Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Profiles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my 2022 model 3 and both my wife and myself are in the Tesla computer, however, every time my wife gets in the car, she has to change to her profile and go through bluetooth to get her phone connected manually. How can I make Tesla when I'm inside or when she's inside and change profiles automatically. I make sure only one of us gets inside the car to see if it changes.

Make sure your profile is linked to a specific phone or key card so the car knows who is in the car. You can also set a priority driver if both cars show up in the car.

Maybe someone else has more troubleshooting for you.

Did you link the key used to the profile in use? This is not automatic. After unlocking with any key (phone or card) goto the keys section and press the little person icon to associate the used key to the profile selected.

Did you link the key used to the profile in use? This is not automatic. After unlocking with any key (phone or card) goto the keys section and press the little person icon to associate the used key to the profile selected.
Yes I did link each key card with the specific phone. I thought that who ever got in the car, the car automatically switched to the person who was going to drive it. I guess I'm used to my Volvo that every time someone opens the door with their own key the car switches to that particular profile.

It does switch to the person who unlocked the car, that’s the whole point. The seat, mirrors, and a few other things (sadly not audio source logins) are changed automatically. If my wife unlocks with her phone or key card, the seat slams forward. When I unlock, I can see it move back, all automatic. If that is not happening, it sounds like it did not link (a screen shot of the lock settings may be helpful or maybe redoing it on your side).

BTW, any changes that you make while in the car need to be “saved”. You’ll see right under the profile a “save” button when you make a change that would be associated with a profile. If you dont save the change to the profile, nothing will happen on unlock.

It does switch to the person who unlocked the car, that’s the whole point. The seat, mirrors, and a few other things (sadly not audio source logins) are changed automatically. If my wife unlocks with her phone or key card, the seat slams forward. When I unlock, I can see it move back, all automatic. If that is not happening, it sounds like it did not link (a screen shot of the lock settings may be helpful or maybe redoing it on your side).

BTW, any changes that you make while in the car need to be “saved”. You’ll see right under the profile a “save” button when you make a change that would be associated with a profile. If you dont save the change to the profile, nothing will happen on unlock.
Thanks for the info, I thought I did all this in the beginning but I'll have to try again.

Make sure it looks something like this. Notice the profile name in grey under the key name.

Attachments

• FEE7AA73-C7CF-4C52-AEA1-AD8F295DED14.jpeg
    FEE7AA73-C7CF-4C52-AEA1-AD8F295DED14.jpeg
    806.7 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: Lindenwood
Make sure it looks something like this. Notice the profile name in grey under the key name.
I've done everything you have told me to do, in fact, the last thing I did was click on the little men which I didn't do before. According to your attachment my car has the same identical screen with two names and two key cards. I use my phone, get out of the car and wait until it locks, then I grab my wife's phone, unlock and enter the vehicle and my name is still there when I press the brake. Same goes the other way around, if I lock the car with my wife's profile, her profile stays when I come in and press on the brake, it won't change. My wife's name and mine do not gray out, the only things that grey out are the key cards. If you get in your car with your phone by yourself, does your wife's profile grays out or both names stay bold. Thanks again for all the information you provided, I'm going to take it to Tesla tomorrow.

When you switch profiles is it suppose to save and load bluetooth settings.
Seems dumb, if I switch my profile to me, it often is connected to my wifes phone by default.
Having to constantly change bluetooth settings every time I drive the tesla after my wife is about the most annoying *sugar* ever I would rather have a cord.

I've done everything you have told me to do, in fact, the last thing I did was click on the little men which I didn't do before. According to your attachment my car has the same identical screen with two names and two key cards. I use my phone, get out of the car and wait until it locks, then I grab my wife's phone, unlock and enter the vehicle and my name is still there when I press the brake. Same goes the other way around, if I lock the car with my wife's profile, her profile stays when I come in and press on the brake, it won't change. My wife's name and mine do not gray out, the only things that grey out are the key cards. If you get in your car with your phone by yourself, does your wife's profile grays out or both names stay bold. Thanks again for all the information you provided, I'm going to take it to Tesla tomorrow.
We are having the exact same issue with our 2022 M3. The profile does not change to the person that unlocks the car, instead it keeps the last person that drove the car and we have to manually change drivers every time to get our own profile seat and mirror settings. We each have a key card linked to our phone too. We are now going to try adding my wife as a driver to my account on my phone and she will get an invitation to be a driver and we will reinstall the app on her phone and try like that to see if it makes any difference. Seems like this should be a pretty simple thing for the car to do so not sure what's going on.

We are having the exact same issue with our 2022 M3. The profile does not change to the person that unlocks the car, instead it keeps the last person that drove the car and we have to manually change drivers every time to get our own profile seat and mirror settings. We each have a key card linked to our phone too. We are now going to try adding my wife as a driver to my account on my phone and she will get an invitation to be a driver and we will reinstall the app on her phone and try like that to see if it makes any difference. Seems like this should be a pretty simple thing for the car to do so not sure what's going on.
DId you resolve this issue? I have this issue with our 2022 MY. Even though the phone is associated to the right profile, it doesn't automatically change when we enter the car wtih the right phone.

DId you resolve this issue? I have this issue with our 2022 MY. Even though the phone is associated to the right profile, it doesn't automatically change when we enter the car wtih the right phone.
We did finally get this to work correctly, although I am not sure we did anything different than originally. I deleted all the profiles and started over and I think the sequence was to setup the card first and then associate it with the phone. I did first for myself then setup my wife's card and did the same thing. It does recognize and adjust everything correctly now. Good luck!

The UI for this is confusing and there are bugs so occasionally people need to delete and re-add phone keys.

1. Create a driver profile for each driver.
2. Each key (card or phone) can be "linked to" a profile. Then unlocking with that key will select that profile, e.g. restoring that driver's seat position.
3. If two of these phones approach the car, it won't always guess the right one. Alas, it does not detect which phone is near the driver's door. It seems to pick whichever phone connected first, even if that phone is still in the house while yours is in the garage next to the car.
4. There is NO priority profile. Rather each driver profile can be "linked to" a "priority" Bluetooth phone for the purpose of phone calls, text messages, and audio streaming.
5. If you're taller then the other driver, you might not like to reenact the Star Wars trash compactor scene every time the car guesses wrong. Tip: Set the shorter driver profile to use Easy Entry. Also, tapping any seat adjustment button should stop the auto adjustment.