TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

Discussion in 'Model X' started by engle, Nov 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

Just FYI ... Canadian ~400 ... Nothing yet

so hard for a car maniac like me to wait like this ... And to make it worst, I've sold the car the X will replace lately :-(

But, really happy to see the ramp up happening !

2. lowcarbondiet

lowcarbondiet Member

11,8xx - not invited to the party yet.

3. tonyx

tonyx Member

No go, 10917. So now what's the deal, invite 10k then match the "few hundred a week" production expectation?

4. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

That make sense

5. highedu

highedu Member

6. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

Woohoo! #10,085. Fully loaded 90D. :)

7. fawu

fawu Member

#10,6xx - invite received today...

8. RomainiacWV

RomainiacWV Member

10123, config opened today!

9. ZachShahan

ZachShahan Active Member

Ah, that's a shame. I think the blue is my favorite as well. But important to make compromises. Otherwise, the other person has to make all of them!

I do think the black looks stunning as well. Imagine you'll be very happy with it. And the black with black wheels is hard to compete with. Maybe once she steps on the pedal a few times she'll understand it's an XL sports car. :D

10. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

10,176 invited.

Does anyone how the max time I can wait to configure?

11. timf

timf Active Member

You can wait as long as you want, keeping in mind every Monday a new group of people are invited to configure who could potentially push you farther back in the production line.

12. SeanA

SeanA Member

Not sure. Others out here with access are waiting to configure until they see one (smarter than me!), which won't be until Q1. I was given access on 11/30, didn't place my order until last night, and heard nothing from Tesla pushing me along. That's what I "know".

I'd imagine that it will be quite some time before they come asking whether you want your deposit or a car.

Sean

13. gfb107

gfb107 Member

10,320 (reserved on 2014/06/01) invited to configure on 2015/12/21

14. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

You can delay a production X configuration indefinitely. When you decide to configure you jump in at the time you configure and do not go 'to the back of the line'. Best to always confirm this with [email protected]

15. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Production order is determined by
    a) random Tesla decisions to maximize revenue (i.e., if you want your car soon, you have to order a P90D)
    b) date you CONFIRM the order (so after you configure you have the 7 day window to change your mind, then it auto-confirms, or you can manually confirm earlier)
    c) batching during production (Tesla makes similar cars together, so depending on the options that you have chosen your car may move back or forward relative to other cars confirmed within a few weeks of yours - in the case of my Model S this meant that people who confirmed a week after me go their car two weeks before me)

All your reservation number does is define a window when you are allowed to start to configure. By waiting to actually be able to test drive the car you are giving up on the earlier delivery opportunity (assuming you wanted a P90D) that the earlier reservation would have given you. I reserved a Model X in Oct 2013. By now people who reserved 9 months after me have already ordered and confirmed and will get their car before me.

16. PeterK

PeterK Model X & 3 Owner

Two clarifications:
    a) is also about maximizing profits as well as revenue for cash flow - important when Tesla is production constrained.

b) I'm still waiting for access (12,8XX) but my understanding is that you can configure all you want for as long as you want, the 7-day window prior to automatic confirm starts when you click the "Order" button for your desired configuration.

17. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

You are 100% correct on both counts. Thanks for the clarifications

18. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

This has most likely been discussed, but how exactly does deferment work? So, if we confirmed and next year we get an update that Tesla estimates our delivery to occur around May, but we wanted to move the date back to October, how would someone go about doing this?

My apologies if this has been covered, a lot, but I haven't found an answer to this with a cursory search.

19. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Folks used to do this more often in the early days. IIRC, once you place you order, contact them at [email protected] and tell them you want to defer.

O

20. mikevbf

mikevbf Active Member

I would guess there is a:
    d) batching deliveries by geographic region
    as well.