Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Productive Saturday - with pics!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Afternoon all,
So after an overly busy week since getting my white/white M3P on Tuesday today I finally got time to fit some of the trickier (ish) accessories.

I fitted the Taptes USB hub and Wireless phone charger pad the day I got her, they were super simple and work great. The taptes wireless charging pad also seems to have a USB c at the side in case someone needs to plug in which is discreet and useful.

So today's to do list was

Screen protector
Frunk hooks (eBay as posted earlier in the week on another post)
Centre console wrap in brushed black
Door open stickers
Boot struts
and get DashCam working (this was just a case of unplugging my SSD and plugging it straight back in again and all is fine)

Screen protectors - cleaned the screen, got the frame ready took the protector out and doh, it's got a crack at the edge, so that's now awaiting a replacement from abstract ocean. Quality of instructions is excellent they provide everything you need so this must have just been a breakage at the factory that wasn't noticed

Centre console wrap - I was a bit nervous of this one but it went well and I think looks much better now. I actually really like the piano black ....when it's clean....but it attracts dust, fingerprints and scratches so prefer the look now. Took about 20 mins and main thing is to keep the vinyl cool. I've got one little tiny bubble but it's not very noticeable.

Door open stickers - these were cheap eBay ones and actually I think they're better than the abstract ocean ones which are really thick and 'high' ( available if anyone wants them for a donation to charity? Rather someone get some use than me just have them lying around when I won't use them)

Boot struts are to do later on once I can get the wife to hold the boot open, they're just £16 ones from amazon months ago and some of the reviews vary so we'll see how they go.

Have also cleaned off the sticky residue from the drivers side of the centre console that was left over from shipment and have the passenger side to do later on.

Roll on me getting the software update for 2020.16 or 20 so I can use the sentry cam viewer on the screen :)

Any questions on any of this feel free to ask away. More pics of the car soon!

Sticky plates hopefully on their way too!

Attachments

• IMG_2558.JPG
    IMG_2558.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3565.JPG
    IMG_3565.JPG
    387.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4002.JPG
    IMG_4002.JPG
    352.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5109.JPG
    IMG_5109.JPG
    438.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5845.JPG
    IMG_5845.JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6886.JPG
    IMG_6886.JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8697.JPG
    IMG_8697.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9744.JPG
    IMG_9744.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9745.JPG
    IMG_9745.JPG
    425.4 KB · Views: 80
Great work. I’ve been so lazy with this stuff that I’ve ended up doing one thing at a time.

My AO screen protector came with a big crack too, was massively disappointing as I’d already spent the time fastidiously cleaning the screen, putting the template on, etc. AO were great though, even after the first replacement they sent out got stuck at their Post Office.

I must admit I’m fond of the AO door open stickers. I don’t feel that they are too thick personally. They are rather tricky to align perfectly so that the little light bar shines through, but it’s a fit and forget job. I only wish they glowed in the dark really.

Looks like you’ve done well there with all the bits you’ve fitted, great job.

Interested to hear how you managed to get the sticky residue off in the end...

The centre console seemed weird to me as it seems a completely different finish to the rest of the interior. Tastes will vary I suppose - for me it was the first thing I was intent on changing. I may have put up with it, if it didn't collect fingerprints and scratches so easily, but the combination of finding something I preferred the look of whilst also avoiding fingerprints/smudges made me wrap it. Similarly, the door handles get smudgy fingerprints on them so I wrapped those as well (you see a little chrome around the edges but that frames the wraps nicely.)

I'd found the centre console wrapping a bit daunting, given the shape of the various parts. It just took a bit of patience. Probably the trickiest part was the little strip that goes under the dash, purely because it's awkward to work in that small space. I have a very small bump under mine due to some dust or something under mine but it's carbon fibre wrap so you can only notice it if you're feeling the material.

Door open stickers - I didn't bother with the Abstract Ocean ones as I wasn't keen on the look of them. I might get some like yours, as I kind of prefer the text rather than the icons.

