Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figure I'll find a 12-21 month 0% card, put a deposit on the X, and by the time they are actually ready to build it, give the go/no go based on a test drive.

If I order a X70D now, it won't be here until Thanksgiving... so what's the latest I can cancel and get my $ back?

7 days after you hit the order button
Ok, so I guess the more accurate question then would be, how long from putting 5k down to getting to hit said button? And how long can I delay my order, such that I can get a test drive in before I can't get my $ back

If it's from (guessing from the post below me, Oct --> Jan) then it's on a 3 month delay. So by April/May I'd get to configure... Not sure that's far out enough to get my test drives in and see how the seats react to my drool...

Ok, so I guess the more accurate question then would be, how long from putting 5k down to getting to hit said button? And how long can I delay my order, such that I can get a test drive in before I can't get my $ back

If it's from (guessing from the post below me, Oct --> Jan) then it's on a 3 month delay. So by April/May I'd get to configure... Not sure that's far out enough to get my test drives in and see how the seats react to my drool...

I don't think you can extrapolate a 3-month delay as all US reservation holders seem to have been invited at this point. But I don't think there's any time limit on when you have to hit configure once you're invited...

looks like US invites are current. so if you put down $5k now, you will probably get the invite to configure in likely the next batch (which could be next monday based on invites so far). then you can delay pressing the order button indefinitely, for now. there is no pressure from anyone to hit order. i assume that you will get a call from a rep after the X's have been out in the showrooms and then will get to decide if you want it or not.

Congrats to all those invited today. It's nice to see Tesla coming close to their intended goal of inviting all (US, I assume, even though it wasn't stated in the email) reservation holders by the end of the year.

I must admit, though, that it's a bit frustrating to essentially go to the back of the line just because I want a test drive before committing. It'd have been nice to have had some test drive events scheduled prior to all reservations effectively becoming equal.

I must admit, though, that it's a bit frustrating to essentially go to the back of the line just because I want a test drive before committing. It'd have been nice to have had some test drive events scheduled prior to all reservations effectively becoming equal.

Zaxxon, I am hopeful that Tesla will continue to provide some level of priority to reservation number. That is, if you order a 90D in April, but they haven't started delivering 90Ds, I would like to imagine you'd still get priority over someone who hit the order button sooner. Depending on the manufacturing queue, etc. I just mean all things being equal, if they haven't started a 21k reservation, and they haven't started your identical, but later confirmed 5k reservation, it seems fair that yours should be built first.

Congrats to all those invited today. It's nice to see Tesla coming close to their intended goal of inviting all (US, I assume, even though it wasn't stated in the email) reservation holders by the end of the year.

I understand your feeling. I went ahead and ordered last Wednesday without a test drive as I've driven my S 40,000 miles. But I was just thinking how it seems a little unfair that people who reserved more than a year after me (I was September 2, 2014) got to configure a week after me. I hope Tesla somehow factors in reservation date when scheduling production.

I placed a reservation 1/10/16 and was invited to configure today. One change on the configurator from previous posts: the auxiliary, factory installed, accessory hitch now is a 2" rather than a 1.24". I am ordering a 5 seat, 70D. I am going to wait until I can drive one, and see how much space will be available with out the third row. I too am hoping for folding seats, but with very low expectations of it ever happening. I will be asking how much weight the hitch can hold as I hope to be able install a cargo rack, allowing me to migrate south in the winter(we bring a ton of stuff in our Odyssey minivan, second row removed, third row folded flat). No kids, I am not a car person (really? Odyssey minivan), but am sold on electric vehicles and Tesla is the only one with enough range to get me from Portland, OR to Palm Desert, CA and home again.

Zaxxon, I am hopeful that Tesla will continue to provide some level of priority to reservation number. That is, if you order a 90D in April, but they haven't started delivering 90Ds, I would like to imagine you'd still get priority over someone who hit the order button sooner. Depending on the manufacturing queue, etc. I just mean all things being equal, if they haven't started a 21k reservation, and they haven't started your identical, but later confirmed 5k reservation, it seems fair that yours should be built first.

I would hope so but am not counting on it. If I had to place a bet I would say they'll likely go in order of commit, subject to the usual batching for efficiency.

PeterK said:
I understand your feeling. I went ahead and ordered last Wednesday without a test drive as I've driven my S 40,000 miles. But I was just thinking how it seems a little unfair that people who reserved more than a year after me (I was September 2, 2014) got to configure a week after me. I hope Tesla somehow factors in reservation date when scheduling production.

I've driven the S and figure the drive is likely similar but a bit higher. It's the 3rd-row seating and cargo capacity we really need to see in person. Plus my wife is not a fan of the entry'exit of the S and wants to try the X herself before committing.

All this said, I also can see how someone willing to commit today would be miffed if others that just happened to reserve (but not commit) earlier get pushed ahead of them. Really, all I wish is that Tesla had set a few vehicles aside and had a test drive event tour like they did when the Ds came out. I imagine they may do that, but 6 months after 'launch' doesn't quite cut it for me.

I would hope so but am not counting on it. If I had to place a bet I would say they'll likely go in order of commit, subject to the usual batching for efficiency.

I've driven the S and figure the drive is likely similar but a bit higher. It's the 3rd-row seating and cargo capacity we really need to see in person. Plus my wife is not a fan of the entry'exit of the S and wants to try the X herself before committing.

All this said, I also can see how someone willing to commit today would be miffed if others that just happened to reserve (but not commit) earlier get pushed ahead of them. Really, all I wish is that Tesla had set a few vehicles aside and had a test drive event tour like they did when the Ds came out. I imagine they may do that, but 6 months after 'launch' doesn't quite cut it for me.[/COLOR]

I've looked at every photo and watched every video I could find. I saw but didn't touch a few X's being prepped for delivery at the local store/service center. A service tech opened the doors for me so I could look inside - mostly because I was trying to figure out interior color options. That gave me additional confidence to go ahead and place the order.

Re someone willing to commit, I think you'd avoid the issue if you didn't give everyone the ability to order at practically the same time, before putting sample and demo cars in the showrooms. I would prefer they give everyone access to the design studio but only send the "you can now place your order" button later. That's what they did with the S - I had access to the design studio as soon as I made the deposit, and several months later I was invited to place the order, with a few weeks' window to do so or choose to defer. I had saved the configuration I ultimately ordered - a near fully loaded non-P 85 - and imagine that most people had saved theirs, so Tesla prioritized the invites to order based on date of deposit and configuration saved. Mine was a near fully loaded non-P 85, so was batched earlier than I expected.