Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Program Audio on TuneIn Channels Consistently Cut Off Early By Ads (With Poll)

Have you experienced advertisements on TuneIn cutting off program audio a few seconds early?

• Yes

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All:

For about a year, I've noticed that the audio on cable news shows such as those on MSNBC and CNN are consistently cut off a few seconds early by advertising when using the Tune In versions of these? Typically, it's enough to cut off the final sentence of the speaker or program host before cutting over to the advertisement.

By the way, for a while, they also had a timing error in which the *descriptions* of the ads (sometimes called "cards" in television production?) were heard being read by people at the advertising production company or TuneIn employees, which was ridiculous. It was actually the recordings of people reading descriptions of the advertisement before the ad itself was played. TuneIn fixed that when I alerted them to the issue about six months ago.

However, advertisements continue to start a few seconds early, cutting off the last sentence of speakers on cable shows before taking the commercial break. I've verified this happens only in the Tesla and never when listening to those same channels using the TuneIn app on my mobile devices.

How many people have experienced this same, really irritating, issue?

R,
Bill

I don't think I've ever heard an ad that wasn't an obvious sponsor of the podcast I was listening to and I've been listening for several years. Mostly NPR Up First, News Now, Clark Howard, and Conf T. I can't remember the last time I heard an ad. I am *not* logged in, using the generic Tesla login

I was able to contact TuneIn technical support. After giving them several examples of exactly when the programming was behind cut off by ads, I got this email:

"Thank you for patiently waiting. Our developers confirmed the ads issue you are hearing on these stations and plan to work with the broadcasters to resolve this issue. They haven't provided a timeframe for when they expect the issue to be fixed but our two sides are working on it."

Possibly a solution is getting closer.

A bit over a year ago, ads would come on prior to starting a local AM station on TuneIn. If I switched to something else and went back, the same ads would play all over again; was getting annoying. After a while they disappeared and never came back.

I've noticed the early cutoffs. It should be an easy fix, as these kind of things are automated with tones. It's interesting that you report that it's only on Tesla, and not when using the Tune In app on your phone.

The portion you heard before the commercial is called a slate. Production companies often supply this info before the mastered commercial. It's handy when there are several similar commercials that rotate from the same advertiser. Tune In may have automated the process of dubbing these commercials into their systems and nobody noticed that the system thought the slate was actually part of the content of the commercial.

At the end of the day it's probably not a priority for them. The advertisers are getting their spots run, and it's just a minor inconvenience to end users.

Reactions: 124chase