I'd be interested in knowing how the strut upgrades go as it's something I'm thinking about but I am wondering how much more effort is involved in closing the boot (might also upgrade the frunk.)

Tempted to get the Taptes USB hub since I have an SSD rattling around in that compartment. Do you know if you can charge two phones at the same time as well? Just not sure how much power it can provide. Not that I will often have a need to do this - just nice to have the option to.

Recent software updates seem to have broken sentry mode, which is a little annoying. Dashcam viewer is better than I had expected - so much more convenient than having to eject the disk, plug it into a PC and then go through all the clips from different angles.

Regarding the screen protector:

Boot struts just fitted, two minute job literally.
They’re good. Possibly a bit strong on the gas strut but as it opens maybe a bit too forcefully and bounces a bit at the top but maybe that will ease off a bit.

does exactly what I wanted and will look into frunk options too.

no major effort to shut tbh

Great to see the photos and looks like a very productive day. I never tire of seeing other folks’ mods.

I’ve done the front struts and find the same, that it rather pings the bonnet up. As you say, does the job. I have the rear ones to do but not sure I will. I’m actually pondering the powered kit for that.

I have an Abstract Ocean order on its way with brighter LED internal lights and the Tesla characters for the boot lid. That seems to be taking some time to arrive.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
Great to see the photos and looks like a very productive day. I never tire of seeing other folks’ mods.

I’ve done the front struts and find the same, that it rather pings the bonnet up. As you say, does the job. I have the rear ones to do but not sure I will. I’m actually pondering the powered kit for that.

I have an Abstract Ocean order on its way with brighter LED internal lights and the Tesla characters for the boot lid. That seems to be taking some time to arrive.

Where did you get the front struts from?

I'm tempted for this if I can find some gas powered ones ideally like the stock ones just with a bit of extra push but even abstract ocean are listing theirs as unavailable.

Where are you putting the brighter internal lights?

Not been in mine in the dark yet so haven't checked the lights out!!

I'd definitely recommend the brighter LED lights from Abstract Ocean. It's a noticeable improvement over the factory ones. You have two lights in the boot and the factory ones are rather dim throughout. I was tempted to put coloured LEDs everywhere but bright white offers the best visibility so I have that everywhere except in the footwells (where I went for blue.)

Some things to note:

Get the spudger tool. It makes most of this straightforward and can probably come in useful for other things too.

The boot lights are held in by a plastic clip that needs quite a lot of force to remove and is equally difficult to re-fit afterwards. I managed it eventually but you can just leave it loose if you prefer. You'll probably also have some plastic trim that isn't shown in the "how to" video, so see how that is attached and how everything is fitted first, to ensure it all goes back into place properly afterward.

The glove box is the trickiest one to pop out. I had to use a screwdriver and dig at it from the most accessible short end. You might decide it's not worth it in the end!

All of the other lights are relatively easy/quick to swap out. Detaching/re-attaching the puddle lights seems to cause the car to restart some of the electronics which is a bit unnerving.

Some of the cables are a little bit on the short side. I took the risk and didn't bother ordering any extensions and just managed to fiddle the connectors into place.

Pictures of my upgraded lights:
The M3 Photo Thread

Reactions: Durzel
Hmm went out and tried the boot tonight from the app so completely Hands free, didn’t open!
Unlatched but didn’t spring up enough. Will try a few times tomorrow but not looking good. These were springs from amazon pre Christmas and they’ve had mixed reviews I see that’s still the same so may go abstract ocean as I assume there’s will be better quality.

Where did you get the front struts from?

I got my replacement frunk struts from here and would recommend;
US $16.9 |LUCKEASY For Tesla Model 3 2017 2019 Car Front cover/Tail box Automatic Hydraulic Support Rods 2pcs/set|Strut Bars| - AliExpress

Was a but dubious about what the quality would be like but took a punt and can't fault them. Also arrived in about a week with DHL tracking.

