Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Professional Trader Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think working out the numbers in excel is a good idea to see what the savings are. For BornToFly with 8 figure gains, it'll be very different than someone having a few hundred thousand in gains and wants to save $40-60k in deductions.

This is a rough excel sheet I made to see different scenarios. I'm going to play around with changes in management fees and then need to see what the 2nd year is like adding back the loan with interest.

I already have a business that pays me a W2 over the max of $142,400, so there's no self-employment social security in this example. I also already run health insurance, travel, meals, computers through the other dental office.

If someone wants this sheet to edit, let me know. Also, if there are categories I missed or screwed up on, let me know

Attachments

• CE30319E-5C6B-4D20-A52D-6F5A70010978.jpeg
    CE30319E-5C6B-4D20-A52D-6F5A70010978.jpeg
    613.1 KB · Views: 72
Corey mentioned the Corp needs to be engaged in "active" business. Holding money in the c corp to buy properties or art, like you mentioned, doesn't seem to work. I still need to find out what interest rate is reasonable to charge to the partnership.
I was thinking of charging the lowest margin rate that a brokerage like Fidelity charges, so that I could defend the number if questioned by the IRS. So far I'm using Anderson to set up the protective LLC and my family trust. I'm holding off on the C-corp until I get more answers on how I can have lots of cash sitting there. If anyone has ideas for "reasons" that a c-corp has to build a war chest for "business reasons," please let me know. I thought the buying art ideas was brilliant (who can argue with the "value" of art) until I was told passive income is a no-go.

I was thinking of charging the lowest margin rate that a brokerage like Fidelity charges, so that I could defend the number if questioned by the IRS. So far I'm using Anderson to set up the protective LLC and my family trust. I'm holding off on the C-corp until I get more answers on how I can have lots of cash sitting there. If anyone has ideas for "reasons" that a c-corp has to build a war chest for "business reasons," please let me know. I thought the buying art ideas was brilliant (who can argue with the "value" of art) until I was told passive income is a no-go.
So the interest rate for the loan is based on the Applicable Federal Rate (AFR) that the IRS puts you each month. It's based on the number of years the loan is. It looks like the "short-term loan" is 3 years or less and the current rate is 0.44%. The picture attached summarizes the rates.

I'm not sure how difficult it will be to continue to get a loan from the c-corp each year though. I don't know if you'd need to prove a need for constant loans

Attachments

• A5A3C278-7FD3-4F3C-9F1A-BA6A2561F858.jpeg
    A5A3C278-7FD3-4F3C-9F1A-BA6A2561F858.jpeg
    937.8 KB · Views: 51
I think working out the numbers in excel is a good idea to see what the savings are. For BornToFly with 8 figure gains, it'll be very different than someone having a few hundred thousand in gains and wants to save $40-60k in deductions.

This is a rough excel sheet I made to see different scenarios. I'm going to play around with changes in management fees and then need to see what the 2nd year is like adding back the loan with interest.

I already have a business that pays me a W2 over the max of $142,400, so there's no self-employment social security in this example. I also already run health insurance, travel, meals, computers through the other dental office.

If someone wants this sheet to edit, let me know. Also, if there are categories I missed or screwed up on, let me know
Thanks for posting your excel. Honestly I have never been self employed or owned any entities so I'm basically a rookie when it comes to these topics. I ended up signing up with Anderson at least to get the process started and continue to do my research to make sure I have some options.

A couple of quick questions right off the bat:

1. What does the "Added back owner perks" signify?
2. Is your excel trying to do a comparison of sole proprietor vs partnership vs LLC/C-Corp?
3. Should we not be adding a salary/dividend line item for the LLC and/or C-Corp?

Would you mind posting this spreadsheet online? I will add another tab and start adding some of the items that I have on my mind. Mine will include everything from 401k to business expenses.

Although I'm going through the process of setting up the entity structure I will not be moving my individual trading account to the LLC until I fully understand all my options and have a good grasp of all the different items. I need to get the living trust done anyway so this process gives me the opportunity to learn. I will also be consulting with local tax planning agencies and sit down with them to understand how a typical tax year could work with this entity structure.

Thanks for posting your excel. Honestly I have never been self employed or owned any entities so I'm basically a rookie when it comes to these topics. I ended up signing up with Anderson at least to get the process started and continue to do my research to make sure I have some options.

A couple of quick questions right off the bat:

1. What does the "Added back owner perks" signify?
2. Is your excel trying to do a comparison of sole proprietor vs partnership vs LLC/C-Corp?
3. Should we not be adding a salary/dividend line item for the LLC and/or C-Corp?

