Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Programming Door Heights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
I’m at a bit of a loss here on what is possible on programming door heights in a Raven X 2019.36.2.3

There was another thread on this topic but I’ll be damned if I can find it.

The manual says if you lift the hatch or FWD door to a new height the touch screen should prompt to save it for that location. It does not prompt.

My doors currently have “learned” to open extremely low in my garage. But they also open low just outside the garage.

I asked Model Tech and he mumbled something about using the button on the door. He also thought it would open to the new programmed height regardless of location. Which made me nervous so I did nothing while he was here.

Occasionally it opens low (especially the hatch) at locations in wide open spaces. So I tried the “button”. No idea what to do, since it’s not in the manual. So I raised hatch to full height and held the button in. Big alarming ding happens with nothing on the touch screen. Close and open and now it opened to full height. Little bit of progress. It still opened to safe height in garage.

So then I tried the “button” on FWD. no
Luck.

Then I tried raising the hatch in the garage and programming that a little higher. No luck.

So for wide open spaces that should have opened the hatch fully I’ve managed to program. But nothing else.

What is doable?

I hope someone knows the special trick because it does not seem to work no matter what I try.

I wouldn't be that upset if it doesn't do anything smarter than what I found so far, but the Manual says more than what it's doing. Not sure if it's a bug in the current release, they took it out or it's now done differently.

I have seen this frequently, and the rear tailgate and FWDs "remember" the last setting of height. To reset it, take it outside and without obstruction, open and close the doors a few times and they will reset to the higher clearance. At least, that works for me. The tailgate can be also pushed up to the new height.
July 2018 Model X

I have exactly the same problem here in the UK. Get the Raven X out of the garage where it is wide open and the doors open low. Everywhere else they open high and when I return home and park outside the garage they then open high! The problem only occurs when the car has just come out of the garage and try what I can there is no fix. The trunk is ok as I just push it up but I am reluctant to do this with the FWD‘S as they are really stiff to push up.

I have had success by using the Quick Controls falcon wing door button to reset the door opening height. If the falcon doors open to a lower position, press and hold the falcon door open button on the Quick Controls touch screen. The "open doors to this height at this location" prompt will appear, which you can then select.

Hope this helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: VikH and mkspeedr
I noticed that - even in the garage, if the rear trunk opens low, the falcon doors do the same.

If you manually raise the trunk to the highest level, the falcon doors will now be able to open higher with the press of the button (raise door button).

Someone mentioned that the reason the doors still open low once you are immediately outside the garage is because that height sensor on top of the X is also tied to a distance travelled reading. In case someone partially left the garage and it opened up fully (without the top sensor reporting any obstruction), you run the risk of the doors and hatch hitting the ceiling.

Hi Mwslogo et al,

The car "remembers" the height of the door it passed through...
It will show the obstruction above the car inside the garage when there is no obstruction.

Unless and until you pass through the door in the opposite direction AND
get an unknown GPS distance away from your garage - It will NOT open fully
no matter what you do...

This has been my experience for the past year and a half...

Yes, the manual says "push it up to where you want it" - "Press the open button until your hear a long tone."
It does not work................................... It still opens only enough to clear the door...

The way it works now, I could (but will not) reverse through the door with the tailgate open
and not touch the door...

Out in the wild it will open fully...

End of Sermon,

Shawn

With the help of a very knowledgeable young lady in the Edinburgh (Scotland) sales centre I have resolved the problem, hopefully. Tested it over several days and so far all good in that the doors now open to full height when I first get the car out of the garage.

The procedure was:
Get the car out of the garage
Open the FWD which, of course only opened to low height
Press and continue pressing the open FWD button on screen
An alarm sounds but the FWD slowly opens to full height
A blue pop up button then appears on the screen asking if I always want to open at full height at this location
Press that button
Problem solved

Hope this works for those of you still struggling with half open doors when the car has just come out of the garage and is still very close to it.

Tony

• Love
Reactions: mswlogo
With the help of a very knowledgeable young lady in the Edinburgh (Scotland) sales centre I have resolved the problem, hopefully. Tested it over several days and so far all good in that the doors now open to full height when I first get the car out of the garage.

The procedure was:
Get the car out of the garage
Open the FWD which, of course only opened to low height
Press and continue pressing the open FWD button on screen
An alarm sounds but the FWD slowly opens to full height
A blue pop up button then appears on the screen asking if I always want to open at full height at this location
Press that button
Problem solved

Hope this works for those of you still struggling with half open doors when the car has just come out of the garage and is still very close to it.

Tony

You should add this to the Reset Thread and ping the OP.