Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production Tire sizes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a tire and lube technician (unnecessarily self aggrandizing title) living in Canada, I definitely wanna have a second set of rims for my winter tires, and I'd like to snatch up some good tires when they go on sale, as I'm sure a lot of prospective M3 owners would as well.

So which ones? I don't know who knows what, and is allowed to say, but what are we looking at? 18" and 19", Go!!

I'm planning to get the standard aeros and swap in aftermarket lightweight 18"s as well so if anyone has the specs for the 18's please post them. There are many more tire choices in 18" (like PSS) than 19" in the sizes below.

235/40R19
Size: 19X8.0″
Offset: +40
PCD: 5X120
Center Bore: 64.1mm
Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft.

235/45R18
Size: 19X?″ (I will guess 8" as well based on tire size)
Offset: +?? (hope it will be +40 to +45)
PCD: ?????
Center Bore: ????
Lug Nut Spec: ?????
Lug Nut Torque Spec: ????

I'm planning to get the standard aeros and swap in aftermarket lightweight 18"s as well so if anyone has the specs for the 18's please post them. There are many more tire choices in 18" (like PSS) than 19" in the sizes below.

235/40R19

235/45R18
Size: 18X?″ (I will guess 8" as well based on tire size)
Offset: +? (hope it will be +40 to +45)
PCD: ?
Center Bore: ?
Lug Nut Spec: ?
Lug Nut Torque Spec: ?

The size of the tire doesn't determine how quickly it wears out. It is the tread wear rating of the tire that matters (and how you drive). However, it is more common for people who buy bigger tires to also buy tires with lower tread wear ratings (and drive in a way that causes quicker wear). You can buy bigger tires with a higher tread wear rating if you want. However, manufactures don't usually make really big tires with high tread wear ratings because people won't buy them.

Disclaimer: The words lower, higher, quickly, big, bigger and really big are all relative and subjective. ;)

235/40R19

235/45R18
Size: 18X?″ (I will guess 8" as well based on tire size)
Offset: +? (hope it will be +40 to +45)
PCD: ?
Center Bore: ?
Lug Nut Spec: ?
Lug Nut Torque Spec: ?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR POSTING ON THE 19" Wheel Dimensions!!!... I want to start looking a tire and wheel combos. I am most likely getting RWD Long-Range with estimated delivery Nov '17-Jan '18 and want Winter Performance tires ready to go. I really wanted to get the base 18 inch rims and just get another set of 18inch rims and use the "Aero" rims that come with the car for Winter rims (more range), then either buy 18/19 rims and put either Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Pilot Sport 4/4S whatever their calling the next PSS tire...

The issue is that there are limited winter performance tires in the 235/45/18 tire size. They are all older models that the manufacturers have had newer models out for 2 or more years... Pirelli Sottozero Series ii (They have Sottozero 3 now), Dunlop Wintersport 3D (they have 4D now). I really want the Michelin Alpin PA4 tires as they are the best in the class. I currently have Sottozero 3's for my 2015 Subaru WRX and love them but they are a little loud. The PA4's are said to be the quietest and still matching performance to the Sottozero 3 tire. I want to just have 18inch rims for cheaper tires and smoother ride to do more sidewall... the performance of 18 vs. 19 is nil if you buy good tires with stiff sidewalls. You should actually get more range and therefore performance out of the 18 since they are lighter. (Weight being so important on these cars)

The size of the tire doesn't determine how quickly it wears out. It is the tread wear rating of the tire that matters (and how you drive). However, it is more common for people who buy bigger tires to also buy tires with lower tread wear ratings (and drive in a way that causes quicker wear). You can buy bigger tires with a higher tread wear rating if you want. However, manufactures don't usually make really big tires with high tread wear ratings because people won't buy them.

Disclaimer: The words lower, higher, quickly, big, bigger and really big are all relative and subjective. ;)
^ this, primarily because the larger tires tend to be high performance summer tires as opposed to all-seasons. That's where the difference in the tread wear ratings lies. High performance -> softer rubber -> lower tread life. As they say, wanna play, gotta pay :p

THANKS SO MUCH FOR POSTING ON THE 19" Wheel Dimensions!!!... I want to start looking a tire and wheel combos. I am most likely getting RWD Long-Range with estimated delivery Nov '17-Jan '18 and want Winter Performance tires ready to go. I really wanted to get the base 18 inch rims and just get another set of 18inch rims and use the "Aero" rims that come with the car for Winter rims (more range), then either buy 18/19 rims and put either Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Pilot Sport 4/4S whatever their calling the next PSS tire...

The issue is that there are limited winter performance tires in the 235/45/18 tire size. They are all older models that the manufacturers have had newer models out for 2 or more years... Pirelli Sottozero Series ii (They have Sottozero 3 now), Dunlop Wintersport 3D (they have 4D now). I really want the Michelin Alpin PA4 tires as they are the best in the class. I currently have Sottozero 3's for my 2015 Subaru WRX and love them but they are a little loud. The PA4's are said to be the quietest and still matching performance to the Sottozero 3 tire. I want to just have 18inch rims for cheaper tires and smoother ride to do more sidewall... the performance of 18 vs. 19 is nil if you buy good tires with stiff sidewalls. You should actually get more range and therefore performance out of the 18 since they are lighter. (Weight being so important on these cars)

Yup, I think we both have the same idea. except for the winter wheel part live in socal. Waiting on to get the 18" wheel specs to pre scope out wheels. I have my eye on The Forgestar F14 wheels on the lower end to BBS CHR on the higher and a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

lbei

235/40R19

BTW, so does this mean standard 19" Model S wheels would fit, albeit with a different tire width and aspect ratio? As otherwise the wheel seems to have identical specs...

