Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production rate reveal... and a new announcement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're wrong. Tesla is getting 60-90 day terms on their parts for the Model 3. That means Tesla receives the parts on day 0, they deliver and receive customer payment 3-6 weeks later, and then Tesla still has 2.5-10 weeks to pay for the parts.

SpaceX could buy bonds issued by Tesla and/or Elon could sell more of his SpaceX shares to buy those bonds, if banks and investment firms don't snap up the bonds first.

You should really look more carefully at how Tesla works.

And how do you know SpaceX has the money to buy these so called bonds? Do you have a link to SpaceX financials? Since it's private company you must have some inside information on their financials.

There're other threads on expected production numbers. My number's optimistic, yours is pessimistic, maybe in between..? I do think they'll hit 1,800 in the last week.
1800/week is very optimistic but possible, 1500/week is reasonably optimistic (that's where I'm hoping it'll hit).

To hit 5K on the Month they'd have to have averaged about 1K/week the first 3+ weeks of the month AND hit 1800 fully in the last week. 6K would required about 1300/week average to start + 1800 the last week. Doing so while they ended February doing what appears to be sub-1000/week. 6K is not "optimistic", that's crazy town. *shrug*

The hope I have that after the turn-around in February they were able to put things back together by the 3rd week of March and then go near flat out the 4th 200+800+850+900+1450 is where I came in at 4200. If they hit that a proper 1450-1500 the full last week that's pretty good news (similar good news would be about "extrapolate 1800/week" type burst number).

Their official target was 2500/week, as mentioned above 60% of that is pretty good for Tesla which works out to 1500/week.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkirkwood001
Elon is always late — Elon always comes through.

Agree. Just to elaborate, Elon is late against his own estimates, but they are so aggressive, he is still early with respect to the market.

And how do you know SpaceX has the money to buy these so called bonds? Do you have a link to SpaceX financials? Since it's private company you must have some inside information on their financials.

Elon could borrow $2B against his own Space-X stock to buy any Tesla bonds issued. This is a man who when push came to shove, threw in every singe thing he owned, risking his entire net worth, in an attempt to save both Tesla and Space-X in 2008/2009.

He said this was insanely difficult, because by trying to save both instead of just one, he was risking the survival of both and losing his last $1M. So the short thesis is that this man would just let Tesla die?

Agree. Just to elaborate, Elon is late against his own estimates, but they are so aggressive, he is still early with respect to the market.

Elon could borrow $2B against his own Space-X stock to buy any Tesla bonds issued. This is a man who when push came to shove, threw in every singe thing he owned, risking his entire net worth, in an attempt to save both Tesla and Space-X in 2008/2009.

He said this was insanely difficult, because by trying to save both instead of just one, he was risking the survival of both and losing his last $1M. So the short thesis is that this man would just let Tesla die?
First Elon would need to find somebody to by those shares, SpaceX has already sold shares in the company last August and November, so you sure there is enough interest to buy that many Shares. And if Elon sold that many shares would he lose controlling interest in SpaceX?

First Elon would need to find somebody to by those shares, SpaceX has already sold shares in the company last August and November, so you sure there is enough interest to buy that many Shares. And if Elon sold that many shares would he lose controlling interest in SpaceX?
You can borrow money against assets. Elon could easily borrow money against his share of Space-X.

Reactions: erthquake
Hot damn, they broke 2,000 last week! No capital raise needed this year!

Tesla Q1 2018 Vehicle Production and Deliveries

PALO ALTO, Calif., April 03, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Q1 production totaled 34,494 vehicles, a 40% increase from Q4 and by far the most productive quarter in Tesla history. 24,728 were Model S and Model X, and 9,766 were Model 3. The Model 3 output increased exponentially, representing a fourfold increase over last quarter. This is the fastest growth of any automotive company in the modern era. If this rate of growth continues, it will exceed even that of Ford and the Model T.

We were able to double the weekly Model 3 production rate during the quarter by rapidly addressing production and supply chain bottlenecks, including several short factory shutdowns to upgrade equipment.

