Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Programming charge times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just thumbing through the Chevy Volt page and saw one of their videos which described being able to program what time the car actually charges. Does anyone know if the Model S will be able to do this as well? Seems like a nice feature for those of us who may plug in during peak times but may not want to start charging for a few hours.

Was just thumbing through the Chevy Volt page and saw one of their videos which described being able to program what time the car actually charges. Does anyone know if the Model S will be able to do this as well? Seems like a nice feature for those of us who may plug in during peak times but may not want to start charging for a few hours.

I don't know of any modern car that plugs in that you can't set the time you want charging to start and end. Some systems are apparently easier to program than others judging by the number of "My Leaf didn't charge" posts. (Note that some of those are caused by the EVSE, not the Leaf.) I've never heard of a Roadster owner having a problem with this so I can't imagine it will be a problem with the Model S either.

Tesla Features Page said:
Ask Tesla owners how long it takes to charge and they'll say just a few moments. Like they do with a cell phone, most Tesla owners plug in at night. By morning, their battery is completely recharged. The Touchscreen can be used to create a customized charging schedule that enables you to charge when electricity rates are lower during off-peak hours.

Here ya go!

Welcome aboard, RandyS.

If you have a few minutes, can you PM (private message) me and AndyM with some of your initial unanswered questions? We're both interested in putting together a Model S FAQ at some point. Thanks.

We just took delivery of our Model S, and we're a little confused. We can't find out how to set the Time to Start Charging. Obviously with PG&E's TOU Billing rates, I want to charge starting at midnight, when it is cheapest.

Did the specifications change? (I see multiple mentions here on the forum for "Yes, you can set the time to Start charging." but the manual shows no such interface.)
Is this a feature that "will arrive in a software update"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes- It is a necessity! (fortunately it is winter and TOU difference is only ~$0.025 during 5-8pm)

My rates are different (E9-A): Tiers 1 through 5 vary from a 5 cent to 14 cents difference. Percentage-wise, that's roughly 60% to 100% more expensive to charge during peak hours than off-peak.

WinterPart-Peak$0.09864$0.11679$0.29721$0.33721$0.33721
Off-Peak$0.04680$0.06495$0.15808$0.19808$0.19808

- - - Updated - - -

(grrrrr...) Formatting fixed:

Winter, Tiers 1-5, Rate E9-A

Part-Peak$0.09864$0.11679$0.29721$0.33721$0.33721
Off-Peak$0.04680$0.06495$0.15808$0.19808$0.19808

In summary, it can cost me twice as much to charge my car, unless I don't plug it in until "Off-Peak" hours.

Yay! Beta Testing!

Yay! Beta Testing!
Yep. The Roadster has a "charge at X time" feature (along w/ every other EV). My only thought is that they're trying to have the "be ready to drive by X time" logic implemented and are having trouble with it. Although the Tesla-based RAV4EV has such logic so anyone's guess is as good as mine. If they don't get this implemented by the time my car comes I'll have to just plug it in before bed and suffer through an hour of part-peak.

+1, i agree on the 'done charging by x time' algorithm being tricky (battery temp/conditioning/balancing, load/current variances, etc), but i also think they might be trying to have a remote 'start/stop charging' function via the mobile app that they're working on. but yeah, a simple 'start charging' timer is a no-brainer. they could start w that. weird they haven't...