Sorry so do we know if the 19" are all season tires and what they're expected life is (miles before replacement?)

We know that both 18" & 19" come with All-Season Tires only. The 19" definitely come with Continental ProContact RX M+S
It says the 19" size and tire type in the MotorTrend review:

Exclusive: Tesla Model 3 First Drive Review - Motor Trend

I am thinking that the 18" all-seasons are either Hankook (supposedly the Model 3 tire supplier from the beginning) although there have been reports that MIchelin is also a supplier so who knows... Some close up shots of the Aero wheels show Michelin Primacy MXM4... so I would guess that's whats on the 18's since they are a more comfortable tire... and less sporty....

https://cdn.teslarati.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/white-tesla-model-3-aero-wheels.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: AngelArm1110

I happen to not mind the look of the 18" Aero and want to get black/dark grey rims for my silver Model 3... Although I wish there were a larger selection of performance winter tires and I am not sure if Pilot Super Sports will continue to be made in the 235/45/18 size.. it is a weird size... I am thinking of buying with the Aero then getting BBS SX rims in gloss black:

BBS SX

They are 19x8.5 though but that should be okay because the offset is 32mm vs 40mm for standard 19inch rims. I should be good... Am I right? I am really just wondering about TPMS... TireRack has 433Mhz ones? will that work? guess we'll have to wait to find out.

We know that both 18" & 19" come with All-Season Tires only.

Well that's awful.

The reason they call em all seasons is they suck- in all seasons.

Above 40F summer tires do everything better, below 40F winter tires do everything better.

Double suck for the fact I live someplace it snows maybe 2 days a year and those 2 days you're not leaving the house anyway since everything is closed.

(and if I did live someplace with actual winter I'd just have 2 sets of tires like any sane person should)

I get the whole "we want to keep production simple" bit but now folks who don't want em are stuck with either living with crappy all seasons for several years till they wear out, or essentially replacing brand new tires paid for as part of the car with non-suck tires.

I mean, I guess one can try and resell the stock tires, but who the heck would buy barely used all-seasons for any amount worth the trouble of selling em?

Well that's awful.

Above 40F summer tires do everything better, below 40F winter tires do everything better.

Double suck for the fact I live someplace it snows maybe 2 days a year and those 2 days you're not leaving the house anyway since everything is closed.

(and if I did live someplace with actual winter I'd just have 2 sets of tires like any sane person should)

I get the whole "we want to keep production simple" bit but now folks who don't want em are stuck with either living with crappy all seasons for several years till they wear out, or essentially replacing brand new tires paid for as part of the car with non-suck tires.

I mean, I guess one can try and resell the stock tires, but who the heck would buy barely used all-seasons for any amount worth the trouble of selling em?

People will buy those barely used tires, trust me theres a huge market on Craigslist and Ebay (say local pickup only) and you can sell them for 70-80% of their original value... so like $400-$500 especially if the 18s are the Michelin Primacy MXM4 which is what I'm thinking. Those are highly rated and great all-season tires, someone will buy them.

I'd just order tires from tirerack a few days out from delivery and then make an appointment to get new tires the day you get the car or the weekend after. You'll have more fun when you're in the honeymoon period of getting the new car as the car will be faster, handle better and just be exactly what you want... I would highly reccommed the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the 18 inch size or the Continental Extremecontact DW - Both Max Performance Summer Tires and are quiet and very grippy. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are OEM for the P100D.

I would highly reccommed the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the 18 inch size or the Continental Extremecontact DW - Both Max Performance Summer Tires and are quiet and very grippy. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are OEM for the P100D.

The PSS is what I have now in 18s on my IS350- the PS4s are supposedly even better but they only offer them in a single size in 18 now and not the right size for the Aero wheels... so will probably end up with PSSes again unless they start offering more 18s before my car is ready

Not always in my opinion. Some high quality performance all season tires do extremely well over a wide range of conditions, and compared to equal quality summer tires most drivers would not be able tell the difference for 3-season road use. There is more difference between winter and all season tires in snow and ice, but good all seasons (like Conti DWS 06 for instance) are at least manageable for competent drivers.

Not always in my opinion. Some high quality performance all season tires do extremely well over a wide range of conditions, and compared to equal quality summer tires most drivers would not be able tell the difference for 3-season road use. There is more difference between winter and all season tires in snow and ice, but good all seasons (like Conti DWS 06 for instance) are at least manageable for competent drivers.

A few folks have done tests over the years... every time summer tires greatly outperform all-seasons in wet and dry conditions above 40ish degrees... and winter tires do so in cold/snow/ice conditions.

I don't just mean "holding a sharp turn at 90" I mean basic things like braking distance (the tires are what stop the car after all).

Here's one SUPER relevant example since they tested the MXM4 all season- which is apparently coming on the Tesla :(

Tire Test: All-Season vs. Snow vs. Summer

In wet conditions the summer tires stopped from 60 in 157 feet... the all-seasons took 215 feet. That's horrendous.

In dry the all-seasons were "only" 13 feet worse than the summer tires... still about a full car length difference.

In snow the all-seasons took 28 feet longer than winter tires.

I agree the DWSes are the "least terrible" all season BTW... but compare them to the DW above 40 and you will lose every single time... ditto comparing them in the cold/snow/ice to any good winter tire.

Thanks for prompting me to dig that link up though it had been a while since I last read it- and it reminded me how awful the MXM4s are and confirms I'm gonna need to get those things off the car first thing.