Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Progress on SGIP request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@holeydonut what are your thoughts on SGIP getting more funds in 2021? I read they added $1 billion for next 5 years till 2024 but not sure if all of that is available. Fires, high winds , PSPS have become more frequent in SO CAL.

The quick answer to your question is "not any time soon". The SGIP folks said there are no plans for additional funds. And there are no items in the California house or senate related to expanding government-subsidized energy storage expansion.

The $1bn that you're referring to was added through Senate Bill 700 which kicked on January 2, 2019. There isn't another $1bn coming as we enter 2021. These funds were intended to help install 2,000 MW (2 GW) storage new in the state of California; bringing the total state-subsidized storage to 2.5 GW.

But in the long run, it's reasonable to assume that battery power needs to be further expanded. So we should see "something" eventually.

I remember seeing some estimates that thought California needs over 10 GW of storage to really offset its resiliency and darkness hours after Diablo Canyon is shuttered. So it stands to reason the state will need to do something to add to new energy storage initiatives.

If the state can get $5Bn to pay for stem cell research, I guess we can come up with something for more batteries too. And of course the Federal level may push storage money down to the states. I haven't read Biden's green plan.

Reactions: mnsweeps
I paid 100% to Tesla. Tesla has to file for my ER rebate.. then wait many months for SCE approval and once approved they send the check to me directly. I live in fire zone and on medical baseline.

and ER budget has a ton of money which I am tracking for past 2 months now.. I am afraid when Tesla applies that would be depleted and I would have to wait 2 years instead of 1 yr .. :-(

Is Tesla actually applying for SGIP with Equity/Resiliency? If so, have to ask my advisor, or, did you take the self developer approach? I know there was a thread here where someone had been tackling that themselves..

Is Tesla actually applying for SGIP with Equity/Resiliency? If so, have to ask my advisor, or, did you take the self developer approach? I know there was a thread here where someone had been tackling that themselves..

They still haven't applied for mine. They keep saying they have a backlog. I don't want to do it myself.. Too complicated IMHO. I think even if you do it yourself you would still need a lot of info from Tesla.

They still haven't applied for mine. They keep saying they have a backlog. I don't want to do it myself.. Too complicated IMHO. I think even if you do it yourself you would still need a lot of info from Tesla.

From talking to my installer company, the money is gone for SGIP equity/resiliency and they are not expecting anymore in the future. So, they are still putting apps in for the waiting list, but never expect them to ever get funded. Not clear I will either even though I have been in the process for many many months

From talking to my installer company, the money is gone for SGIP equity/resiliency and they are not expecting anymore in the future. So, they are still putting apps in for the waiting list, but never expect them to ever get funded. Not clear I will either even though I have been in the process for many many months
Thats true only for PGE.. I am in SO CA and they(SCE) have funds.

Last edited:

Yeah the SGIP has evolved quite a bit over the last few months. I think the SGIP has become rather difficult to submit as an individual homeowner. But it's not impossible.

What is impossible is trying to get the "developer key" from the SGIP to submit as an individual homeowner. There were caps put in place to prevent a single company from bogarting too much of the SGIP budget. So when companies like Tesla and Sunrun ran out of their SGIP allocation, the SGIP folks started accusing those corporations of pushing the homeowner to get their own developer key to circumvent the quota.

If you're going through Tesla they should be able to do the Equity and Equity Resiliency submissions for you. You know you're Equity since you'll be low-income and probably not owning a Tesla. You know you're Equity Resilience if you're in a fire zone AND on medical baseline or critical well water (no alternate sources of water but a pump).

If Tesla is slow-rolling anyone now... it could be because they've hit their corporate maximum. Or they are having a tough time qualifying the home for Equity Resiliency. If Tesla's quota maxes out, the homeowner is SOL since there is a near 0% chance that SGIP will let the homeowner submit as their "own developer". If Tesla tries to force Equity Resiliency where it doesn't apply, the application will be rejected.

The Small-Scale residential is out of funds so Tesla probably won't even put you on the wait list since the it is almost 0% chance of anyone getting a system today and landing those scarce funds.

The Large-Scale General Market fund is too complicated and Tesla states on their own rebates page that they will not help howeowners.
Tesla will only be submitting customers in the residential budget, therefore only systems of up to 2 Powerwalls will be submitted through Tesla. Other developers may choose to submit applications for systems with 3 or more Powerwalls, but these systems will be subject to additional sizing requirements.

The Large-Scale Equity fund is only for not for profits, schools, government buildings, etc; Tesla won't help with that... and it's unlikely anyone on this forum would qualify.

