Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production (Non-Sig) Model X Vin #'s now being issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was perusing the Tesla Forum and saw that a couple of people posted that they received Production (non-sig) VIN numbers so I checked my mytesla page and was pleased to find I have a Production VIN as well.

Deposit made : Summer 2013
Reservatiom # : 4xxx
Configuration confirmed : December 14, 2015
VIN issued : December 23, 2015
VIN # : 2xx

Configuration : P90D Black with Black 22" rims, Black interior, Black headliner, figured ash, 6 seats, upgraded stereo, premium package, tow hitch, 72 amp charger. (Basically loaded except for ludicrous and winter package.)

All black seemed like the safest bet ordering sight unseen.

Last edited:
Great to hear..... already up to 4xxx (old sequence #). That makes it seem there are moving with the P90Ds quickly. Hopefully, the 90D's will follow quickly as well.

Tesla seems to have slowed the number of invites to the design center to configure. After they got to 9500 two weeks ago, they seem to have only 500 or so since. I guess they have a good handle on backlog and features for now.

No Vin assigned yet. Originally ordered Nov. 19, 2012. Confirmed a X90D. Last weekend when I logged onto MyTesla I saw something to the effect "that parts were being sourced and in the Production Queue". The page also wanted me to update which I did. Then I did not see that message again. I am happy to see there is progress for the PX90's. That is very exciting for you all!

:smile::biggrin::eek: I just got a VIN assigned as well. I was Production Res# 37XX and got VIN #in the low 200's. Just emailed my DS to see what it means - probably not much at this point but March looks promising (maybe February). Things seem to finally be moving along.

I was perusing the Tesla Forum and saw that a couple of people posted that they received Production (non-sig) VIN numbers so I checked my mytesla page and was pleased to find I have a Production VIN as well��.

Deposit made : Summer 2013
Reservatiom # : 4xxx
Configuration confirmed : December 14, 2015
VIN issued : December 23, 2015
VIN # : 2xx

Configuration : P90D Black with Black 22" rims, Black interior, Black headliner, figured ash, 6 seats, upgraded stereo, premium package, tow hitch, 72 amp charger. (Basically loaded except for ludicrous and winter package.)

All black seemed like the safest bet ordering sight unseen.

Interesting. Reservation in the 4,000s and VIN in 200s. I wonder if that means the P option is under 10% of buyers (maybe even only 5%). As a 90D buyer, that makes me happy.... ;)
P.S. - I confirmed the order December 1st.

I did the calc also.... not sure whether there is a direct relationship from Reservation Sequence and VIN. A 90D holder, who still has access to the design center reported that 90D now says Production in First Quarter of 2016.... 70 D remains 2nd half.

Interesting. Reservation in the 4,000s and VIN in 200s. I wonder if that means the P option is under 10% of buyers (maybe even only 5%). As a 90D buyer, that makes me happy.... ;)

Hmmm... After waiting since July 2012, when I learned that the P90D would be ahead of 90D (I was pissed!!). Then I got over it in a few hours and pulled the trigger on the P90D that same night (LOL). I'm done waiting, apparently! Now, I was assigned a VIN and am looking forward to production..... I will sigh a BIG UGH! if I could have waited just a month or 2 for a 90D. That being said... I think I'm now comfortable that I will have the P model (I bought a P85 recently, and I sure LOVE IT!!!). Lastly, anyone know why I, and some others are getting an F000 VIN, when F is Founders, S is Signature, and P is production??

I did the calc also.... not sure whether there is a direct relationship from Reservation Sequence and VIN. A 90D holder, who still has access to the design center reported that 90D now says Production in First Quarter of 2016.... 70 D remains 2nd half.

Vin#'s seem to have a direct relationship to the CONFIRM date and whether "P" or not. Now what that means in terms of a delivery date is anybody's guess

***Update*** (well, not really) - just spoke to my DS after asking him the significance of vin vs. delivery and got a non-committal answer "It means you’ll likely be one of the first tohear from me". About what I expected at this very early date.

Last edited:

Many possible factors for this. These are just theories off the top of my head:

* $5000 not nearly as big of a commitment as $25000 - I'm sure many more people who made non-sig reservations weren't as serious about it.
* The earlier reservations are from 2012 and 2013 - for many people, their financial situation may have changed and they're no longer in the market for a Model X, or they got a new car in the meantime.
* Many people may have expected it to be cheaper (I assume that many non-sig reservation holders aren't as financially unlimited as those who can easily put away $25k for a floating unicorn that they may or may not get in a few years).
* In the same vein, more non-sig owners will go for a 90D.
* VINs will be issued in the order in which people pull the trigger. Many people are probably still planning to buy the car, they're probably just holding off for a month or two.

Again, I have nothing to substantiate any of this, these are just random musings on my part.

We confirmed December 14th, Production reservation 50xx (August 2013), got VIN in mid 300s this afternoon. (Ordered a P90D with seven seats, no subzero pkg, no Ludicrous, California delivery.)
I thought the Production cars would have a "P" in the VIN. We're not picking up in Freemont, yet our VIN also has the "F" in it.
:confused:

Many possible factors for this. These are just theories off the top of my head:

* $5000 not nearly as big of a commitment as $25000 - I'm sure many more people who made non-sig reservations weren't as serious about it.
* The earlier reservations are from 2012 and 2013 - for many people, their financial situation may have changed and they're no longer in the market for a Model X, or they got a new car in the meantime.
* Many people may have expected it to be cheaper (I assume that many non-sig reservation holders aren't as financially unlimited as those who can easily put away $25k for a floating unicorn that they may or may not get in a few years).
* In the same vein, more non-sig owners will go for a 90D.
* VINs will be issued in the order in which people pull the trigger. Many people are probably still planning to buy the car, they're probably just holding off for a month or two.

Again, I have nothing to substantiate any of this, these are just random musings on my part.
Um, Sigs put down $40k not $25k.

We confirmed December 14th, Production reservation 50xx (August 2013), got VIN in mid 300s this afternoon. (Ordered a P90D with seven seats, no subzero pkg, no Ludicrous, California delivery.)
I thought the Production cars would have a "P" in the VIN. We're not picking up in Freemont, yet our VIN also has the "F" in it.
:confused:

No but it is being built in Fremont isn't it? All VIN's have that F. ;-)