Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So much for the "no more than $5K above comparable Model S." That's right out the window.
A base Model S 90D with rear-facing jump seats (seating for 7) is $91,000.
A base Model X 90D with the 7-seater option is $99,500. That's an $8,500 difference.

Yes, I know the Air Suspension is included in that price on the X, but that's an option that cannot be unselected on the 90D, right? And even if you add that to the cost of the S, it's still a $6,000 bump to the X.

I don't have access to the design studio yet (P 4787) but it seems to me that there is actually an $8,500 difference between a base model S 90D with seating for 7 and a base Model X with seating for 7. Plus $4,500 for an air filter that they touted so much during the reveal. Seriously?

I'm actually glad that the Sigs are not paying a Sig premium this time around (more like a Sig discount). I think that's only fair for Tesla holding their $40K for 3.5 years that the Signatures are getting fully loaded 6-seaters or 7-seaters for less than a comparable production configuration. But the "no more than $5K premium over a comparable model S" is simply untrue for the base model 90D with 7 seats.

Is anyone else feeling a little let down right now?

The rear seats have AC/heating, they're ventilated / air cooled seats on top of that, and they're also not child seats. That's far from comparable.

Musk stayed true to his word on pricing, in my opinion.

Does anyone know if the second row seats can move back/forward independently individually (i.e. mid-seat in back position and two side seats more forward position) in the 5 seats config.? Deciding if it's worth to pay 6 seats vs 5 seats.

I wonder if the ventilated seats are just the bottom seat cushion, or the entire seatback as well? Cars with cooled/ventilated seats have either just the seat bottom or also a small section of lower back included. I don't know of any car that has the full seat cooled/ventilated. That would add some value if it was the entire seatback too.

The rear seats have AC/heating, they're ventilated / air cooled seats on top of that, and they're also not child seats. That's far from comparable.

Musk stayed true to his word on pricing, in my opinion.
Only the front 2 seats are ventilated with the premium package. I agree overall they held true to the $5k more than Model S. Having certain features required versus optional on Model X doesn't matter. The point is you are never paying more than $5k than you would for a Model S with the same features, and in cases where it's slightly more you are getting more.

Those Premium options grouped together is extremely odd. Clean air, party lighting, and automatic door opening when you walk up to it just seem like entirely different interest groups. The first is a group of people that want to live much, much longer and be much, much happier while doing it, and I actually wouldn't understand not ordering clean air. The second group of people is a bunch of boozed drugged out party people who want dazzle and bling, plus super rich people who just like nice stuff, plus well off people who want the added safety of the moving headlight. I get getting it, but I just don't see it as the same group of people who want clean air. It seems spendy to me. The clean air you'll make back in spades due to lower medical bills (unless you're a baby or small child, in which case, visiting a dirty farm is actually good for you so it's the opposite). The third group -- the people who want the door to open for them -- that's for clumsy people like me, who also have a bit of extra cash. It's one less thing to fumble with, and that's good. But once again -- entirely different group of people.

I'd be very tempted to skip out on the fancy lighting and really have to figure out if I wanted the clumsy saver. But no question I'd get the air filter. But alas, there's no choice!

If I were ordering for a couple: I'd have to consider that any one of the three Premium options my spouse wanted would mean I have to get it, and I would get to enjoy all 3 as well, so that's an interesting angle which makes it a little more sensible. But still.

The guy: "Who cares about auto doors, LED lights, and medical filters?"

The wife: "I prefer good filters."

Fight over $4,500.

vs.

The guy: "Honey, do you want one of these things?"

The wife: "$1,200 for the air filter is good."

The guy: "OK!"

Slight discussion over automatic doors, getting old, is it really that important, etc.. No discussion of LED lights.

P.S., the clumsy saver auto presenting doors prevent door dings and parking lot fights, so could be in the "make back your money in value" category if they actually work right.

Do auto-presenting doors automatically open while getting out? That would be WAY better. They would prevent dings and stuff while getting out and you wouldn't have to turn around to examine the size of swing area for the door. That would make the end of a long day a LOT better, especially if you have errands. But if not --- what's the point?

This is a lot of info to consume after so long with nothing.... LOL!

I had a number in my head on what roughly my X will cost me, but Tesla has given us a friendly reminder that a base model price is exactly a "base". Option overload, and the dollars keep rising...

