Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Professional Sales, I think not...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay so let me start this post like this.
Unfortunately the Model S is a bit of a status symbol, and is incredibly over priced. Also I don't need my ego stroking, as I shoot from the hip and take any sales pitch as BS, if I want the product don't play games, either sell it to me or don't, as I don't need the free coffee or the sales pitch.
Some 2 months ago I decided to buy a Tesla, I honestly didn't know which model I wanted so I decided to visit the Bluewater shop and spoke to the shop assistants. I test drove the car and was impressed.
I then was passed along to the head of pushy tatics, oh sorry, sales. I won't name names as in this day and age people get very hurt by the truth.
After some 20 minutes of BS trying to get out of me how much I was willing to part with etc, I kind of went for the cheap option and was given a price. The car in question was a Model S 60 with no extras and an inventory car with OA. I went away and thought about it, after some time trolling online I returned and said I'd like a 60D, the same sales person then told me I don't want a 60D as there is no benefit, now here is where I started to notice the pushy BS, I said 'Why Don't I want a 60D?' his reply, 'Because you don't', 'Why?' I asked, 'Because you don't' and so on and so on..So I walked away.
After about 2 weeks I decided to return to another branch, this time Gatwick and met with another sales person. I explained that my credit was poor as I haven't had any loans or Credit Cards for many many years.
I explained also that I would like to buy one cash, but laying out a huge sum like that would take most of my life savings, I'm a salesperson nightmare, but an honest one (I'm guessing honesty and shop sales assitants don't go hand in hand) I must of come across in my Asda Jeans and TShirt, a bit of a tyre kicker. To cut a long story short he said 'forget getting a Tesla'...rrrrright I thought (in the words of Dr. Evil).
So third time lucky I was now more determind to buy one, so I returned now to the Heathrow branch. Met with Mr Kiss Your Ego Sir, and the usual types found at higher end car showrooms. He offered another test drive and out we went in a Model S 90D, so then I explained a friend of mine was willing to put the car through his company and I would be the registered owner, or I'm still toying with the idea of buying outright. He said either way is good.
So I then decided to really go for it and buy a 90D and put down the £1000 deposit needed by Tesla. I explained I had to wait for my friend to sort the paper work out and I'd keep in touch. Then the *sugar* really hit the fan when my so called friend had a change of heart, and I bottled it with buying cash as now I'd gone from a £45 grand inventory 60 to a £85 grand 90D!.
So I explained all this to the salesman and he seemed sympathetic (yeah right). After many many phones calls to the store of which I'd say 20% was actually returned with a curtosy call, I was just going get my deposit back and I wasn't bothered if it ruined my credit score.
He said I don't think you'll have to do that I'll just talk to my manager. Whenever a car salesman says 'manager' it instantly reminds me of Jerry Lundegaard from Fargo and the BS tatics regarding that Trucoat!
Now 2 days went past and nothing from Jerry Lundgaard, so I decided to just fill the Finance out and get my money back as I was sure I'd fail the agreement and that's apparently the only way of getting your hard cash back.
When I attempted this the web page displayed a white page with words to the affect of ' car not available' etc, so I sent this to Jerry Lundegaard and awaited a response, I did receive one but nothing mentioned about the Web Site Page, but infact an emaill stating that the deposit problem will now have to go to a higher senior manager for assement and that there is a problem with returning the depsoit as I mentioned this was to be a cash purchase?!!?.
So I called again and yet again no response from the salesperson. But Now I decided I was going to actually blow everything and buy a 90D, so I decided to write an email in my usual non professional non bullshit non ego stroking manner and tell Mr Lundgaard to shove his Bullshit about the deposit and get my car ready asap.

Great car (well I hope so) but by christ unless your a person who is ready to sign the deal there and then, and not a indesisive twat like me who really is taking a risk to own this car, then good luck.

Sorry you had a bad experience but from your post it seems you may be as much at fault as the sales. Indecisiveness can be a real pain to a salesman." Don't waste my time, I have real buyers waiting. " Don't mean to be rude but it appears you really did want to be stroked. Maybe i'm wrong and the articulation is off. Take a good,long, hard look at the Tesla and I think you will be satisfied. My mentality has always been to "jump in with both feet" when ready
Personally I was surprised at how little Tesla attempted to sell the car. They love to sell the road test and leave it at that. Works more times than not.

Sorry you had a bad experience but from your post it seems you may be as much at fault as the sales. Indecisiveness can be a real pain to a salesman." Don't waste my time, I have real buyers waiting. " Don't mean to be rude but it appears you really did want to be stroked. Maybe i'm wrong and the articulation is off. Take a good,long, hard look at the Tesla and I think you will be satisfied. My mentality has always been to "jump in with both feet" when ready
Personally I was surprised at how little Tesla attempted to sell the car. They love to sell the road test and leave it at that. Works more times than not.
Thanks for your opinion chopr, I agree, I am also to blame for being a right royal pain in the arse, but does my example mean they had to actually work hard for a sale instead of being a push over? As for being stroked, no sorry youre wrong, I just wanted the curtosy of return phone calls and not be dicked around when told my deposit was safe...and as for the negative comments, chill FanBoys my complaint was at Tesla Sales UK not you, remember my name so you don't have to read my crap in the future, but thanks for you helpful feedback, nice to see the spirit of man still shines a light. :rolleyes:
PS What I do with money is nothing to do with anyone...Ive got through life this far doing it my way. Treat everyday like its going to be your last, because one day you'll be right! Take care guys....