Would you mind posting this spreadsheet online? I will add another tab and start adding some of the items that I have on my mind. Mine will include everything from 401k to business expenses.

Although I'm going through the process of setting up the entity structure I will not be moving my individual trading account to the LLC until I fully understand all my options and have a good grasp of all the different items. I need to get the living trust done anyway so this process gives me the opportunity to learn. I will also be consulting with local tax planning agencies and sit down with them to understand how a typical tax year could work with this entity structure.

1. Added back owner perks are the cells in yellow. Essentially, these are business expenses, but these would have been normal expenses that I would have if were just trading in a regular brokerage account. Business meals, medical expenses, car payment, computer/office supplies would normally be paid with post-tax dollars. Here, they are used as business expenses to bring down your income. For example, if you had $100k in profit and $10k in business expenses, then now you are paying tax on $90k in income. Now if you were using your regular trading account with no business, then you pay taxes on your $100k income and then pay your car/computer/office/business meals/etc. So these get added back since they aren’t real expenses, but they allow tax deductions. Now actual business expenses are different, like the payment to Anderson and filing fees.

2. The first column that says short-term gains is essentially just if you were trading in a regular brokerage account and paid short-term capital gains. Now I’m comparing that to having an LLC partnership and c-corp and creating expenses for both of those businesses and seeing how much is saved in taxes

3. This is a good question and I want to see what is required. For the LLC, you’re paying the corporation for management of your trading, so that might be the only salary necessary. The rest flows through to the shareholders (owners) and then you pay taxes. You may have to show some dividend and/or W2 for the c-corp, but my goal is to keep that as low as possible that’s acceptable so the c-corp profits can grow until I want to take a dividend when I actually need that money

I think for anyone that doesn’t already have an existing business, a LLC and the c-corp makes sense to save money through business deductions. For people with very large accounts, the deductions might be very small in comparison to the overall gains, but most people should be able to get $20-60k in deductions pretty easily. Now those that want to have a 401k or sep IRA or other qualified retirement plan, they can set aside quite a bit. If you have a spouse, then you can be putting away $100k+ tax deferred. I actually canceled our office 401k plan this year after realizing that I want access to money earlier and have options to invest in things like tesla/crypto/real estate/businesses now and in the future. I’m 36 and wife is 33, so for us, it didn’t make sense to invest in the 401k esp with the options our office plan offered. I do plan to try to get more than the $250k in retained earnings in the c-corp, which essentially means you’re paying corporate taxes only and letting the rest of the money grow until it’s actually needed. I think Anderson advisors has ideas but they don’t want to tell you until you have an agreement in place. From talking to a few friends, they do put away more than the $250k like these large public companies do by taking out debt in the c-corp, having things in writing for investing in specific businesses or private companies, even if you never actually go through with it. I think the c-corp info is scarce online and it’s purposely like that. I feel like it’s the Tesla FUD that’s posted online and in media. The wealthy and people in the know don’t go around telling the truth or revealing all the secrets about how all this works

I’ll share the excel file, look out for a PM

Last edited:
Bump here. Talking with Corey again tomorrow to finalize a few things then we are likely moving forward with Andersen. Who else has started down this path? Has anyone introduced real estate owned by the corporation into the equation?

EDIT:

I also read this How To Decide If A C-Corp Is Right For Your Trading Business | Green Trader Tax and I am concerned about the 250k in retained earnings mentioned above several times. I might have a consult with this CPA just to get his take, but it doesnt look like being able to hold 250k+ without taking a dividend will be possible unless you diversify away from just trading.

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY
I don't talk to Anderson until next week, but I'm still trying to figure out if a C-corp would still be helpful for me. I currently own a share of my jet which is part of a fleet shared with others. In a couple years, I might leave this program and buy my own $6M jet. If the C-corp buys the jet and deducts the expense, that is saving $3M in taxes that year. Operating cost on the jet is $250-300k/year. I'm assuming that would be tax deductible by the C-corp. I'm assuming depreciation what be tax deductible as well. But on the expense side, I don't know what taxes, if any, a company has to pay the government for its employees (toward social security, medicare, etc.), that would be in addition to the 21% corporate tax amount (assuming the current administration doesn't increase corporate taxes as well).

Meet Kevin was going to buy a jet to cut down his taxes. Here is the podcast about them talking about how to avoid taxes and time stamped for the jet talk:

I can't stand the guy anymore but this podcast is actually decent.

• Love
Reactions: UltradoomY