Top tip - I found that replacing only one of the two struts just about gives enough 'oomph' to lift the frunk, and doesn't ping up too fast. I don't know if that would work with other brands as well.

I got my replacement frunk struts from here and would recommend;
US $16.9 |LUCKEASY For Tesla Model 3 2017 2019 Car Front cover/Tail box Automatic Hydraulic Support Rods 2pcs/set|Strut Bars| - AliExpress

Was a but dubious about what the quality would be like but took a punt and can't fault them. Also arrived in about a week with DHL tracking.

Top tip - I found that replacing only one of the two struts just about gives enough 'oomph' to lift the frunk, and doesn't ping up too fast. I don't know if that would work with other brands as well.
Also have these and can recommend.

I'd definitely recommend the brighter LED lights from Abstract Ocean. It's a noticeable improvement over the factory ones. You have two lights in the boot and the factory ones are rather dim throughout. I was tempted to put coloured LEDs everywhere but bright white offers the best visibility so I have that everywhere except in the footwells (where I went for blue.)

Some things to note:

Get the spudger tool. It makes most of this straightforward and can probably come in useful for other things too.

The boot lights are held in by a plastic clip that needs quite a lot of force to remove and is equally difficult to re-fit afterwards. I managed it eventually but you can just leave it loose if you prefer. You'll probably also have some plastic trim that isn't shown in the "how to" video, so see how that is attached and how everything is fitted first, to ensure it all goes back into place properly afterward.

The glove box is the trickiest one to pop out. I had to use a screwdriver and dig at it from the most accessible short end. You might decide it's not worth it in the end!

All of the other lights are relatively easy/quick to swap out. Detaching/re-attaching the puddle lights seems to cause the car to restart some of the electronics which is a bit unnerving.

Some of the cables are a little bit on the short side. I took the risk and didn't bother ordering any extensions and just managed to fiddle the connectors into place.

The M3 Photo Thread
To add to this - +1 on getting the Spudger they sell, it makes it so much easier knowing that you aren’t going to damage the trim by levering the lights out.

You don’t need to refit the plastic clip/surround on the boot lights, the trim holds the lights in perfectly fine. You’ll struggle to get these back on without pulling the trim down. It’s an unnecessary extra step.

The glovebox light is painful to do, far beyond its worth. It took me at least an hour to get the bulb out, and I wrecked the plastic on the original bulb in the process.

Most importantly - when fitting the door puddle lights roll the windows down completely. As said above the car doesn’t like these bulbs being disconnected and will roll the glass up above the point that it drops down when you open the door, so you risk damaging the chrome trim if you close the door.

I’d suggest buying at least one of their extension cable things. I bought two but only needed one, one of the doors didn’t have much slack in the cable.

I have an Abstract Ocean order on its way.... Tesla characters for the boot lid. That seems to be taking some time to arrive.
Me too, I've ordered polar white on silver letters to replace the Tesla logo at the back.

....somebody had asked me in a carpark what the car is & a neighbour thought Dual Motor meant hybrid! I also had a van come alongside on the motorway after I joined v fast & then slowed to 70, driver put his thumbs up & signalled "what is it?".

After the ugly Tesla.com plate holders are removed & without a manufacturer name anywhere many people don't know what we are driving but the name Tesla will give a clue.

white_silver_edge_wide__61445.1571766643.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Gatsojon
Door open stickers - these were cheap eBay ones and actually I think they're better than the abstract ocean ones which are really thick and 'high' ( available if anyone wants them for a donation to charity? Rather someone get some use than me just have them lying around when I won't use them)

I would happily donate to charity if these are still available. I’m pretty bored of having to explains to passengers how to open the doors!

Nick

Some things to note:

The M3 Photo Thread
Great tips, thank you.
I’ve not got the glovebox one anyway as I’ve hardly got anything in there given there is so much storage in more easily accessible places.
I went purple for the foot well, just for a bit of bling!