Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production rate reveal... and a new announcement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If my boss asks me when the engineering work on a project is going to be done and I say "It will be done by the end of the month", that is effectively a promise from me that the work will be completed at that time.

If I said "i hope to be completed by the end of the month, if all goes well" then that's effectively what Elon is saying, except he never says "I hope" or "if all goes well".

I do agree with you that different people can interpret these same statements in different ways, but I don't know of any other CEOs that are able to make the statements he does, fail to deliver and get a pass over and over again.

I'm sure there's at least 200,000 people on this planet who is more accomplished at VOIP than you are.

How many people are more accomplished than Musk?

You have a boss.

Elon Musk is his own boss.

You can be replaced by any of the 50,000 CCIE's, and much lesser people who can plug a CAT6A cable into the right phone port and configure some routes on a VOIP switch.

Musk IS Tesla. Musk IS SpaceX.

Do you want me to keep going?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: kablammyman
I'm sure there's at least 200,000 people on this planet who is more accomplished at VOIP than you are.

You have a boss.

You can be replaced by any of the 50,000 CCIE's, and much lesser people who can plug a CAT6A cable into the right phone port and configure some routes on a VOIP switch.

Like any CEO for a public company, Musk reports to the Board of Directors and he could be replaced if the board wanted to. They wouldn't cause they realize that pretty much "Musk IS Tesla," (technically, Musk didn't actually start Tesla but he is the largest shareholder and is considered one of the original co-founders).

The board doesn't care what promises he makes to the public (ok, maybe a little) and whether he hits them or not. Musk has milestones set with the board that he needs to fulfill, those are the ones they care about (and not running out of money).

Reactions: dhrivnak
I agree @boaterva , but they are getting a lot of flak lately on all fronts (production misses, fatal accident, recall), I believe they need some good news.

I'm new to the Tesla obsession. Besides 2008, is the current "crisis mode" the worst since then? Are they more likely to go bankrupt now than at any point since 2008?
I think the bonds are a great buy. You get a nice 7 percent yield for 8 year bond. The problem with the stock is they need money and the bond market is not happy so that leaves the stock market... I.e. Print more shares

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones

You have a boss.

Try not to fall from your lofty perch, you might get hurt noble sir.

So when other people make comments you don't like you go straight to the gutter huh? You don't know a damn thing about me. Doesn't change the fact that when I say I will do something I do it and consider it a promise. Musk has a different standard when he makes proclamations about what he or Tesla are going to accomplish.

You might love the guy (actually clearly you do) but it doesn't change the reality of what he has said vs. what has actually transpired.

Last edited:
Reactions: kablammyman
Man, you are going to hate the next six months.

That’s funny coming from you considering what your political signature was referring to.

You think I will be fuming and upset if Musk is able to deliver over the next six months? Absurd, as I have a deposit for one of his cars and it would be nice to actually get it this year.

Last edited:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Reactions: Stirfelt and MXWing
My thoughts are you sound really insecure and you've come to the right place to voice this thought since there are ridiculous number of hardcore Tesla fans here who would tell people to sell their grandmother if it meant it let them drive an EV.

Speaking of the gutter, care to explain?

Try not to fall from your lofty perch, you might get hurt noble sir.

So when other people make comments you don't like you go straight to the gutter huh? You don't know a damn thing about me. Doesn't change the fact that when I say I will do something I do it and consider it a promise. Musk has a different standard when he makes proclamations about what he or Tesla are going to accomplish.

You might love the guy (actually clearly you do) but it doesn't change the reality of what he has said vs. what has actually transpired.

My responses are proportional to the level of naivety and vitriol displayed. In the Model X crash thread, a future Model X owner was going absolutely hysterical about AP and swore he would never use such a a dangerous and irresponsible tool with his family in the car EVER. I told him I've got $5,000 for his favorite charity if he called up Tesla and stripped EAP from his config. He got quiet real quick.

Point is, I can read people extremely well based on the things that they complain about. I'm pretty sure I'm not talking to a Cisco CCIE and pretty sure about a lot of other things I wont go into to be nice.

