Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla did close to what I predicted in another thread on Nov. 20th:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/57569-From-Inside-Sales-Rep-Latest-News-re-Signatures-Production-Configuration-etc/page5

"This is my guess at what will happen. Before 12/31/2015, all the specs and production pricing will be published and the production configurator will open for all Model X reservationists. Everyone with a US (at least) reservation will be able to save a configuration, including X 75D (?) configurations that won't be built until later in 2016. There will be some kind of "all reservations made prior to MM/DD/YY date" rolling window to lock-in those configurations, which become firm orders after 7 days. The date velocity will be dependent upon where the ramp is and is expected to be along with lead times. Of course, Tesla will do production and shipping optimization of these firm orders as they've done before."

It looks like the rolling window is to configure. 70D not 75D available later in 2016. I still need to figure out chargergate. They were smart to start the process 3 days before the long Thanksgiving holiday when many people will have time to ponder and configure.

It's virtually indistinguishable from leather, but softer than the heavier leather used on the alternatives - saw a small sample & loved it enough that I'm definitely picking it for my Founder's config.

The white was for sure the softest, nicest feeling of the ones at the reveal. It is not leather, but synthetic. I'm concerned about the look after a few years, but it specifically says it has a stain resistant coating. To the other question about black leather, the non leather textile option from the S appears to be the no-added charge option.

This is a lot of info to consume after so long with nothing.... LOL!

I had a number in my head on what roughly my X will cost me, but Tesla has given us a friendly reminder that a base model price is exactly a "base". Option overload, and the dollars keep rising...

I'm indifferent bout the HEPA filter, but I want all the LED lights... but that $4500 bundle hurts for something I thought I was already getting (LED headlights and fog lights)

So if you do not select the premium package option, what kind of headlights and rear lights will you get? I thought the lights were uniform through the Model S and was expecting the same for the X...

Anybody not get the email? I have no invite to configure yet
I haven't been invited yet either. Before they axed the sequence numbers I was #3984 (reserved in June of 2013).

I like that they've broken some features out into options, including the third row seats. Will be very interested to see how much more space this gives the rear cargo area, if any. Super happy they're offering the synthetic leather option as well as the new figured ash trim. Also pleased they are including the automatic rear liftgate.

Oh yeah, pretty sure I called it that they'd bring some dark 22" wheels to the table too. Not like that was a tough one though. ;-)

I am happy to see a 5 seat lower cost option. It makes sense that 7 seats would cost more than 5. Maybe $4000 is a bit much though.

My guess is hiring employees and capital expenditure to create a Tesla Seat Factory at 901 Page Road, Fremont where "The Reveal" was (older Solyndra factory) may have factored into a $4K option price. They decided to strip everything out to lower base price as much as possible. Otherwise, it would have been 7 seats are standard at a higher base, with (-$1,000) for 6 and (-4,000) for 5 since 5 seats doesn't require the rear A/C and heating system.

If they had a 2-seat option it would be the world's most high tech cargo van!

Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 8.16.12 PM.png

Here is the midnight blue, my favorite.

I am happy to see a 5 seat lower cost option. It makes sense that 7 seats would cost more than 5. Maybe $4000 is a bit much though.

LOL that's a warped view. They way I see it 7-seat should have been the baseline so really they are giving you less for the same money and for those that want the 7 seater they just got nickel and dimed ripped off another $4000.

I don't have a reservation and Model X is way beyond my affordability point, but I can't help but join in the fun.

:biggrin:

Here is what I would configure:

Model X 90D: 95.5k
Destination & Doc: +1.2k
Exterior

Paint Midnight Silver Metallic (aka dark gray): +1k
Wheels: 20" Silver: included
Interior
Dark Ash Wood: +0.75k
Headliner: Black: included
Upholstery: Ultra White Seats: +2.5k
Six Seat Configuration: +3k
Options:
Autopilot: +2.5k
Smart Air Suspension: included with 90D
Premium Upgrades: +4.5k
Subzero Weather Package: +1k
Towing Package: +0.75k
Accessory Hitch:

Total:
$112,700 + tax :eek:

The interior is where I had the most fun configuring. I chose the Ultra White vegan seats and contrasting black headliner and Dark Ash trim. 6-seats makes a nice center area in the 2nd row for DOG. I would reluctantly skip the Premium Upgrade because I'd like the carbon HEPA filter but not any of the other stuff. Edit: I decided I would want the Premium. I couldn't read the earlier screen shot, but I see in the post above that this gets ventilated front seats. That's enough to tip in favor.

Thanks to all who posted screen shots of the configuration, and I wish everyone Happy Configuration!

Last edited:
Maybe they announced it and I missed it, but I'm pretty pissed about being forced to pay $4000 extra for the 7 seat configuration...sure had the impression all along that that was standard. Lots of nickle and dimeing on this vehicle. Well over our anticipated budget.

From way back when even in the early days the third row was optional. I think things got confused when it wasn't optional for sigs and so people construed that to mean that the 3rd row would always be standard and I think what it really was, was an excuse to limit the variations on X configurations as they try to finalize production and get the line rolling. The founders cars are all basically maxed cars with only paint color and the 6/7 seat, seat color and trim being the main options. The sigs expanded the variation to allow people to not opt for Ludicrous but was pretty much the same choices as founders.

This allows them to push roughly the next 1200-1500 cars (depending on how many founders) through the line with minimal variation.

Anyway, sorry that you thought it would be standard...

Production Configuration Has Begun!

So does the 6-seater include a console in the second row? Or is there an option? It's hard to make out from some of these screen shots. It also looks like the adjustable headrests didn't make it.