Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Professions on TMC

What best describes your career field?

• I'm in the Engineering Field

Votes: 72 31.9%
  • I'm a Professional Engineer

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I'm in the Sciences

Votes: 25 11.1%
  • I'm more on the business/finance side

Votes: 43 19.0%
  • I'm something OTHER than those above

Votes: 57 25.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most famous Engineer. Casey Jones

CaseyJones.jpg

Promotion to engineer

Jones went to work for the Mobile & Ohio RR and performed well and was promoted to brakeman on the Columbus, Kentucky to Jackson, Tennessee route, and then to fireman on the Jackson, Tennessee to Mobile, Alabama route.[SUP][7][/SUP]
In the summer of 1887 a yellow fever epidemic struck many train crews on the neighboring Illinois Central Railroad, providing an unexpected opportunity for faster promotion of firemen on that line. On March 1, 1888, Jones switched to the Illinois Central, firing a freight locomotive between Jackson, Tennessee and Water Valley, Mississippi.
He was promoted to engineer, his lifelong goal, on February 23, 1891. Jones reached the pinnacle of the railroad profession as a crack locomotive engineer for the Illinois Central. Railroading was a talent, and Jones was recognized by his peers as one of the best engineers in the business. He was known for his insistence that he "get her there on the advertised" (time) and that he never "fall down": arrive at his destination behind schedule. He was so punctual, it was said that people set their watches by him.

His work in Jackson primarily involved freight service between Jackson and Water Valley, Mississippi. Both locations were busy and important stops for the Illinois Central Railroad, and he developed close ties with them between 1890 and 1900.[SUP][3][/SUP]

Johan from Norway, I very much appreciate you coming up with a solution! However, this spreadsheet has 31,134 classifications. I think the poll can only handle 15 options - hence my attempt to consolidate.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be a PE in a few years, and own the Model 3.

Awesome! You can see from the forum that most folks don't have a clue what that is! Massive milestone in your career.

So over half of those that responded are in the engineering field. I answered my question.

Creating accurate polls (as you've quickly found) is an art. I'd also suggest that the data you have so far is biased. Out of the group, just what profession do you believe is "most likely to contribute to data gathering"? :)

Many of us are much more than a profession and don't want to be categorized that way. Our lives have evolved to be more than that. (Just ask a certain co-chair of an EV event you worked with in Florida.) I find TMC to be full of smart, funny, & entertaining people. Not trying to stop your poll, only pointing out that 1) your data is inaccurate & 2) explain the possible reason why.

And it's easier to criticize than solve a problem.

There was a problem that needed solving?

What are your suggestions for additional categories?

I'm pretty sure I answered that question but let me repeat: Categorizing people, who are inherently complex individuals, is limiting.

I was simply trying to get a breakdown/make-up of our forum members - by asking THEM to categorize themselves.

Right, except that YOU decided on the categories. Asking for additional categories AFTER the fact...

Why not IT? Or IT management? C-level?
Because IT is the unsung hero of business. Nobody says thanks when it's working. :mad: But one little problem, and the excreta impacts the rotating vortex generator...

Other disciplines believe it or not, like aerospace (my wife is an industrial engineer and builds black boxes) do NOT require a PE, but that's considered "in the engineering field".
I'm guessing there are a lot of TMC members in Silicon Valley who (like me*) are professional engineers but are not Professional Engineers. In 20+ years, I've don't think I've ever run across a hardware or software engineer with a PE title, even folks building life-critical systems. Or if they had one, they didn't make a big deal out of it, since the title was mostly irrelevant in the field.

Actually, some of the best sw/hw engineers I've had the pleasure to work with don't have an engineering degree (a couple of Physics majors come to mind). One was a college dropout.

* - although friends of mine tell me I'm not allowed to call myself an engineer since getting an MBA... :tongue:

Not to nitpick, but they are not profession engineers, they are engineers by profession. A Professional Engineers is licensed.

Max is exactly correct. If you aren't designing or taking responsibility for something that could do harm to the public (a bridge, road, water system) then a PE license is normally not required. IT is a good example of that - it isn't life or death. Although, the line is getting fuzzier every day with traffic management systems, computers controlling treatment plants, etc.

I got the data I wanted out of this poll (accurate or not, Bonnie).

