Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Profile Name on main screen gone.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the new holiday update was loaded the drive profile is no longer shown on the main screen. Is there anyway to let you know what profile is loaded without having to change to the CONTROL screen?
No. that would violate the Tesla UI philosophy of removing everything useful from the main screen to give a 'clean interface.' It's just as convenient when buried in a menu, anyway. If you don't think so you're clearly a technophobe that hasn't bothered to learn your car!

This change is a PITA. My wife and I both drive it and I always need to select mine when I drive. Now I have to go thru the menu to just to switch profiles since they removed it from the front.

Also on the older UI your profile name would briefly flash "Saving" with a checkmark when you made an appropriate change. With the new software, that visual feedback is gone and while no doubt any changes are saving, it was nice to see that reassurance.

I have no inside information and Tesla certainly does not do a good job explaining their reason for changes. It is just my guess that they are preparing the UI for future enhancements. On the issue of Profiles, I would not be surprised that they removed them from the main screen because they intend to use the inside camera to pick the profile. At least I hope so. They updated the APP so your profile could be sync in multiple cars.

I do agree that there is a lack of consistent UI standards. Some icons you can select by touch and other not. Of course having the code running to detect touch in certain locations tends to slow things down and require more computing power to manage all those processes. An example of what I am talking about is I got an icon on my left panel of a tire pressure problem. I tried to touch the icon. Nothing happened. Yes, when you get a warning on the top panel and touch it, you get a message screen explaining what the error is.

Tesla has smart software guys. I think we should see what they have planned. It would be nice if they did some Tesla Blog and better communicate.

I have no inside information and Tesla certainly does not do a good job explaining their reason for changes. It is just my guess that they are preparing the UI for future enhancements. On the issue of Profiles, I would not be surprised that they removed them from the main screen because they intend to use the inside camera to pick the profile. At least I hope so. They updated the APP so your profile could be sync in multiple cars.

I do agree that there is a lack of consistent UI standards. Some icons you can select by touch and other not. Of course having the code running to detect touch in certain locations tends to slow things down and require more computing power to manage all those processes. An example of what I am talking about is I got an icon on my left panel of a tire pressure problem. I tried to touch the icon. Nothing happened. Yes, when you get a warning on the top panel and touch it, you get a message screen explaining what the error is.

Tesla has smart software guys. I think we should see what they have planned. It would be nice if they did some Tesla Blog and better communicate.
Don't assume things are changed for good reasons or some roadmap. Sometimes people make bad decisions or mistakes are made. Or its designed by a bot (sarc). So far the verdict on this "new" UI is thumbs down. It`s hard to even call it new when it is so clearly a step backward.

This change is a PITA. My wife and I both drive it and I always need to select mine when I drive. Now I have to go thru the menu to just to switch profiles since they removed it from the front.

you know you can tie the profile to your phone right?

Yes, that's what I thought would happen.. If it senses my phone unlocked it, it would use my profile.... but it doesn't work.

In the Model Y Owners Manual in the section about Pairing a Bluetooth-enabled phone it mentions how to make a phone a Priority device so it's always the first one used if more than one is detected.

In the Model Y Owners Manual in the section about Pairing a Bluetooth-enabled phone it mentions how to make a phone a Priority device so it's always the first one used if more than one is detected.

Not a solution if you drive about the same amount. We tried that, lasted 3 days.