TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Programming Key Fob

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Yinn, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Yinn

Yinn Member

I was having a discussion today on how slick the Tesla key fobs are, and potential new feature of Bluetooth pinging to prevent the loss of keys, new fob syncing for profiles, etc.

A question came up - any idea if one key can be paired to multiple Tesla cars? For example if I had a MS and a M3, that's 4 fobs. Switching them may lead to hunting through undescript keys, whereas I currently keep my MS key in my jacket pocket and it pretty much stays there permantly. Are there any instructions on programming a key fob to the car?

2. croman

croman Active Member

No, they are specific to a particular car. I believe only Tesla can program them but perhaps someone like Ingineer or wk057 can also do that.

• Informative x 1
  3. croman

croman Active Member

Also, FYI, not trying to be a hater but I find that your location description is particularly creepy. Like not good creepy.

• Funny x 3
  4. Yinn

Yinn Member

I'm sorry if it offends you. I can change it. How about "Behind you - relax, in a good creepy way" better?

• Funny x 1
  5. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Funny! I am always in front of you because you are TOO DAMN SLOW!!!

:D

6. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

I found this thread because I had the same question. I like to keep my keys to an absolute minimum. One fob for two Tesla would be great. I am pretty sure they program the keys to the car, how else would a replacement key work. So, if the key types are the same, it should be possible I hope. Now I just need a good BT LE door lock for my house.

7. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

I also have the same question. Tesla CLAIMS it cant be done, but they say lots of things can't be done. Doesn't make much sense on WHY it caan't be done since the car is recognizing the key and not the other way around... WK... answer us??? :)