Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it still? How do I check it?
View the page source once logged into "My Tesla" (before you get into the design studio) and look for "p class="vin_sn"" the number after that is your sequence number. I've heard it is blank for the most recent reservations but may be hidden there on yours. Others have said that they were able to get their sequence number by asking Tesla.

I placed a reservation 1/10/16 and was invited to configure today.
My wife and I are totally surprised by the invitation to configure today. We placed our reservation on 1/05/16. This last batch of configure-invites must've been huge judging from those who reserved in September.

One change on the configurator from previous posts: the auxiliary, factory installed, accessory hitch now is a 2" rather than a 1.24". I am ordering a 5 seat, 70D. I am going to wait until I can drive one, and see how much space will be available with out the third row. I too am hoping for folding seats, but with very low expectations of it ever happening. I will be asking how much weight the hitch can hold as I hope to be able install a cargo rack, allowing me to migrate south in the winter(we bring a ton of stuff in our Odyssey minivan, second row removed, third row folded flat). No kids, I am not a car person (really? Odyssey minivan), but am sold on electric vehicles and Tesla is the only one with enough range to get me from Portland, OR to Palm Desert, CA and home again.
Ironically, I think a Model S may have more pure hauling capacity for ya if you fold down passenger seats, put a Thule-type roof rack, and install a tow hitch to it.

Ha. This will totally crack up some people here. So please indulge me :)

The lease on my wife's Leaf is expiring in mid March and today (don't ask me why) she decided to seriously look around for a replacement. She liked the Leaf ok but it's too small and she had terrible problems with the heater/AC (too cold in the winter, to hot in the summer), so no buying the lease and no replacing it with a 2016 model with bigger range. We had test driven a few of the other possible candidates over the last few months (Mercedes B e-drive, e-Golf, BMW i3, BMW 540e) and so she started clicking around and searching, looking at options, features, prices, reviews and by the time I came home this evening she's like "ok, so let's open that configurator website".

Long story short... seems like we may be ordering a Model X without her having driven one, even with the wind shield she's convinced she'll hate and even with all the ambivalent feedback that I have given her (and here, of course) over the last few weeks.
Her car, her call... I think she just didn't believe that any of the other cars would come even close. I have to agree.

Looks like it will be a blue six seater 90D with black leather, carbon fiber, light headliner, standard wheels, auto pilot, premium, smart air (required for 90), subzero and accessory hitch. Who would have thought... Not complaining, though. If she ends up hating it, I happen to know of an MCred Model S P85D that she loves... and blue is one of the other colors that I really like, so I'll make do...

(silly side remark - I pointed out to her that with the tax credit and the deposit this is, technically, a sub $100k car so her complaint that she just couldn't see herself driving a $100+k car wasn't valid... yeah, right, that argument didn't stand a chance... after all, she's an economist by training...)

Ha. This will totally crack up some people here. So please indulge me :)

The lease on my wife's Leaf is expiring in mid March and today (don't ask me why) she decided to seriously look around for a replacement. She liked the Leaf ok but it's too small and she had terrible problems with the heater/AC (too cold in the winter, to hot in the summer), so no buying the lease and no replacing it with a 2016 model with bigger range. We had test driven a few of the other possible candidates over the last few months (Mercedes B e-drive, e-Golf, BMW i3, BMW 540e) and so she started clicking around and searching, looking at options, features, prices, reviews and by the time I came home this evening she's like "ok, so let's open that configurator website".

Long story short... seems like we may be ordering a Model X without her having driven one, even with the wind shield she's convinced she'll hate and even with all the ambivalent feedback that I have given her (and here, of course) over the last few weeks.
Her car, her call... I think she just didn't believe that any of the other cars would come even close. I have to agree.

Looks like it will be a blue six seater 90D with black leather, carbon fiber, light headliner, standard wheels, auto pilot, premium, smart air (required for 90), subzero and accessory hitch. Who would have thought... Not complaining, though. If she ends up hating it, I happen to know of an MCred Model S P85D that she loves... and blue is one of the other colors that I really like, so I'll make do...

(silly side remark - I pointed out to her that with the tax credit and the deposit this is, technically, a sub $100k car so her complaint that she just couldn't see herself driving a $100+k car wasn't valid... yeah, right, that argument didn't stand a chance... after all, she's an economist by training...)
Smart lady!

Welcome to the beta program, Dirk!

:wink:

True, but I can't help feeling that the beta program this time around will be a lot smaller and faster. They've had 3.5 years to work out a lot of the kinks overall and a year on dual motor drivetrain. The primary new elements are doors, middle row seats and windshield. And they've got many more experienced people to address issues that may arise.

My S VIN is 60xx delivered in early March 2013 and they'd already addressed the cracking windshields, moved on to B or even C batteries, etc. My biggest issues were pano wind noise and rattles, and missing out on some later added features like parking sensors, folding mirrors and of course autopilot. I'm hopeful that by the time I get my P90D in a few months they'll have addressed all the Signature punch list items through manufacturing and/or design changes.

Everyone = Everyone in the United States. Our well-loved international brethren are still patiently waiting.

