Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Progressive insurance Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla insurance recently reduced my rate to $75 per month after six months of safe driving. This is comprehensive with $1000 deductible, 100/300/100 liability, and rental coverage. It beats the hell out of any other rate I can find. Catch is that the rate varies with your safety score, but the same type policy with Progressive was $180/month to start. There is no easy way to compare Tesla's rate because the safety score is skewed in favor of FSD driving and, as we all know, when driving with FSD your score is always perfect.

Tesla insurance recently reduced my rate to $75 per month after six months of safe driving. This is comprehensive with $1000 deductible, 100/300/100 liability, and rental coverage. It beats the hell out of any other rate I can find. Catch is that the rate varies with your safety score, but the same type policy with Progressive was $180/month to start. There is no easy way to compare Tesla's rate because the safety score is skewed in favor of FSD driving and, as we all know, when driving with FSD your score is always perfect.
USAA started doing the similar discount. You have to install their app and the app will track your driving behavior, but not as much as Tesla does since the USAA app only tracks harsh braking, handheld phone use, handsfree phone use, and general phone handling while driving. It says up to 30% discount every policy period.
In my case, the USAA base rate is cheaper than the Tesla insurance even without those discounts, so I am assuming the other insurance companies will do the same or similar practice.

Regardless of the carrier the best way to cover these issues is not have $500k liability and a $1M umbrella. $500K is the min to get one and an Umbrella is cheap for the extra $1M and covers the car and house and you on the street, etc. Having less than $500K seems crazy for people with assets.
I am very well covered from an insurance perspective. I never do the minimums. I have several umbrella policies.

FYI - Progressive was very good about giving money back to my parents. One time I clearly remember, they gave my parents back a check for $20k. They were also very good at investigating a major accident my parents were in.

I used to use USAA for everything. After I had a really bad customer service experience with them (related to banking but impacted my insurance), I moved everything away.

Exactly what USAA is. I get a check every year from them distributing any excess money they have left over. Several hundred dollars last time. They don't have stockholders, that's why I am a "member" rather than a customer.

One of the many reasons they rate at the top in most surveys. Another is their fantastic service. Another is they are like Tesla, they don't press you to get insurance you don't need. Like any large company you can always find someone unhappy, but those anecdotal experiences are pretty rare.
Remember the annual distribution is separate and different from the subscribers savings account. Double bennies!