Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Programming Key Fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yinn

Nov 15, 2016
Behind you
I was having a discussion today on how slick the Tesla key fobs are, and potential new feature of Bluetooth pinging to prevent the loss of keys, new fob syncing for profiles, etc.

A question came up - any idea if one key can be paired to multiple Tesla cars? For example if I had a MS and a M3, that's 4 fobs. Switching them may lead to hunting through undescript keys, whereas I currently keep my MS key in my jacket pocket and it pretty much stays there permantly. Are there any instructions on programming a key fob to the car?

I found this thread because I had the same question. I like to keep my keys to an absolute minimum. One fob for two Tesla would be great. I am pretty sure they program the keys to the car, how else would a replacement key work. So, if the key types are the same, it should be possible I hope. Now I just need a good BT LE door lock for my house.

After dinner at BottleCap Alley in Grapevine this evening (1/2 price wings), when we got to the car, it would not wake up nor present the door handles. I thought I remember someone saying that if the FOB battery was low, one could put the FOB near the VIN and it would wake up the car.

After presenting the FOB near the VIN it did not seem to wake up. I started the phone app. It said waking up but it didn’t, and the car did not show any sign of activity. I then put the FOB back near the VIN, and the car woke up. After I got in the car, it said Car Off and would not come on when I pressed the brake. I was about to pull out my phone again when the car came on.

When I got home I opened the FOB and tested the battery. It said 3.0v. I went ahead and replaced the battery with a new one and nothing. So I found my second FOB and it works just fine. My main FOB does not work at all. It is almost like it lost the pairing with the car.

Anyone has experienced something like this? Can the FOB lose the pairing with the car? Can I re-pair a FOB? Or should I open a call to Tesla?

Thanks in advance!

It is unlikely the fob lost it's pairing with the car. It's serial number is stored in the car. It is more likely that either the receiver or the transmitter in the fob has failed. I'm assuming that you don't have the fob and cellphone in the same pocket. The transmitter in the cellphone will overload the receiver in the fob and prevent it from hearing the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: StarLog
When I got home I opened the FOB and tested the battery. It said 3.0v. I went ahead and replaced the battery with a new one and nothing. So I found my second FOB and it works just fine. My main FOB does not work at all. It is almost like it lost the pairing with the car.

Anyone has experienced something like this? Can the FOB lose the pairing with the car? Can I re-pair a FOB? Or should I open a call to Tesla?

Thanks in advance!

That is exactly what happened to me, but I disconnected the sensor antenna while installing a 360 camera system, and thought it was the fob battery. It was not the fob battery,finding out after I replaced the battery. Then realized the damn antenna was disconnected.

So, the fob will need to be reprogrammed to the car, it should be FREE as my last reprogram was free by the mobile tech coming to my work and doing it.

The fob is NOT damaged.

After dinner at BottleCap Alley in Grapevine this evening (1/2 price wings), when we got to the car, it would not wake up nor present the door handles. I thought I remember someone saying that if the FOB battery was low, one could put the FOB near the VIN and it would wake up the car.

After presenting the FOB near the VIN it did not seem to wake up. I started the phone app. It said waking up but it didn’t, and the car did not show any sign of activity. I then put the FOB back near the VIN, and the car woke up. After I got in the car, it said Car Off and would not come on when I pressed the brake. I was about to pull out my phone again when the car came on.

Thanks in advance!
See the manual, I believe it's under the door (where you put a dead fob and it will still work to open the car), or was that only for the X? I had the same thing happen when I replaced a battery (several threads about it) and the service center 'had to reset the gateway'. Sounds like BS but who knows what term means what for internals any more....

Thanks in advance!

See the manual, I believe it's under the door (where you put a dead fob and it will still work to open the car), or was that only for the X? I had the same thing happen when I replaced a battery (several threads about it) and the service center 'had to reset the gateway'. Sounds like BS but who knows what term means what for internals any more....

Actually, you should place the fob above the wiper on the passenger side:
upload_2019-8-29_7-41-18.png

Actually, you should place the fob above the wiper on the passenger side:
View attachment 447910
Thanks David! Pretty sure there is a receiver under the driver door for the X, let me check my manual... one more thing they didn’t standardize...

Whoops, front of the left passenger door. At the bottom. No idea why not the same as the S. Right at the front of the door at the edge. Page 11 in my PDF. On mobile or I’d copy and paste.

Then it says to drive, place below 12 V outlet on console. Maybe that’s the same as the S.

Of course, if you have connectivity, the app would work.

Last edited:
Here is the Model X one from the manual.
To unlock Model X (and disable the security alarm), first position the key at the base of the door pillar between the front door and the falcon wing door, on the driver's side of the vehicle, as shown. Then press the front driver's door handle. If Model X doesn't unlock, try adjusting the position of the key. The key must be in the correct position. If Model X still doesn't unlock, remove the key's battery and try again.
Note for awhile I had a bad fob, that Tesla eventually replaced, that kept going "brain dead". The battery level was fine but periodically it just did not work. The answer for me was a slightly altered version of the last sentence. Just pulling and replacing the battery caused the fob to "reboot" and it would work again for about a month or so.

I have a mobile appointment for Sep 14 to check my dead FOB. Luckily my second FOB works just fine. Guess I could also resort to the App in a last case scenario.

Tesla moved my appointment up to 9/6. The technician brought another FOB. Not sure if new or refurbished. He mentioned he had to send the bad one back to Tesla to analyze and figure what went wrong.

The technicians were very friendly, and completed the FOB programming within 15 minutes.

Excellent service. First time in my 66 years that a car company comes to my home to service my car! Just awesome.

1B15CBDA-28BD-4141-8028-59940C1D20EE.jpeg

Reactions: TJPDX
I took delivery of my DEC16 S in Sep20 and after checking everything I signed and they walked away and told me to enjoy...I stopped the guy and asked "you want to give me the keys/fobs?" "Oh you don't have them..." "I wouldn't have them" "Oh I dont think we have any keys for it. They didn't send it [from California to Georgia] with any keys." "ok..." "I'll see if we can get you some keys" "Yes" About 5 mins or so later he came back with two keys in sealed bag with sticker. They were clearly unused.

I know it might not be easy to beat them up. They just had the new new look not like they found the keys somewhere. These didn't look like anything 4y/o. Point is pairing keys with the car cannot be a challenge but it does seem like it might take a connection to the mothership/service center mode to the car.
Just adding to the conversation. But unless there is some rule/control that prevents assigning a key to multiple cars I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work.