Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production Quality Issues at Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I forgot where else on TMC I read about this or someone mentioned it, but I did also notice the chrome trim that goes under my driver window to the left rear passenger's window is not aligned either. Notice how much lower it is under the driver window. This problem is only on this side of car though. It's not on the passenger's side.

Attachments

• IMG_20160830_202854.jpg
    IMG_20160830_202854.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 205
  • Informative
Reactions: KZKZ
these pics are awesome. thanks for sharing. do you guys know of any other threads or search terms where I can see pics of cosmetic issues ppl complain about?

I read them but seeing really helps identify what to look out for.

thanks in advance.

I think I'll look at my Honda, Lexus and Ford with a fine tooth comb and see if they are perfect or not. My Honda had a few scratches on it when I bought it new off the lot, but I haven't noticed anything else. I try not to look too close. I saw an early production MX that was being used for test drives and it had terrible fit and finish issues. Made me a bit worried for Tesla.

I think I'll look at my Honda, Lexus and Ford with a fine tooth comb and see if they are perfect or not. My Honda had a few scratches on it when I bought it new off the lot, but I haven't noticed anything else. I try not to look too close. I saw an early production MX that was being used for test drives and it had terrible fit and finish issues. Made me a bit worried for Tesla.

According to my detailer, who has done hundreds of Teslas, he said the fit and finish on the MX is still horrible. He said Tesla has finally somewhat gotten it right with the MS.

I forgot where else on TMC I read about this or someone mentioned it, but I did also notice the chrome trim that goes under my driver window to the left rear passenger's window is not aligned either. Notice how much lower it is under the driver window. This problem is only on this side of car though. It's not on the passenger's side.
I've got this issue on both sides of my new Model S. I accepted the car anyway.

I've got this issue on both sides of my new Model S. I accepted the car anyway.

Do you plan on having it fixed? I also still took delivery in Aug, but I noted the issue to the service center.

I finally got a service appt. to fix these issues on Oct 6. The service rep told me that because of the backlog of customers' cars being fixed, I should expect my car to be away for about a week. I'll get a loaner, which is great, but she told me it might not be a Tesla. The backup would be a car from Enterprise.

Do you plan on having it fixed? I also still took delivery in Aug, but I noted the issue to the service center.

I finally got a service appt. to fix these issues on Oct 6. The service rep told me that because of the backlog of customers' cars being fixed, I should expect my car to be away for about a week. I'll get a loaner, which is great, but she told me it might not be a Tesla. The backup would be a car from Enterprise.

Same happened to me: 6 days gone and an Enterprise rental. The SC told me I could pick any car I wanted on their lot... I chose a Jag that sucked hard.

Pretty common. Mine has that too. They keep pushing it down and it keeps popping back up.

My MS60, delivered on 9/9/16, has the EXACT same issue. Your pic looks just like mine, and I mean just like. I have a service scheduled for 9/21 for a few other things, so I'm considering bringing it up. I'm worried they may make it worse or damage the paint. I'd rather just leave if that's the case... o_O

Got my S60 yesterday. Exterior: paint better than my last BMW. One minor cut line problem not worth bothering with. Gap width typical of an aluminum bodied car.everything works. Interior: upholstery carpets general fit and finish virtually perfect. Steering wheel 1 spline tooth off perfect. Should have been cought before delivery. Again not worth worrying about. On a 100 point scale, I would give it about 2 points less than a German or Lexus. On the other hand, I have seen cars from them worse. Most people would never see what I see. Since my car is as low end as a Tesla gets,and was made during a major line refit and ramp up,I consider the results very good.

I guess I should, but I don't want to give up the car! Maybe I'll try to schedule it for when I'm out of town for the holidays?

That's a pet peeve of mine. It just screams low quality and no quality checks. Plus you see it all the time. The Model X seems to be a poster child for misaligned doors.

Were they able to fix yours?

Reactions: ssrajputev
Based on the stuff I've been reading this kind of thing is way too common for Tesla. This wasn't near what it should have been for a 100K car and people should hold Tesla more accountable.

Feel free to spend $100,000 on a Tesla, but it's really a $45,000 car, after the rebate, with a $15,000 battery. The base model is more car than 90% of the population really needs. Spending double the base price isn't going to get you a nicer paint job, or better body panel fit and finish. Spending a little over base price will get you a nicer interior finish though.

Reactions: ssrajputev
Same happened to me: 6 days gone and an Enterprise rental. The SC told me I could pick any car I wanted on their lot... I chose a Jag that sucked hard.

Are you serious? A Jag? Did you throw a fit about getting an Enterprise rental? I'm wondering if it'll help me get an actual Tesla as a loaner, since my car will be serviced at the main Fremont location. If I'm forced to actually get an ICE rental, I probably won't even drive it to work everyday, because I'd have to fill gas, actually drive an ICE, and it would take me longer to go to work (won't be able to use the express/HOV lane). My dad is off around the time of the service appointment, so I'd just switch and take our Spark EV to work.

My MS60, delivered on 9/9/16, has the EXACT same issue. Your pic looks just like mine, and I mean just like. I have a service scheduled for 9/21 for a few other things, so I'm considering bringing it up. I'm worried they may make it worse or damage the paint. I'd rather just leave if that's the case... o_O

Hmmm...yeah that's what I'm worried about too. I just had the car completely detailed as well. Hopefully, the service people are careful.