TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Products that are safe for cleaning headliner

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SeminoleFSU, Aug 4, 2015.

1. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

Hello folks,
    Quick question. Does anyone have a recommendation on a product that I can use to clean the non-alacantra (standard) headliner with? I put a large coffee on the roof today, which slipped off the roof and fell into the car (OMG) and splashed everywhere, including on the headliner... :scared::crying::redface:

Need something that will take coffee stains out?

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Sorry that I do not have a solution, but I'm definitely interested in what you find out!

3. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

I prob should've searched first.. there's already another thread... Black fingerprints on headliner-How to clean it off?

MODS feel free to merge and kill mine off

4. fructose

fructose Member

OPTIONS / SUGGESTIONS:

1) Distilled water in a spray bottle is one option - spray and dab (avoid scrubbing) with an absorbent white cloth.

2) A small handheld steamer - hot water vapor + white or light colored absorbent cloth and then dab the area once it is steamed well. Heated water vapor and a clean cloth is the best natural degreaser I've used and that leaves nothing behind once the water dries. I bought this steamer for general surface cleaning inside and outside of my 85D: Amazon.com - Vapamore MR-75 Amico Hand Held Steam Cleaner With Lifetime Warranty - Clothes Steam Generators

3) If the coffee stains are still visible after #2, a diluted Oxyclean solution (distilled water + a little Oxyclean). This should chemically bleach the brown coffee stain and then you can dab away with a clean white cloth followed by round of distilled water or steam to remove as much of the Oxyclean solution as possible.

Good luck and keep us updated.

5. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

My service center recommended "Spray 9" which I found at my local auto store.

Have used it on a couple of spots with a white cloth to dab, and works well.

6. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Local Vendor - Southeast

A little 303 Fabric Cleaner on a towel. Pat and use as little product as you can. A water-based adhesive is used for headliners and moisture/water can break it down resulting in premature failure. Less is better with headliners.

7. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback!

8. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Oxyclean, or simply the active ingredient from Oxyclean - sodium percarbonate - does an amazing job.

9. robby

robby Member

Which solution did you wind up going with, and did it work well?