Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Professional Trader Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have room on my 🏔️.

I think this is super helpful: Topic No. 429 Traders in Securities (Information for Form 1040 or 1040-SR Filers) | Internal Revenue Service

Calls out kinda specifics and I feel like I totally qualify, just need to avoid the end of year unrealized gains thing as that would be catastrophic.

I'll need an account that understands this as well as a lawyer most likely but this is super interesting and would allow me to retire from my tech job without issue. Thx @UltradoomY !!!
I'm also in WA, good to know there are others in the same boat. As we work through finding the right accountant/lawyer/firm to address this situation whom can also be trusted it's good to be able to share the insights and also the names so neither of us ends up making a mis-step.

Reactions: Discoducky
Just to clarify @adiggs -
I did get professional advice that the open and close of a position is indeed 2 trades, and even better - the contracts are each treated as individual trades.
Meaning if I open 20 BPS and close or roll them - that is 40 trades.
The held less than 31 days is not a rule but more of a sticking point - like "hey look, they didn't even hold them for a month"
However that is suggested for "most" of your activity - not all.
So selling weeklies, or 2 week contracts works and fits perfectly into this.
Still for comfort and to keep with mark to market - I am planning on not holding anything past 12/31 in this account to make things crystal clear.
My accountant was stumped when I asked about each contract counting as a trade - this insight is gold! Can I ask, where did you learn this detail?

Just to clarify @adiggs -
I did get professional advice that the open and close of a position is indeed 2 trades, and even better - the contracts are each treated as individual trades.
Meaning if I open 20 BPS and close or roll them - that is 40 trades.
The held less than 31 days is not a rule but more of a sticking point - like "hey look, they didn't even hold them for a month"
However that is suggested for "most" of your activity - not all.
So selling weeklies, or 2 week contracts works and fits perfectly into this.
Still for comfort and to keep with mark to market - I am planning on not holding anything past 12/31 in this account to make things crystal clear.
Ah wow, having each contract considered a trade definitely changes things a bit.

Just an update for those following along - I've scheduled time to talk with a consultant from Anderson Advisors on Monday morning. The woman who helped me schedule went through the consultant/lawyer's background which I found interesting.

He's a tax planning lawyer for the past 20 years, but also someone who uses the same strategies he will discuss with me for his own personal investments. He doesn't just talk the talk, but walks the walk.

This first meeting is free - so I'll take copious notes. If this group has any questions they'd like me to ask (that are general enough to be relevant for all/most/those in WA at a minimum) I'm happy to ask and report back.

Missed the edit window - this is from The "Poppe court case" where the IRS determined he was a Professional trader who made 60 trades a month - in the case notes are this - Count the buy and sell, or open and close, as two total trades.
This goes on to mention contracts in size count towards that - in that 10 contracts open / closed were 20 trades.

The Poppe case is from 2015 so before the updates to the tax structure that make it easier to be a professional trader - and Mr. Poppe was doing much less frequent trades and dollar amounts than many if not all who have chimed in here do and was upheld in court that he could continue to keep the designation going forward with his amount and frequency of trades.

To those that use Interactive Brokers, they have the ability to set up sub accounts under your main account, so it could be easy to segregate out trades in that separate subaccount. However, I haven't found a way yet for a sub account to use equity or equities in a main account as collateral in a sub account. Looks like you have to actually internally transfer funds to a sub account and the margin and such is calculated on a sub account basis. So no using the LEAPS or shares that you'd want to hold individually as cover for a short term trading.

To those that use Interactive Brokers, they have the ability to set up sub accounts under your main account, so it could be easy to segregate out trades in that separate subaccount. However, I haven't found a way yet for a sub account to use equity or equities in a main account as collateral in a sub account. Looks like you have to actually internally transfer funds to a sub account and the margin and such is calculated on a sub account basis. So no using the LEAPS or shares that you'd want to hold individually as cover for a short term trading.
Funny you say this - I asked a rep at IB this exact question and he laughed at me. I was assuming that if my sub-account went negative that they would come after my main account, thus the sub-account truly is collateralized by the main account, but doesn't get/isn't legally allowed to benefit from the main account with respect to margin risk.

