Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same question. First in my list a few posts ago. Inside sales told me that reservation number only controls when you get access to the Design Studio. Confirmation is your order of production. So, there are many people that will be ahead of me in the production line (because I still have questions) even though Tesla has had my money for longer (in some cases, much longer).

I would understand that if the lines were running creating batches of my model. But before that? Irks me.

I completely understand why you would be annoyed, but look at it from Tesla's perspective and that of logistics. If they go by when the order is confirmed, they can start sourcing parts, and forecast builds by model. If they go by deposit date, the queue would be constantly changing. Let's say you wait 6 weeks to confirm. When you confirm, if Tesla tried to "insert" you into the build queue, they could end up in a position where many orders behind you have parts sourced, but yours does not. They would have to skip your order, effectively pushing you back anyway. So then you might suggest: ok, give me the earliest build slot where parts can be lined up. But that creates a domino effect pushing every order behind that slot off by one. It would make it impossible to give people an accurate estimated delivery date. At some point you have to draw the line, and confirmed date is the simplest to implement and the easiest to communicate.

I haven't confirmed, either, and I recognize the penalty for doing so is going to be a later delivery. The way I see it, production should be ramping up pretty quickly and the difference will likely be pretty small - a few weeks, perhaps. I am willing to pay that penalty in exchange for some in-person confirmation of certain aspects of the car. For those who are willing and happy to confirm before me (but sit in reservation line behind me), I say more power to them. The car is probably a better fit for them, since they aren't hesitating. They should get it first.

It would be nice to get a little more indication on when to expect delivery...as I'm sure everyone agrees with. We've decided that we'd like to defer taking possession of our Model X 90D (not yet configured obviously), until fall.

However, it seems like things will simply work out that way...but it would be nice to know.

I'm not really sure how deferment works, but I assume it's a straight forward process.

Finally pulled the trigger... My wife says now I don't have a leg to stand on for a long time... but I thought that's what marriage was anyways!

Anyways, I'm pretty set with my config, will sit on it a couple days, and then hit confirm or just let it auto-confirm...

P90D
Obsidian Black Metallic
20 inch silver wheels
6 seater
Black leather seats
Black headliner
Matte Obeche Wood
Premium package
Autopilot
Ultra high fidelity sound system
Subzero
72amp charger
Accessory hitch

Extremely excited to enjoy this vehicle for a very long time!
Sweet ride! :) Congrats on the order. My wife was similarly skeptical but eventually came around. I would buy her jewelry but a.) she's not into that and b.) we can't afford it now! :)

Are you going to go double black and powder coat the wheels after delivery, or do you like the silver/black contrast? I initially was thinking black wheels on the Blue X, but decided I like silver wheels better after all.

BTW, I keep looking for an early "Confirm" button on my My Tesla page but it has not appeared. So it will likely auto-confirm my order on 12/20. Sad to lose access to the design studio but happy to be one step closer to ownership! You shouldn't have too long to wait with a P90D. Here's hoping they ramp up quickly!

I completely understand why you would be annoyed, but look at it from Tesla's perspective and that of logistics. If they go by when the order is confirmed, they can start sourcing parts, and forecast builds by model. If they go by deposit date, the queue would be constantly changing. Let's say you wait 6 weeks to confirm. When you confirm, if Tesla tried to "insert" you into the build queue, they could end up in a position where many orders behind you have parts sourced, but yours does not. They would have to skip your order, effectively pushing you back anyway. So then you might suggest: ok, give me the earliest build slot where parts can be lined up. But that creates a domino effect pushing every order behind that slot off by one. It would make it impossible to give people an accurate estimated delivery date. At some point you have to draw the line, and confirmed date is the simplest to implement and the easiest to communicate.

Very logical. I was just thinking that the parts list by batch wouldn't vary so much as to make it an issue. Any sourced parts would get used quickly. I don't know how "just in time" the lines run. I wouldn't, at all, want my indecision to delay someone else.

This is more a reflection of my emotional desire to have the car positioned against my logical side that, ya know, actually wants to touch an example of what I'd be spending so much on... The early adopter challenge, for sure - but this isn't dropping $200 on a Kickstarter campaign ;)

Thanks for for the reply...
Sean

I apologize for the dumb question in advance:

When you get assigned a VIN, does it show up under your reservation number on the MyTesla page, or somewhere else?

I am only Prod #1071 so I doubt I have a VIN number assigned yet. But I also want to make sure I am not missing it if I need to be looking somewhere else. Thanks in advance!

Are you going to go double black and powder coat the wheels after delivery, or do you like the silver/black contrast? I initially was thinking black wheels on the Blue X, but decided I like silver wheels better after all.

For the moment I will keep the silver/black contrast, but I will look into powder coating them black at some point. I think the double black looks awesome. I REALLY wanted the blue, but my wife nixed that. She says that color looks fine for a sports car but not an SUV. Says its dumb. My retort was "it IS a sports car that looks like a SUV" lol. I had an athens blue Infiniti G37 convertible that I absolutely loved for 5 years and then I had to trade it in for a family SUV right before the twins came. Now she's taking over that vehicle while I get the X. Much to her continued dismay. So because of that, I relented on the deep blue metallic (it's totally more my style and personality) and going with the obsidian black metallic to keep her happy. That was the only color she liked when we streamed the X reveal back in September.