I'm indifferent bout the HEPA filter, but I want all the LED lights... but that $4500 bundle hurts for something I thought I was already getting (LED headlights and fog lights)

So if you do not select the premium package option, what kind of headlights and rear lights will you get? I thought the lights were uniform through the Model S and was expecting the same for the X...

I read it as, LED accent lights, such as the fog lights, and turning lights, are part of the premium package. I think the LED headlights are standard....

For California, the "Estimated gas savings over 5 years" is $9,000. Destination & Doc Fee + $1,200.

My initial config cash price is $144,250 + $1,200 destination + doc = $145,450. $125,250 "After incentives & gas savings".

36 Month Lease is $1,821/mo after gas savings;
lease payments:
$1,950/mo $10K miles/year
$1,988/mo $12K miles/year
$2,026/mo $15K miles/year, with $5,221 down payment after $2,500 CA EV incentive subtracted from $7,721 due at signing. Note that's conveniently only $221 more than the $5K reservation.

They continue the "happiness guarantee":

https://my.teslamotors.com/support/happiness-guarantee

Paint:

Solid Black, Solid White: no charge
Titanium Metallic, Midnight Silver Metallic, Obsidian Black Metallic, Deep Blue Metallic, Silver Metallic: $1,000
Pearl White Multi-Coat, Red Multi-Coat: $1,500

View attachment 101911

Wheels:

20" Silver: no charge
20" Silver Helix: $2,500
22" Silver Turbine: $4,500
22" Carbon Turbine: $4,500

View attachment 101912

Interior:

Seats:
Black or Tan Leather, Ultra White non-leather (includes stain resistant coating): $2,500

Decor:
Matte Obeche Wood: no charge
Glossy Obeche Wood, Dark Ash Wood, Figured Ash Wood: $750
Carbon Fiber: $1,000

Headliner:
Light or Black: included
Alcantara is part of the $4,500 "Premium Upgrades Package"

View attachment 101913

My configuration right now (firm order on Nov. 30):

View attachment 101906

Other misc. screens you'll see:

View attachment 101907
View attachment 101909
View attachment 101908

Russ,

Congratulations.

Does your "paperwork" inform you as to what capacity your on-board is? The only reference to charging that I saw was Supercharger enabled. What about AC charging?

Thanks.

Larry

I thought this too, originally but apparently that is part of the 5k. As the base 70D between the two cars is 75k and 80k respectively which doesn't include the pano roof on the S.
No, my point is that an S without Pano is not comparably equipped to a base X. The base X includes a Pano-like feature, thus you must add it to the S you're pricing out just as you would dual motor and rear seats.

Does anyone know if the second row seats can move back/forward independently individually (i.e. mid-seat in back position and two side seats more forward position) in the 5 seats config.? Deciding if it's worth to pay 6 seats vs 5 seats.

post number 8 in the following thread provides a photo that shows the center 2nd row seat moving forward independently from the other 2nd row seats:
Can you use the 2nd row seats if the 3rd row is folded down?

The center seat is in front of the passenger | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I configured what I think we'd get. I pressed order. It lets me know I am submitting a committed order, but have a week to change the specifics of the config. then it locks. I didn't go that far yet, since we're not quite ready. Need to really think about the color/interior options. All the tech options, we're ready.

For those Production folks that did go ahead and fully submit, I realize it will commit you to buying/leasing the car, but do you have to actually submit a payment of some sort? We're not getting Performance, just a regular 90D, so it may not be ready for us til April (or beyond), but do we have to have our financing/leasing app/cash ready now?

Russ,

Congratulations.

Does your "paperwork" inform you as to what capacity your on-board is? The only reference to charging that I saw was Supercharger enabled. What about AC charging?

Thanks.

Larry

I called the number in the email and asked the same question. It's 48 amps included, and then $1,000 for 72 amps as an "off the menu" option. Don't know why they don't just include it on the config page.

I configured what I think we'd get. I pressed order. It lets me know I am submitting a committed order, but have a week to change the specifics of the config. then it locks. I didn't go that far yet, since we're not quite ready. Need to really think about the color/interior options. All the tech options, we're ready.

For those Production folks that did go ahead and fully submit, I realize it will commit you to buying/leasing the car, but do you have to actually submit a payment of some sort? We're not getting Performance, just a regular 90D, so it may not be ready for us til April (or beyond), but do we have to have our financing/leasing app/cash ready now?

My X reservation is still a ways to go, but on my relatively early S (configured January 2013), there was no additional cash or financing needed at time of configuration. However the previously refundable deposit became non-refundable. Probably the same with the X.