In the past seven days, Tesla produced 2,020 Model 3 vehicles. In the next seven days, we expect to produce 2,000 Model S and X vehicles and 2,000 Model 3 vehicles. It is a testament to the ability of the Tesla production team that Model 3 volume now exceeds Model S and Model X combined. What took our team five years for S/X, took only nine months for Model 3.

Given the progress made thus far and upcoming actions for further capacity improvement, we expect that the Model 3 production rate will climb rapidly through Q2. Tesla continues to target a production rate of approximately 5,000 units per week in about three months, laying the groundwork for Q3 to have the long-sought ideal combination of high volume, good gross margin and strong positive operating cash flow. As a result, Tesla does not require an equity or debt raise this year, apart from standard credit lines.

Q1 deliveries totaled 29,980 vehicles, of which 11,730 were Model S, 10,070 were Model X, and 8,180 were Model 3. Net orders for Model S and X were at an all-time Q1 record, and demand remains very strong. Model S and X customer vehicles in transit were high. 4,060 Model S and X vehicles were in transit to customers at the end of Q1, which was 68% higher than at the end of Q4 2017. An additional 2,040 Model 3 vehicles were also in transit to customers. These vehicles will be delivered in early Q2 2018, which keeps us on track for our full-year 2018 Model S and X delivery guidance.

Finally, we would like to share two additional points about Model 3:
  • The quality of Model 3 coming out of production is at the highest level we have seen across all our products. This is reflected in the overwhelming delight experienced by our customers with their Model 3's. Our initial customer satisfaction score for Model 3 quality is above 93%, which is the highest score in Tesla's history.
  • Net Model 3 reservations remained stable through Q1. The reasons for order cancellation are almost entirely due to delays in production in general and delays in availability of certain planned options, particularly dual motor AWD and the smaller battery pack. As described above, owner happiness with the product is extremely high.
We would like to thank our customers, suppliers and investors for their continued patience and belief in Tesla.

Our delivery count should be viewed as slightly conservative, as we only count a car as delivered if it is transferred to the customer and all paperwork is correct. Final numbers could vary by up to 0.5%. Tesla vehicle deliveries represent only one measure of the company's financial performance and should not be relied on as an indicator of quarterly financial results, which depend on a variety of factors, including the cost of sales, foreign exchange movements and mix of directly leased vehicles.​

BAM.

Okay, okay. Maybe "Tesla does not require an equity or debt raise this year, apart from standard credit lines" means they have to find some way to refund their bond issue, but perhaps the assumption is Elon will fund this via SpaceX, i.e. no new investors needed.

Still, a promising production figure, promising production quality, promising mid- and long- financial situation. Hard to beat. (Thanks for this @Andrew)

Hot damn, they broke 2,000 last week! No capital raise needed this year!

Tesla Q1 2018 Vehicle Production and Deliveries

PALO ALTO, Calif., April 03, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Q1 production totaled 34,494 vehicles, a 40% increase from Q4 and by far the most productive quarter in Tesla history. 24,728 were Model S and Model X, and 9,766 were Model 3. The Model 3 output increased exponentially, representing a fourfold increase over last quarter. This is the fastest growth of any automotive company in the modern era. If this rate of growth continues, it will exceed even that of Ford and the Model T.

We were able to double the weekly Model 3 production rate during the quarter by rapidly addressing production and supply chain bottlenecks, including several short factory shutdowns to upgrade equipment.

In the past seven days, Tesla produced 2,020 Model 3 vehicles. In the next seven days, we expect to produce 2,000 Model S and X vehicles and 2,000 Model 3 vehicles. It is a testament to the ability of the Tesla production team that Model 3 volume now exceeds Model S and Model X combined. What took our team five years for S/X, took only nine months for Model 3.

Given the progress made thus far and upcoming actions for further capacity improvement, we expect that the Model 3 production rate will climb rapidly through Q2. Tesla continues to target a production rate of approximately 5,000 units per week in about three months, laying the groundwork for Q3 to have the long-sought ideal combination of high volume, good gross margin and strong positive operating cash flow. As a result, Tesla does not require an equity or debt raise this year, apart from standard credit lines.

