Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Professions on TMC

What best describes your career field?

• I'm in the Engineering Field

Votes: 72 31.9%
  • I'm a Professional Engineer

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I'm in the Sciences

Votes: 25 11.1%
  • I'm more on the business/finance side

Votes: 43 19.0%
  • I'm something OTHER than those above

Votes: 57 25.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marketing/Sales people do because they have inflated ego's.
Your post is a little over the top. The rest of your post is opinion based about OP and that's fine, but this generalization isn't true.

- - - Updated - - -

OK...so your poll needs a bit of refinement....I have a college degree in engineering and applied physics, but am not an engineer or physicist. I am in the sciences, however.
It reminds me a bit of this:
purity.png

I'm also a little confused by the first two options. What does it mean to be a "professional" engineer, as distinct from working in the field... your job title contains the word "engineer"? And what is considered engineering here? Software, hardware, electrical, structural, civil, aerospace, bio, mechanical, sanitation, social?

(Probably just self-identified by asking detailed questions... :)

I'm also a little confused by the first two options. What does it mean to be a "professional" engineer, as distinct from working in the field... your job title contains the word "engineer"? And what is considered engineering here? Software, hardware, electrical, structural, civil, aerospace, bio, mechanical, sanitation, social?

(Probably just self-identified by asking detailed questions... :)

A "Professional Engineer" (PE) is licensed by your State. Some disciplines require the PE to be able to sign and seal (take responsibility) for plans - especially roads, bridges, water, wastewater, and other stuff that will protect the public. A PE requires a 4 year degree + 4 years of internship under a licensed PE + passing the licensing exam.

Other disciplines believe it or not, like aerospace (my wife is an industrial engineer and builds black boxes) do NOT require a PE, but that's considered "in the engineering field".

So far then, I'm hearing we need additional disciplines for sales/marketing, math & applied research, IT, and delete "in the sciences"?

- - - Updated - - -

Categorizing people, who are inherently complex individuals, is limiting.

And it's easier to criticize than solve a problem. What are your suggestions for additional categories? I was simply trying to get a breakdown/make-up of our forum members - by asking THEM to categorize themselves. Not judging by any means.

Ok whoever redoes this poll with more categories, don't forget: entertainer, athlete, beggar, trustafarian, retired, and "none of your darned business"

Just interesting to recount: most common question to come up at first meeting in U.S. - What do you do?
Spent 5 years in UK where that would be rude. More likely to ask where you holiday... and then make subtle inquiries through mutual acquaintances

Ok whoever redoes this poll with more categories, don't forget: entertainer, athlete, beggar, trustafarian, retired, and "none of your darned business"

Just interesting to recount: most common question to come up at first meeting in U.S. - What do you do?
Spent 5 years in UK where that would be rude. More likely to ask where you holiday... and then make subtle inquiries through mutual acquaintances

Very true. In the U.S. it's rare to make it through a five minute introduction without hearing a variant of "What kind of work do you do?", and it usually comes in the first minute or two. You could spend a lifetime on the Continent and never hear that.

ETA Well, probably not...eventually you'd run into an American expat or tourist.

Last edited:
Hi all. I'm a licensed Professional Engineer (Electrical) in over 20 states. I own an engineering firm that I started up 11 years ago with a focus on energy efficiency and sustainability.

I worked for Big Oil for 12 years designing pipelines, gas stations, travel centers, pump stations in refineries, tank farm terminals, etc. I worked with many of the big oil companies (through joint ventures and teaming agreements). The general public would be outraged if they only knew how the price of gasoline was set every day. I know how pricing was set because I sat next to the group that did this for the major Midwest markets.

The then-company president over 10 years ago lied before Congress stating the oil company never withheld supply from the American public to drive up costs. That was a flat-out lie as I witnessed at a tank farm terminal the order from HQ to withhold the supply of gasoline to drive up the price in a major market. I quit the company shortly thereafter. The same company had over 3,000 miles of buried pipeline with 75% of it 1950s vintage steel that did not meet the minimum thickness. And oil companies state that buried pipelines are the safest method of transport.

Getting a Model S P85D is the ultimate for me. I hate buying gasoline because I know what is going on behind the scenes. The company spilled 30,000 gallons of diesel fuel into an infamous river that once caught on fire. The company did not report the spill to the EPA and tried to hide what happened. This is really shameful. They didn't try to clean it up but tried instead of cover things up. Glad the EPA figured things out and fined the company.

Now I spend my time designing Net-Zero Energy buildings with renewable energy sources. My company has designed several EV charging stations. I have designed my own EV 100-Amp, 240 Volt home charging station for the P85D (can't wait for it to get here) that will be a nice compliment to the new solar PV panels!

Very true. In the U.S. it's rare to make it through a five minute introduction without hearing a variant of "What kind of work do you do?", and it usually comes in the first minute or two.

And the moment you mention a field the other person isn't very knowledgeable about, they throw out the follow-up question "Where do you work? / Who do you work for?"
That one used to always make me uncomfortable, since I was usually working for a smaller company (or office) rather than a faceless megacorp at the time. So it was a lot more personal than I really wanted to share in casual social contact.

So over half of those that responded are in the engineering field. I answered my question. If someone wants to re-do the poll (I've been beaten up enough - again), based on the feedback herein, I would suggest:

Sciences (IT, Physics, mad genius)
Business/Finance (business owners, marketing, etc.)
Engineering (Professional Engineers and related engineering fields)
Entertainment (Athletes, trustafarians, beggars, etc.)
Health Care (Doctors, nurses, etc.)
Government (law enforcement, fire, local, state, federal)

"Retired" doesn't tell us much IMO. I think it would be better to hear what someone DID for more than 1/2 their life.

For those of you who want "None of your business", just don't answer the poll!