we have no VIN and the expected delivery window is 4/13 - 4/25, slipping day-for-day.
Any chance the MY LRs are being re-tooled for new headlights, new battery type, or ____?
Hoping this is worth it - we placed our order first week of Feb and sold wife's CR-V that week. She's OK driving my Ridgeline for now, but not knowing a realistic end-point to this wait is taking the joy out of this purchase (not to mention the ambiguity of the delivery experience & getting access to the vehicle to log what needs fixing since Tesla essentially outsources the QA function to owners and Service Centers to sort out.)

There was a fire at the Fremont Factory sometime back and it burnt a lot of MY parts and hence there is a oparts shortage ( as told to be by SA at Tesla shop). In addition, there is a global semiconductor shortage affecting deliveries from all Auto companies, Mercedes, Ford, GM others delaying the recovery of the Auto industry. President Biden has called a meeting with some of the Tech CEO's to discuss this issue. Hope this gets better soon.

The fire was localized to the Gigapress structure.

It was reported to be minor with negligible damage. Even if we disbelieve that statement, the only parts made in that section of the plant is the large rear casting.

Not saying it's correct either.

But without the casting how exactly, or any single part really. How are you going to finish building the car.

Your one piece short of Legoland!

The service advisor said "burnt a lot of Model Y parts". The rear casting wouldn't burn. Plus we know that the fire in early March didn't keep the factory from hitting record production levels at the end of the quarter, and then filling the lots for overseas shipments in early April.

I personally would rather wait months than ever step into a dealership again. Besides, order any nice car to spec and you will have to wait as well .
Many around here, myself included, don’t mind the wait for our car, but better communication and transparency from Tesla regarding delivery time and where our car is in the process would be welcome.

As an example, my father ordered a Porsche 911 last november, the sales advisor knew exactly when the car went into production, where the car was in the production process up to when it rolled off the line (last week). Tesla with all the technology behind can’t tell you where you are in the line or keep a delivery timeline.

Reactions: will_c
Many around here, myself included, don’t mind the wait for our car, but better communication and transparency from Tesla regarding delivery time and where our car is in the process would be welcome.

As an example, my father ordered a Porsche 911 last november, the sales advisor knew exactly when the car went into production, where the car was in the production process up to when it rolled off the line (last week). Tesla with all the technology behind can’t tell you where you are in the line or keep a delivery timeline.
This is exactly what I want from them. Clear communication so that I can better plan for delivery. As it is right now, if they deliver on the last day of my current estimate I will have been waiting nearly two months. The entire time I’m having to watch my miles on my trade in and be prepared to take delivery at any point. There are instances since I’ve ordered where I’ve had to cancel plans that require travel since I only have one car. It feels like lock-down-lite.

To add to the frustration, Tesla has automated messaging urging you to complete your delivery profile as soon as possible. I completed my steps literally as soon as I could, but now this may end up biting me in the charge port since stuff like financing and trade ins expire. I talked to my SA and there’s no way to work around this, even if I can’t take delivery because Tesla can’t supply a car to me.

Final point, Tesla has an estimated build date for my car in their internal system. This means they have a decent idea of when my car has been scheduled to roll down the Fremont line. Why can’t they just make this available? If they would publish that it’s expected build date is April 30, and then publish that they don’t expect it to be at the SC until May 15th (vs Expected Delivery 5/5-5/20) I don’t think I’d be as frustrated. These are the actual dates for my reservation as of yesterday at 6pm. Hell even seeing the expected build date change wouldn’t be as frustrating. Right now, having been given a 2-3week window that continues to move further away daily is driving me nuts. I feel like I’m not getting any closer to delivery.

Reactions: will_c