Q1 deliveries totaled 29,980 vehicles, of which 11,730 were Model S, 10,070 were Model X, and 8,180 were Model 3. Net orders for Model S and X were at an all-time Q1 record, and demand remains very strong. Model S and X customer vehicles in transit were high. 4,060 Model S and X vehicles were in transit to customers at the end of Q1, which was 68% higher than at the end of Q4 2017. An additional 2,040 Model 3 vehicles were also in transit to customers. These vehicles will be delivered in early Q2 2018, which keeps us on track for our full-year 2018 Model S and X delivery guidance.

Finally, we would like to share two additional points about Model 3:
  • The quality of Model 3 coming out of production is at the highest level we have seen across all our products. This is reflected in the overwhelming delight experienced by our customers with their Model 3's. Our initial customer satisfaction score for Model 3 quality is above 93%, which is the highest score in Tesla's history.
  • Net Model 3 reservations remained stable through Q1. The reasons for order cancellation are almost entirely due to delays in production in general and delays in availability of certain planned options, particularly dual motor AWD and the smaller battery pack. As described above, owner happiness with the product is extremely high.
We would like to thank our customers, suppliers and investors for their continued patience and belief in Tesla.

Our delivery count should be viewed as slightly conservative, as we only count a car as delivered if it is transferred to the customer and all paperwork is correct. Final numbers could vary by up to 0.5%. Tesla vehicle deliveries represent only one measure of the company's financial performance and should not be relied on as an indicator of quarterly financial results, which depend on a variety of factors, including the cost of sales, foreign exchange movements and mix of directly leased vehicles.​

I'm excited to see how many of those were delivered in US vs exported. I'm selfishly hoping we get a lot of Canadian Model 3 deliveries this quarter so I might have a shot at the credit when I tentatively take delivery of my SR in Q4....
Has anyone in Canada gotten a VIN? They only started getting invites about a week ago so quite possible those configs have barely started making it to the factory floor portion of the pipeline.

Tell that to Facebook when they lost $300M of satellites in 2016 when Falcon 9 exploded on takeoff.

Musk is a visionary and clearly one of the most capable entrepreneurs of the 21st century.

Your complete hero worship of him is nauseating.
FB didn't lose anything AFAIK. They had a contract to lease capacity from the owner, Eutelsat, but I'm sure there are provisions for problems with the satellite in their contract. The satellite was insured for $300 million.

SpaceX Explosion Draws Attention to Insurance for Rocket Science

Reactions: erthquake
FB didn't lose anything AFAIK. They had a contract to lease capacity from the owner, Eutelsat, but I'm sure there are provisions for problems with the satellite in their contract. The satellite was insured for $300 million.

SpaceX Explosion Draws Attention to Insurance for Rocket Science

Yeah, I know it was insured.

It was more of a response to Musk "always delivering". He has promised many things that he has been unable to deliver. I'm a fan of his, but not a sycophant.

Sorry, I meant the S/X exports vs domestic. I doubt any of those Model 3s left the states. I'm hoping that changes big time over the next 3 months
Ah.

Given how widespread the Canadian invites appeared to already be last week, decent guess that any M3 reservation holder willing to buy a 1st Prod unit will have their's by sometime in July.

In case it wasn’t clear, what I meant about the accident was that lots of cars have AP functionality and all we hear about is when Tesla have incidents because to the media Tesla is defined as AP. And in this case, the death seems to have been caused by the non-replacement of the crash-cushion.

The death was the result of the car running head on into a guard rail while in AP. I highly doubt any AP level 5 will ever be approved without Lidar. Cameras are too limited to be the only information source. The combination of both Lidar and Cameras are needed to be safe. Lidar would of seen the victim of the UBER death long before any camera could of identified the danger. It would of also added information about the road in the Tesla death that may of saved the drivers life.

The bar will be held much higher for any self driving car than for a person. Even though the stats show humans are much more likely to cause an accident. The public has no appetite for a machine killing someone but will tolerate a person killing someone in a car accident.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8 and alseTrick