Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Programming Homelink on refreshed MSLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need some help on programming Homelink on the refreshed model S. I have a Liftmaster 8550 opener. When I create the Homelink, it asks whether it is standard mode or D-mode. I chose standard mode, since I have a working RF remote. went through the steps where I pointed the RF remote at the Tesla logo and held down the opener button. Front lights flashed, and the main display says it is saved. When I tried it, it does not operate the opener.

It is interesting that for the standard mode, it does not tell me to push the Learn button on the garage door opener. I tried the D-mode next. I pushed the Learn button on the opener, and the LED next to it is lit. Went back to the car, and the main display said it had been trained, but that it would only work after the opener finished learning. I am not sure how to tell if the opener has finished learning. I saved the setting, but it will not operate the opener. Very frustrating.

Has anyone been successful programming the Homelink? Am I missing some steps? On my 2018 S100D, it was very straightforward, so I know the garage opener can work with Homelink.

I got it to work.

I think the problem is this: I have a 3rd party garage opener remote. That does not seem to work well with Tesla's Homelink programming. I found I have another Homelink remote in the house. This is the Chamberlain homelink 371JCI remote. This remote by itself does not open/close the garage door. However, this remote is used to program the Homelink receiver in cars. I created the Homelink using this remote, via the Direct mode, and it works.

Thanks for the help.

I got it to work.

I think the problem is this: I have a 3rd party garage opener remote. That does not seem to work well with Tesla's Homelink programming. I found I have another Homelink remote in the house. This is the Chamberlain homelink 371JCI remote. This remote by itself does not open/close the garage door. However, this remote is used to program the Homelink receiver in cars. I created the Homelink using this remote, via the Direct mode, and it works.

Thanks for the help.
Someone commented on a previous post that you should use an original model remote, and after talking with Chamberlain, there was a master remote of the two they give you. Evidently, only the master remote would work to program the car. If one remote doesn't work, try the other one was the suggestion from Chamberlain. Not sure if this is true, but learn a new trick every day!

When I installed the Liftmaster garage door opener 8 years ago, I got the Homelink repeater and the Homelink remote. That remote does not operate the opener, but it is used to program Homelink receivers in cars.

The other remote I got operated the opener, but I lost it. I got a 3rd party replacement that works with the opener, but apparently it cannot be used to program Homelink receivers.

Need some help on programming Homelink on the refreshed model S. I have a Liftmaster 8550 opener. When I create the Homelink, it asks whether it is standard mode or D-mode. I chose standard mode, since I have a working RF remote. went through the steps where I pointed the RF remote at the Tesla logo and held down the opener button. Front lights flashed, and the main display says it is saved. When I tried it, it does not operate the opener.

It is interesting that for the standard mode, it does not tell me to push the Learn button on the garage door opener. I tried the D-mode next. I pushed the Learn button on the opener, and the LED next to it is lit. Went back to the car, and the main display said it had been trained, but that it would only work after the opener finished learning. I am not sure how to tell if the opener has finished learning. I saved the setting, but it will not operate the opener. Very frustrating.

Has anyone been successful programming the Homelink? Am I missing some steps? On my 2018 S100D, it was very straightforward, so I know the garage opener can work with Homelink.
I have a 2018 Tesla Model S 100D, and the only way I could reliably program HL was to open the trunk while programming it. Then, the gate wouldn't open half the time. When t he Mobile Service guy came to see what the issue was, he found he was able to program HIS Tesla with my remote, Tesla ended up replacing the whole Homelink receiver/transmitter and I haven't had a problem since.

I just now successfully completed HomeLinking my 2021 Model S refresh with my Liftmaster 8500 after a couple of failures. Tap the HomeLink icon at the top of the controls screen and follow the instructions, paying attention to a few small details (delete the name of the failed attempt first). Use Standard Mode:
In the first step: stand at the driver's side corner of the bumper, near the headlight, and press and hold the open garage door button on the remote until the headlight(s) flashes (the garage door will open/close too, depending on how you started. It's probably best to start with it closed so that you can access the myQ control panel in the next step, but it still works if you need to open the garage door using the Liftmaster remote in the middle of this set-up process).
For the next step, be sure to press the learn button on the "myQ Control Panel" TWICE so that the tiny red LED remains illuminated. The myQ panel is separate from the door operator itself. Mine is mounted about 4' high on the wall just inside the garage door. Flip open the small window covering the top half of the myQ panel to access the LEARN button.
My failures were due to holding the remote near the front of the car (the headlights never flashed) and only pressing the LEARN button once on the myQ control panel.

Reactions: Hamilton237