Enjoy your purchase.

The Tesla Model S is worth what you paid. Accelerates with more kick than a Porsche. Quieter than a Mercedes in city traffic. More technology than anything else. What's not to love?!

My story is so much more boring than yours. I put down my deposit, waited patiently for delivery and drove the he'll out of it when it arrived.

Having gone through the Tesla UK sales experience myself a couple of times, I am struggling with this. It reads like a visit to Dodgy Dave's Used Car Emporium on the last weekend of bonus month. I cannot relate to any of this nonsense. The only thing I can personally agree with is that getting a deposit back could be easier.

Also - glad your friend saw sense and didn't get themselves screwed over by your "OMG no one ever thought of this before" attempt at a tax-dodge.

Not sure how things are set up in the UK, but here in the states the sales people are simply one option. Many of us just order our cars off the internet and bypass the sales people.

The Tesla's change so much with their constant upgrade policy, that often some of the reasons people hesitated to order are sorted out even before delivery, and again with their consistant over the air upgrades to resolve issues and add in value.

These purchases are partly based on logic, and to an even great sense on faith.

Surveys of vehicle ownership have consistantly placed Tesla vehicles at the very top of customer satisfaction.

The "sales people" are not well schooled in time honored sales techniques, but more encouraged to assist the buyer in increasing the ownership experience.

People with hard edged needs often are put off by this system, however most find the total ownership experience to be pleasurable.

Part of is is the initial expectations. If the buyer focuses on the inevidible problems that crop up during the purchase and ownership, the experience can be poor. If the buyer instead focuses on the inherent pleasure of driving a non air polluting, well handling, powerful and bleading edge vehicle, then the experience can truly be life altering.

Please don't buy a Tesla

I live in Canada now, but am from London - and to be honest, you sound like a bit of a wide boy who's "At it"

The Tesla staff I have dealt with on both sides of the ocean have always behaved impeccably, and probably sussed you out within minutes of meeting you

Don't feel bad, just go to a dealership that's willing to indulge you

PS What I do with money is nothing to do with anyone...

You post on a forum about what you do with your money, including the fact that you are...

laying out a huge sum like that would take most of my life savings,

Then when people comment on that, you say what you do with your money has nothing to do with anyone? Of course it has nothing to do with anyone but here's a tip: If you want to keep the fact that you are taking most of your life sayings and buying a significantly depreciating asset, and you don't want people to tell you that's not a very smart move, then don't post those facts on a public forum. We're here to discuss things people post. When something as glaring as that is put out there, it would be negligent not to tell you what you are doing is not smart. Yes, we might be dead tomorrow but in playing the odds that's unlikely and many of us want to be comfortable financially, and to retire with a substantial nest egg. So we just can't overlook such a glaring error.

If you go to buy a Tesla thinking you are doing them a favor and they need to bow to you to make the sale, you probably aren't going to be happy.

Most people here believe in Elon and the car and consider it a privilege to buy one. The dealer experience is as such because there isn't extra markup to have a fancy dressed salesmen run your credit while you use the indoor putting green and sip cappuccino.
I live in MI, I can't even buy one in my state. I had to 'import' it from Chicago and bought it sight unseen, no test drive (save for 3.5 years ago). I smile every day thinking about that purchase and would do it again, despite it being a pain in the ass. p100d.

• Funny
Reactions: 2160p
OMG, this must be a Brit thing. My sales journey started in Q4 2015 with a CPO. I didn't get my Inventory Model S until end of Q3 of 2016. Easiest sales process in 18 years of car buying. Then again, part of the reason why is that I did my due diligence on making sure my credit was where there'd be few to any issues. But I did a series of test drives (even getting them to pull a P85+ loaner, since that was the spec of the CPO I wanted). No pressure, ever. When the time came, approval for the lease was done quickly, without having to talk to a 'Finance guy'. Car was shipped from Dania Beach to Palm Springs, CA after putting down deposit, then I was asked to pick a delivery day.

This experience is the main reason I'm now rather 'meh' on some of my favorite brands, including Mercedes, Porsche and Audi. The experience was just THAT impressive to me.

Reactions: Chopr147 and 2160p
If that's exactly how the 60d convo went then that sales person might be mentally ill.
But I'm guessing you're paraphrasing a bit.

Other than that I don't understand what your complaint is? What is it that tesla has done wrong here?
You wanted to buy a 60d then you should have bought that
Instead you relied on your friend to help you get a 90D, he backed out and now you're stuck with it... seems like that's a beef you and your friend should be having.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
You sound difficult. Also, if you think something is very overpriced, you believe it is not worth your money. Why would you even consider purchasing something that you don't consider worthy of your hard earned money?