I've been wondering over the past days whether there could be something curious - that is to say, difficult - about homologation outside the USA. We were shown on this forum about 7-8 weeks back the "universal" homologation form cooked up at the United Nations. My understanding is that the US is not party to that document but might, for example, Canada be a signatory? Could there be some critical difference between its specifications and those in use in the USA that makes the current Model X not valid under its aegis?

Idle speculation, surely. But isn't that what this forum is for? :)

I've been wondering over the past days whether there could be something curious - that is to say, difficult - about homologation outside the USA. We were shown on this forum about 7-8 weeks back the "universal" homologation form cooked up at the United Nations. My understanding is that the US is not party to that document but might, for example, Canada be a signatory? Could there be some critical difference between its specifications and those in use in the USA that makes the current Model X not valid under its aegis?

Idle speculation, surely. But isn't that what this forum is for? :)
But didn't Canadian Signature reservation holders get invited already? So it's not just the US...

True, but I can't help feeling that the beta program this time around will be a lot smaller and faster.

I'm hopeful that by the time I get my P90D in a few months they'll have addressed all the Signature punch list items through manufacturing and/or design changes.

I think these statements are probably how all of us feel, regardless of our configuration and estimated delivery time. There's certainly a level of apprehension about those issues crossed up with all of the enthusiasm and anticipation (note that the latter two win, in my case).

But quite honestly, my comment was more of a dig at Dirk. He served that one up and was clearly asking for it. :smile:

Whoo hoo! Just got my invitation to configure. Reservation #26,840-ish. Ordered September 2. So, how long can I wait to build before I lose my place in line etc.. ? There's was nothing in the email about response time to the invitation.

Your reservation was your place in line to configure. Now production happens based on the configuration you choose and the order of configuration. For example, we know p90d with ludicrous and premium upgrade package will be first to production (closest to sig configuration and highest profitability to Tesla).

Peter+

Whoo hoo! Just got my invitation to configure. Reservation #26,840-ish. Ordered September 2. So, how long can I wait to build before I lose my place in line etc.. ? There's was nothing in the email about response time to the invitation.
we got conflicting info from all 3 sources ..... talking to the 'knowledgeable' employees at the service centers .... reading the boilerplate during deposit .... and calling the toll free # that came after deposit. One of the verbal answers to our inquiries was 'yes' to the question, "can we opt to hang in perpetuity while we figure out which stuff we want to include in our order?" So who knows. It's not in any writing AFAIK.

Days after configuring, we needed to make a change. We were told there's a $500 fee for making changes after order confirmation. We're not doing that. So we asked, "does that mean we need to cancel the order - go from reservation spot #16,900 to the back of the line?". We'd rather do that than take a $500 hit. Long story short - Tesla let us reset our configuration as though we'd never configured. We're not sure if they did that because we were extra nice while asking, or if we just got a nice person at Tesla, or if that's their rule. But at a minimum, for now, and in our situation, Tesla was very accommodating for us.

Your reservation was your place in line to configure. Now production happens based on the configuration you choose and the order of configuration. For example, we know p90d with ludicrous and premium upgrade package will be first to production (closest to sig configuration and highest profitability to Tesla).
There's actually a bit of conflicting information there. A couple of people who explicitly asked were told that you "don't lose your spot in line if you wait a few weeks from invitation to ordering". My interpretation was that within the production of, e.g., the P90Ds Tesla will produce them roughly in order of reservation, not necessarily in order of when you clicked the order button. Same for the 90Ds and then the 70Ds. But that's based on verbal information from a Tesla employee on the phone. So who knows.

There's actually a bit of conflicting information there. A couple of people who explicitly asked were told that you "don't lose your spot in line if you wait a few weeks from invitation to ordering". My interpretation was that within the production of, e.g., the P90Ds Tesla will produce them roughly in order of reservation, not necessarily in order of when you clicked the order button. Same for the 90Ds and then the 70Ds. But that's based on verbal information from a Tesla employee on the phone. So who knows.

And that is different than what inside sales told me - which is basically that reservation number dictates when you get access to configure and production sequencing is dictated by when you confirm. I think the fundamental problem here, as with MUCH of the information flow around the X, is that the people commenting (even the "official" ones) on how things work don't really know. Inside sales likely has little true visibility to how the actual scheduling process works. They have random thoughts and sentences they've overheard added to whatever actual talk tracks have been handed to them. The answers are fluid because the process is fluid because the company is learning certain things as it goes. The hazards of early adoption. This acts more like a Kickstarter campaign than a car company - and I say that making no judgement either way.

I am, however, anxiously awaiting my 90D. I have a vested interest in knowing the actual answers to these questions ;)

Sean

I would agree that that's an accurate assessment based on my own experiences with Inside Sales. I've gotten wildly divergent answers in close temporal proximity. There's either some freewheeling going on or poor internal communication.

I console myself by realizing that the X is finally, truly, actually being produced and delivered to customers. The wait is winding down...

My wife jokingly calls this "shopping for an answer you like". Some where in one of the Model X reservation / ordering / delivery threads a reservation holder reported calling the NA sales number three times with the same question until they got the answer they wanted... but of course they got three different answers and it's frankly impossible to tell which one (if any) was the right one.
As someone with a relatively early reservation number who ended up ordering fairly late I guess I will know what was the right answer when we take possession in May, I mean July, I mean October.