TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Programming Garage Door Opener

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by atlas310, May 10, 2018.

1. atlas310

atlas310 Member

Dumb question, but I have one of those old multi-code garage door openers with the fixed 10 switch pins. Is it possible to program it into my Model 3? Or are only certain garage openers compatible?

2. mwenn1

mwenn1 Member

they have to be homelink compatible

• Like x 1
  3. Mishakim

Mishakim Member

It should work - for a simple remote like that, the HomeLink just records and plays back the RF signal, which never changes. You can probably use HomeLink's web page to figure it out for sure, if you know the brand etc.

• Like x 2
  4. atlas310

atlas310 Member

20180510_073451.jpg 20180510_073444.jpg it's this one. Do I need to stand up close? I was trying to get it to read from 5 get away with no luck.

5. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

Start the Homelink learn process on the screen and make sure you stand in front of the car, point it at the bumper and hold the button until your headlights flash. It can take up to 30 seconds. If your lights don't flash then it's probably not compatible. Of course you should make sure the batteries are good before you start.

• Like x 1
  6. atlas310

atlas310 Member

The new battery did the trick. Thanks!

7. animorph

animorph Active Member

If that doesn't work you can buy a receiver with remote that can piggyback on your current system and is Homelink compatible. Here's what I bought (Genie GIRUD-1T):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RYV05S/

Your old remotes will still work, Homelink will work, and you'll have an extra remote.

8. gregd

gregd Active Member

For the record, remotes have more-or-less omni-directional antennas. There is no way to "point" them at anything. It's not like an IR (optical) TV remote. Just hold it close to the car's pick-up, and it will work fine.

• Like x 1
  9. coleAK

coleAK Member

I had a heck of a time programming my home link to my Craftsman door. Struggled with it for over an hour. The process in the manual didn’t work. I figured out where the receiver on the car is and made a video on how I got it to program.

• Like x 1