Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production Stages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an update tonight from my (super-awesome!) DS, Cale about the status of my car:

As far as your production goes, you are currently in the 4th to final stage of production. In a nutshell, this means that your car has gone through general assembly and is now acquiring special parts adjustments before being sent to the testing stages and final ‘beautification’ before transit.

I'm wondering if we can figure out what the other stages of production are for this car? Or perhaps it's already been discovered elsewhere, I just didn't see anything in my searches. I'll have to ask, but I wonder if testing and "beautification" are included in those final 4 stages for my car. I've also asked how many stages there actually are for production.

Anyone have any thoughts or information to contribute?

I interpret that email to mean that your car has come off the production line, is being adjusted (the 4th stage of production), goes to testing (how many testing stages?), and then "beautification."

Mine just passed the water test. I don't know what the order of the stages of testing is but I did ask where my car is off to next. We'll see what they say, if anything. My guess is that the testing stages aren't exactly always in the same sequence. That is pure speculation, although, I suspect that passing burn in is always the last testing stage before "beautification."

Got another update from Cale (seriously, he's awesome!):

As per stages, it can be easily broken down into 4 final stages of manufacturing after the general production line, followed by 2 steps of physical testing and detailing. The only caveat being that there can be a repeat between the end of the manufacturing stages and the physical testing as necessary.

So, those 4 stages don't include testing/detailing. I'm curious how long the final 4 stages will last. Perhaps there's hope they can get my car done by this weekend?

I interpret that email to mean that your car has come off the production line, is being adjusted (the 4th stage of production), goes to testing (how many testing stages?), and then "beautification."

Mine just passed the water test. I don't know what the order of the stages of testing is but I did ask where my car is off to next. We'll see what they say, if anything. My guess is that the testing stages aren't exactly always in the same sequence. That is pure speculation, although, I suspect that passing burn in is always the last testing stage before "beautification."

I read somewhere (oh.. memory.. why do you fail me?) that they used to do the water test towards the end, but discovered that if there was a leak, the interior would get damaged, so now they've moved that up to before the interior is installed.

Does anyone know what does the "beautification" stage includes? A washing and wax job and interior cleaning and finishing -- something like a traditional "detailing" that might be done locally?

The reason that I ask is that one of the first planned stops for may car after delivery will be a detailer I know and trust. I want him to clay bar all of the exterior paint surfaces then apply HD Nitro Seal, a two part copolymer paint sealant system. This stuff is supposed to impart a shine and finish superior even to Zaino products, which I have known as the best in the business. All of this will take about two days, but I think that it's best to invest the time and effort in protection of the finish sooner rather than later.

On the other hand, if Tesla does an outstanding detailing job, all of this can wait.

I would think it would correlate with the stages in the below blog post, but from the sound of it, they don't line up.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/tesla-factory-birthplace-model-s
Yes, a 2010 overview, seems like it should still apply. A couple of interesting items:
With this engineering feat, you'll be able to quickly swap an empty battery for a full one, should the need arise on long road trips.
They haven't edited this out or qualified it yet. So I assume the hardware, if not the procedures and infrastructure, still permits this.

And

Instead of wasting gallons of water to perform the leak test, we will instead employ ultrasonic waves inside the car as a device on the exterior detects escaping waves. With this scientific fluid ingress test system, we will save precious natural resources.
The water testing is waterless still (assuming this hasn't changed).