……..snip…..If this group has any questions they'd like me to ask (that are general enough to be relevant for all/most/those in WA at a minimum) I'm happy to ask and report back.
Are you talking about the list of all the trades you have done in a given year and a breakdown of the short term and long term capital gains?
Yes, list of all trades and auto filling Schedule D and or Form 8949. I’m assuming they would all be short term capital gains, especially since for the mark-2-market designation it would be prudent to close out all positions by Dec 31st. I’ve always done my taxes by hand and Sch.D-F8949 was a pain for even a few stock trades. I can only imagine how much hassle this would be for weekly options trading. Maybe this is a nothing burger and all brokerages/tax software does this automatically.

Just an update for those following along - I've scheduled time to talk with a consultant from Anderson Advisors on Monday morning. The woman who helped me schedule went through the consultant/lawyer's background which I found interesting.

He's a tax planning lawyer for the past 20 years, but also someone who uses the same strategies he will discuss with me for his own personal investments. He doesn't just talk the talk, but walks the walk.

This first meeting is free - so I'll take copious notes. If this group has any questions they'd like me to ask (that are general enough to be relevant for all/most/those in WA at a minimum) I'm happy to ask and report back.

I think a lot of us would like to known how problematic it would be if we didn't carry about the "Professional Trader trades" in a separate account. What if we kept a detailed spreadsheet and identified each trade as "Personal" or "Short Term Trader" as they occurred. I don't see any way to be able to effectively trade without using my shares as collateral against which I sell covered calls.

Thanks!

Yes, list of all trades and auto filling Schedule D and or Form 8949. I’m assuming they would all be short term capital gains, especially since for the mark-2-market designation it would be prudent to close out all positions by Dec 31st. I’ve always done my taxes by hand and Sch.D-F8949 was a pain for even a few stock trades. I can only imagine how much hassle this would be for weekly options trading. Maybe this is a nothing burger and all brokerages/tax software does this automatically.

Just my experience with Merrill Edge and Turbo Tax, but you shouldn't need to list all your trades one by one. I had over 1,000 trades in 2020 so when I uploaded the statements from Merrill Edge to Turbo Tax it blew up Turbo's system and caused the web page to freeze and then disconnect. After several conversations with different reps from Turbo, it turns out I don't need to list the trades one by one and I can just aggregate them as shown below:

1630083348667.png

Maybe you can do this too? It should save you quite a bit of time lol.

By the way, what do you mean by doing taxes by hand? You actually have the tax form in paper/PDF and just fill out each box manually???

That seems weird. Would buying/selling 100 shares of TSLA count as 200 trades? (Why should the quantity of contracts be counted differently than the quantity of shares?)
I think it has more to do with them being individual contracts. Not sure really - just mentioning what it says, please dig into the case notes and let me know if you disagree. (not being cheeky, seriously)

Missed the edit window - this is from The "Poppe court case" where the IRS determined he was a Professional trader who made 60 trades a month - in the case notes are this - Count the buy and sell, or open and close, as two total trades.
This goes on to mention contracts in size count towards that - in that 10 contracts open / closed were 20 trades.

The Poppe case is from 2015 so before the updates to the tax structure that make it easier to be a professional trader - and Mr. Poppe was doing much less frequent trades and dollar amounts than many if not all who have chimed in here do and was upheld in court that he could continue to keep the designation going forward with his amount and frequency of trades.
This is really helpful - I might go back to the people I was talking to and see if this changes things.

The way I understand what you've got here - opening a 20 BPS position will count as 40 trades, and closing it will count as another 40 trades. There are 20 long and 20 short puts in each BPS, thus 80 total trades in and out. Yeah - easy to get 700 that way. I don't think I do that monthly but quarterly is probably easy mode.

Reactions: UltradoomY

Do you have a link to the Poppe case? I've found this. But I'm not finding more detailed case notes, such as the detail that in/out are two trades, nor the part about individual contracts each counting as a trade.

I emailed the other people I had found - they indicate that this remains undetermined by the IRS and are unable to provide a definitive answer on that. If I can point to specific case notes that seem to make this part clear, and then I can demonstrate enough trades using the in/out and # contracts criteria, then I'm in.

