Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the moment I will keep the silver/black contrast, but I will look into powder coating them black at some point. I think the double black looks awesome. I REALLY wanted the blue, but my wife nixed that. She says that color looks fine for a sports car but not an SUV. Says its dumb. My retort was "it IS a sports car that looks like a SUV" lol. I had an athens blue Infiniti G37 convertible that I absolutely loved for 5 years and then I had to trade it in for a family SUV right before the twins came. Now she's taking over that vehicle while I get the X. Much to her continued dismay. So because of that, I relented on the deep blue metallic (it's totally more my style and personality) and going with the obsidian black metallic to keep her happy. That was the only color she liked when we streamed the X reveal back in September.

Ah, that's a shame. I think the blue is my favorite as well. But important to make compromises. Otherwise, the other person has to make all of them!

I do think the black looks stunning as well. Imagine you'll be very happy with it. And the black with black wheels is hard to compete with. Maybe once she steps on the pedal a few times she'll understand it's an XL sports car. :D

10,176 invited.

Does anyone how the max time I can wait to configure?

Not sure. Others out here with access are waiting to configure until they see one (smarter than me!), which won't be until Q1. I was given access on 11/30, didn't place my order until last night, and heard nothing from Tesla pushing me along. That's what I "know".

I'd imagine that it will be quite some time before they come asking whether you want your deposit or a car.

Sean

You can delay a production X configuration indefinitely. When you decide to configure you jump in at the time you configure and do not go 'to the back of the line'. Best to always confirm this with [email protected]
Production order is determined by
a) random Tesla decisions to maximize revenue (i.e., if you want your car soon, you have to order a P90D)
b) date you CONFIRM the order (so after you configure you have the 7 day window to change your mind, then it auto-confirms, or you can manually confirm earlier)
c) batching during production (Tesla makes similar cars together, so depending on the options that you have chosen your car may move back or forward relative to other cars confirmed within a few weeks of yours - in the case of my Model S this meant that people who confirmed a week after me go their car two weeks before me)

All your reservation number does is define a window when you are allowed to start to configure. By waiting to actually be able to test drive the car you are giving up on the earlier delivery opportunity (assuming you wanted a P90D) that the earlier reservation would have given you. I reserved a Model X in Oct 2013. By now people who reserved 9 months after me have already ordered and confirmed and will get their car before me.

a) random Tesla decisions to maximize revenue (i.e., if you want your car soon, you have to order a P90D)
b) date you CONFIRM the order (so after you configure you have the 7 day window to change your mind, then it auto-confirms, or you can manually confirm earlier)
c) batching during production (Tesla makes similar cars together, so depending on the options that you have chosen your car may move back or forward relative to other cars confirmed within a few weeks of yours - in the case of my Model S this meant that people who confirmed a week after me go their car two weeks before me)

All your reservation number does is define a window when you are allowed to start to configure. By waiting to actually be able to test drive the car you are giving up on the earlier delivery opportunity (assuming you wanted a P90D) that the earlier reservation would have given you. I reserved a Model X in Oct 2013. By now people who reserved 9 months after me have already ordered and confirmed and will get their car before me.

Two clarifications:
a) is also about maximizing profits as well as revenue for cash flow - important when Tesla is production constrained.

b) I'm still waiting for access (12,8XX) but my understanding is that you can configure all you want for as long as you want, the 7-day window prior to automatic confirm starts when you click the "Order" button for your desired configuration.

Two clarifications:
a) is also about maximizing profits as well as revenue for cash flow - important when Tesla is production constrained.

b) I'm still waiting for access (12,8XX) but my understanding is that you can configure all you want for as long as you want, the 7-day window prior to automatic confirm starts when you click the "Order" button for your desired configuration.

You are 100% correct on both counts. Thanks for the clarifications

This has most likely been discussed, but how exactly does deferment work? So, if we confirmed and next year we get an update that Tesla estimates our delivery to occur around May, but we wanted to move the date back to October, how would someone go about doing this?

My apologies if this has been covered, a lot, but I haven't found an answer to this with a cursory search.

c) batching during production (Tesla makes similar cars together, so depending on the options that you have chosen your car may move back or forward relative to other cars confirmed within a few weeks of yours - in the case of my Model S this meant that pople who confirmed a week after me go their car two weeks before me).

I would guess there is a:
d) batching deliveries by geographic region
as well.