I'm coming to the conclusion that most folks on TMC are simply here to vent and complain about their car or to criticize another's post(s). There aren't too many fun polls or positive reads on this forum - everyone is entirely too sensitive and most seem scared to even start a thread. This is a real shame because the Tesla Store Staff (according to one yesterday) used to direct potential buyers to this particular forum. But now, they make sure to never mention it. Great car, great company, just seems there's too many trolls out there hiding behind their profile name. I guess that's the way the world is heading . . .

Max is exactly correct. If you aren't designing or taking responsibility for something that could do harm to the public (a bridge, road, water system) then a PE license is normally not required. IT is a good example of that - it isn't life or death. Although, the line is getting fuzzier every day with traffic management systems, computers controlling treatment plants, etc.

Because IT is the unsung hero of business. Nobody says thanks when it's working. :mad: But one little problem, and the excreta impacts the rotating vortex generator...

I'm guessing there are a lot of TMC members in Silicon Valley who (like me*) are professional engineers but are not Professional Engineers. In 20+ years, I've don't think I've ever run across a hardware or software engineer with a PE title, even folks building life-critical systems. Or if they had one, they didn't make a big deal out of it, since the title was mostly irrelevant in the field.

Actually, some of the best sw/hw engineers I've had the pleasure to work with don't have an engineering degree (a couple of Physics majors come to mind). One was a college dropout.

* - although friends of mine tell me I'm not allowed to call myself an engineer since getting an MBA... :tongue:

The Canadian Information Processing Society has a professional designation called "I.S.P.", Information Systems Professional (and corresponding I.P.A. for the french version). It, like the PE, does not come automatically but requires a combination of proven education and relevant working experience, along with continuing re-certification to ensure currency in the field. It arose in the late '80's and early '90's out of the concern that software was increasingly becoming critical in all areas of human life, including life-and-death situations.

And likewise any profession, I met plenty of non-certified software professionals who were absolutely top-notch. However I also think certification is a good thing. I'm a retired systems analyst (I.S.P.).

I'm coming to the conclusion that most folks on TMC are simply here to vent and complain about their car or to criticize another's post(s). There aren't too many fun polls or positive reads on this forum - everyone is entirely too sensitive and most seem scared to even start a thread. This is a real shame because the Tesla Store Staff (according to one yesterday) used to direct potential buyers to this particular forum. But now, they make sure to never mention it. Great car, great company, just seems there's too many trolls out there hiding behind their profile name. I guess that's the way the world is heading . . .

Perhaps you've had a couple of bad experiences; perhaps that's colouring your view if you don't have corresponding good experiences to balance things out. My own experience has been that I've learned so much more here and many times I didn't even know there was a question that could be answered. And I've had plenty of laughs. There certainly are a few hot buttons that tend to get responded to quite quickly and sometimes forcefully. My memory says that may have come from the ridiculous FUD lies, "articles", and "journalism" (HAH!!!) in the past that took single comments from TMC or described situations reported on TMC and extrapolated wholesale untrue fabrications around them, the purpose being to discredit and, one assumes, destroy Tesla the company. So now comments that may have felt innocent to a newcomer sometimes get jumped on. I'm not defending the practice, just speculating one probable source of the habit.

But your conclusion... IMO is also extrapolating ("most folks are simply here...") with little data. On the other hand, here I am criticizing your post :). I hope you get some more positive reads and fun stuff. Cheers!

Let's review the poll, shall we:
I'm in the Engineering Field <- requires precision
I'm a Professional Engineer <- requires precision
I'm in the Sciences <- requires precision
I'm more on the business/finance side <- includes number crunchers
I'm something OTHER than those above <- programmer and analysts, surgeons, obsessive analytical investors etc

If you're in a forum with people in professions seeking or requiring precision, don't be surprised at discussions about precision.

I'm coming to the conclusion that most folks on TMC are simply here to vent and complain about their car or to criticize another's post(s). There aren't too many fun polls or positive reads on this forum - everyone is entirely too sensitive and most seem scared to even start a thread.

This forum is quite friendly and tame compared to some other forums I've visited.

You missed the Tesla fanatics, who will not allow you to say a bad word (even if it's true) about the Tesla gods.

Chris, perhaps your short but loud stint here at TMC has come to an end. Sorry to see the style and tone of the forum wasn't suited to your preferences, but hey, we're all different. Good luck and I hope you find some other place online to discuss and socialize with other Tesla fans.