I agree with you that people should keep their word. It's much harder to keep your word however when you are trying to do something, no one else has ever done before.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Point is, I can read people extremely well based on the things that they complain about. I'm pretty sure I'm not talking to a Cisco CCIE and pretty sure about a lot of other things I wont go into to be nice.

OMG, whatever fella. I worked for 20 years at the R&D level for the company that Cisco had to hire people away from in order to get their own voice PBX application software going. I have held the equivalent of 5 expert level industry certifications and held multiple Cisco certs when I cared what they were doing.

I routinely have to school Cisco voice IEs about how stuff works, but, do go on with your many "I can read people" predictions.

While I virtually never put people on ignore in this or any other forum, you've just made the list. Have fun with your Model X.

What would be great is to just discuss these cars, the pros and cons, the triumphs and missteps. It's not possible here. There is a cult-like sycophantic level of devotion to Tesla in general and Musk in particular. I don't want to be part of a cult so maybe a Tesla is not right for me.

I have encountered some pretty hard core Audi and BMW fans over the years but they are complete amateurs compared to what goes on at this place.

Sznobriad%C3%B3!

Last edited:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

You at least need to give Teddy credit. :)

My responses are proportional to the level of naivety and vitriol displayed. In the Model X crash thread, a future Model X owner was going absolutely hysterical about AP and swore he would never use such a a dangerous and irresponsible tool with his family in the car EVER. I told him I've got $5,000 for his favorite charity if he called up Tesla and stripped EAP from his config. He got quiet real quick.

Point is, I can read people extremely well based on the things that they complain about.

Yes, sometimes that approach is helpful in sorting the wheat from the chaff. When a particular source isn't entirely devoid of useful information, that you'd just block, forcing some skin into the game and/or calling attention to where there is skin in the game can clear the fog a lot.

Canceling my reservation

I have held the equivalent of 5 expert level industry certifications and held multiple Cisco certs when I cared what they were doing.

Yes, I'm the king of England as well. When someone is near your space, its suspicious to hear about generalities when the audience understands specifics but go on about your equivalent expert level certifications.

I routinely have to school Cisco voice IEs about how stuff works, but, do go on with your many "I can read people" predictions.

Doubtful you would be complaining about Tesla not making $35,000 Model 3 first (and not caring if they go bankrupt) if you were at the career level of schooling CCIE's at Cisco.

What would be great is to just discuss these cars, the pros and cons, the triumphs and missteps. It's not possible here. There is a cult-like sycophantic level of devotion to Tesla in general and Musk in particular. I don't want to be part of a cult so maybe a Tesla is not right for me.

A cult that would sell their own grandma's right? It's one thing to say "I wish I could miss deadlines the way Musk can". That makes sense and we would all understand and relate.

Thinking you and him are the same, and that you are a better person for keeping your word versus Musk being a liar (implied) is something else. That's just an absurd way of relating to things when Musk/Tesla is trying to change the world.

I completely agree with everything you say!

And I'm a believer - I bought for the first time Wednesday at 265 (you can't both be safe and wily - buy now or don't buy! ☺ I don't have a mortgage, and my life savings are 75% into index fund ETFs + 20% into bonds. Buying individual stocks goes against my successful investment strategy, but Tesla is just too much fun and inspiring, I took the bait!)

Well I know timing is everything, and this is "no guarantee of future performance", but I'm feeling pretty happy guessing Tesla was not done last week. I'm in it for the long haul, I believe in Tesla, but my 16 shares bought at $256 (plus 2 at $265) are up 15.3% since. On an annual basis, that's... uh, I think I broke my real-time investment tracker! (values in CA$)

Believe, eh @Jackl1956?

Tesla investment return - 2018-04-05.png

• Love
Reactions: Jack6591
Well I know timing is everything, and this is "no guarantee of future performance", but I'm feeling pretty happy guessing Tesla was not done last week. I'm in it for the long haul, I believe in Tesla, but my 16 shares bought at $256 (plus 2 at $265) are up 15.3% since. On an annual basis, that's... uh, I think I broke my real-time investment tracker! (values in CA$)

Believe, eh @Jackl1956?

View attachment 292020

Great job......wish you all the best.