Last edited:
Interesting, wonder why the difference

The SCU Complex Fire and related incidents basically triggered a massive number of people in NorCal to apply for Equity Resiliency under the guise the home was in a fire zone and had well water or on medical baseline. The problem is the home has to be exclusively on well water to get the SGIP under the ER program. Simply "having well water" isn't actually sufficient for ER.

Reactions: jjrandorin
The SCU Complex Fire and related incidents basically triggered a massive number of people in NorCal to apply for Equity Resiliency under the guise the home was in a fire zone and had well water or on medical baseline. The problem is the home has to be exclusively on well water to get the SGIP under the ER program. Simply "having well water" isn't actually sufficient for ER.

When they added wells would qualify, they had no rules, so they got tons of applications, many of which were approved. Then they changed to well water had to be 100%, must be primary residence, and max income level. Many folks in the pipe I hear where thrown out since they did not qualify to new rules, even though the application was put in before these changes. Many upset folks and businesses.

Oh well, so is life.

Yeah the SGIP has evolved quite a bit over the last few months. I think the SGIP has become rather difficult to submit as an individual homeowner. But it's not impossible.

What is impossible is trying to get the "developer key" from the SGIP to submit as an individual homeowner. There were caps put in place to prevent a single company from bogarting too much of the SGIP budget. So when companies like Tesla and Sunrun ran out of their SGIP allocation, the SGIP folks started accusing those corporations of pushing the homeowner to get their own developer key to circumvent the quota.

If you're going through Tesla they should be able to do the Equity and Equity Resiliency submissions for you. You know you're Equity since you'll be low-income and probably not owning a Tesla. You know you're Equity Resilience if you're in a fire zone AND on medical baseline or critical well water (no alternate sources of water but a pump).

If Tesla is slow-rolling anyone now... it could be because they've hit their corporate maximum. Or they are having a tough time qualifying the home for Equity Resiliency. If Tesla's quota maxes out, the homeowner is SOL since there is a near 0% chance that SGIP will let the homeowner submit as their "own developer". If Tesla tries to force Equity Resiliency where it doesn't apply, the application will be rejected.

The Small-Scale residential is out of funds so Tesla probably won't even put you on the wait list since the it is almost 0% chance of anyone getting a system today and landing those scarce funds.

The Large-Scale General Market fund is too complicated and Tesla states on their own rebates page that they will not help howeowners.

The Large-Scale Equity fund is only for not for profits, schools, government buildings, etc; Tesla won't help with that... and it's unlikely anyone on this forum would qualify.

Thanks, definitely helpful. I was thinking I would have to try and apply as a developer, but, looks like that may be a Lost cause?

Just moved to a house that's in the Tier 3 area, and applied for medical baseline through SCE's online application process..
I applied for the 8.16+2PW back in late October right before escrow closed, and they still keep putting the previous home owner's name and SCE account information on the NEM docs.. definitely not a streamlined process through Tesla.

Thanks, definitely helpful. I was thinking I would have to try and apply as a developer, but, looks like that may be a Lost cause?

Just moved to a house that's in the Tier 3 area, and applied for medical baseline through SCE's online application process..
I applied for the 8.16+2PW back in late October right before escrow closed, and they still keep putting the previous home owner's name and SCE account information on the NEM docs.. definitely not a streamlined process through Tesla.

I sent a request to SGIP to get my own developer key back in early August and didn't get approval until early October (just beating the crazy fire storms). It took a bit of back and forth to convince them that I was more involved with my solar project than your average homeowner.

Another forum member here said they were being denied by SGIP for their own developer key when applying for one using the same channels me.

I sent a request to SGIP to get my own developer key back in early August and didn't get approval until early October (just beating the crazy fire storms). It took a bit of back and forth to convince them that I was more involved with my solar project than your average homeowner.

Another forum member here said they were being denied by SGIP for their own developer key when applying for one using the same channels me.

Since I have heard no money left, not sure what folks progress forward is

I am in SO CA too and my PTO was Dec 4 (24 panels + 2 PW). Tesla hasn't even applied for my SGIP ER so far. Lets keep in touch with each other with any updates as I am eligible for being in Tier 3 + Medical Baseline and SCE has funds available.

Reactions: mjptech
I am in SO CA too and my PTO was Dec 4 (24 panels + 2 PW). Tesla hasn't even applied for my SGIP ER so far. Lets keep in touch with each other with any updates as I am eligible for being in Tier 3 + Medical Baseline and SCE has funds available.

My only guess as to why PGE ran out of ER money so quickly is we had more power shut downs and a lot more folks on wells.