Without the # contracts component though I'm nowhere close (the standard from that particular case that was determined to be adequate was 720 trades, well spread out throughout the year, significant daily energy, etc.. - those that are interested can read the opinion above to see what was considered in determining that he was definitely a trader (a point which the IRS did not dispute). So I'll need to be able to point at those case notes, or I'll need your accountant / attorney's name and hope that either (a) they are int he Portland area or (b) they work via the Internet and can help somebody in Oregon :)

Thanks!

I emailed the other people I had found - they indicate that this remains undetermined by the IRS and are unable to provide a definitive answer on that. If I can point to specific case notes that seem to make this part clear, and then I can demonstrate enough trades using the in/out and # contracts criteria, then I'm in.
I thought the one of the main points of setting up a corporation was that you didn't have to meet the "Qualified Trader" criteria. (Or are you trying to do it without creating a corporation?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Discoducky
Do you have a link to the Poppe case? I've found this. But I'm not finding more detailed case notes, such as the detail that in/out are two trades, nor the part about individual contracts each counting as a trade.

Without the # contracts component though I'm nowhere close (the standard from that particular case that was determined to be adequate was 720 trades, well spread out throughout the year, significant daily energy, etc.. - those that are interested can read the opinion above to see what was considered in determining that he was definitely a trader (a point which the IRS did not dispute). So I'll need to be able to point at those case notes, or I'll need your accountant / attorney's name and hope that either (a) they are int he Portland area or (b) they work via the Internet and can help somebody in Oregon :)

Thanks!
I’m hole for the weekend but I would think that any accountant or attorney would have access to the full case notes.
In addition I did text my account and they only work in Florida but mentioned that anyone you are working with would have that access and be able to make a recommendation on the subject.

I’m hole for the weekend but I would think that any accountant or attorney would have access to the full case notes.
In addition I did text my account and they only work in Florida but mentioned that anyone you are working with would have that access and be able to make a recommendation on the subject.
Unfortunately the people I've started working with and think I'd like to work with have indicated its unclear and that seems to be that.

I might email them back one more time and pass along the info you provided - see if they'll go into the case notes and read more. They are clearly going by the Poppe finding regarding activity level as that was their first question (700 trades / year). But its not hard for me to imagine that they haven't read those case notes closely.

Thanks a lot - good stuff.

If it's not too late, my question is about precisely what constitutes a trade.

It's a technical term and that matters. We've clarified from enough different sources that I am confident that an open and a close are 2 trades. So a position is a trade to get in, and a trade to get out.

Therefore rolling is also 2 trades as a roll is closing an existing position and opening a new position.

But then it gets interesting. Is each contract in an option trade ticket a trade, or is the entire ticket a trade? If I sell 10 covered calls in a single transaction is that 10 trades or 1? I just assumed 1 but I COULD do 10 orders for 1 contract each. @UltradoomY has at least one opinion that he trusts and is acting on that each contract is 1 trade. So open and close 10 CC would be 10 trades each, for a total of 20 trades.

Then a second question - is a spread position 1 trade or 2? A put spread is made up of selling a put and buy a different put (1 long plus 1 short put). At least at Fidelity that goes into my trade history as 2 trades - purchase of the one and sale of the other. And it gets reversed when the spread is closed. Which turns into - if I sell to open 10 put credit spreads (made up of 10 long puts and 10 short puts) and then later close that put spread, do I have 2 trades (first question), 20 trades (10 spreads to open, 10 spreads to close), or 40 trades (10 long puts to open and 10 short puts to open, followed by 10 long puts to close and 10 short puts to close).

I assume it's true for most of us - I know that its true for me - each contract being a trade will make it easy for me to qualify as a trader, at least for setting up a business(es) around this activity. Especially with spread trading - that can turn into a lot of contracts fast. But if it's trade tickets then assuming 4 trades per day, 4 days per week (700+ per year), then I'm nowhere close and not going to get there.

And ideally - if that person can provide a link / reference / etc.. to case law or other appeal to authority the IRS would listen to that supports the answer. One thing that seems quite clear to me is that whatever the answer is, this isn't a locked and loaded / everybody knows the answer and it's only the ignorant that don't know it.

So if I go down this road, I want to have some stuff already in place in case of audit to demonstrate why what I'm doing is reasonable and defensible.