Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Progressive insurance Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at a new quote it looks like it would be about $200 higher today than just a month or so ago when I got my Model Y. I can deal with a couple hundred bucks more every six months (it was already a good deal of like ~$95/mo with basically everything maxed) but if it jumps four or five hundred in six months I'll probably look elsewhere or drop some coverage (like the $3k extra for PPF and stuff :( )

I suspect the $15k to $20k rear end "dents" are catching up to them. It's insane how fast the bill jumps on these cars for damage that doesn't look really all that bad...

I find some of these prices really steep. Now I'm a bit older and have a clean driving record and I also have four cars on my policy and have my homeowners through them, but GEICO is charging me 242.54 every six months for my Model Y. I do keep a higher deductible for comp and collision ($2k). I don't know if this is a Pennsylvania thing or not but I would check GEICO out.

We all need to look into Cooperative insurance where people get together and manage their own insurance losses (hire some bean counters to crunch the numbers) and return money to members at the end of the year when the Cooperative makes a profit.[/QUOTE said:
This is what "mutual" companies are supposed to be. Maybe they were really like this at one time in history, but not really so much anymore.

If you can quote with Electric Insurance (out of MA) in your various states, give them a try. Smaller company and they aren't the most tech advanced. But they write a really nice policy (in terms of coverage) and are very very competitive for me and a few friends I've sent there. (Arizona). I have home/auto/umbrella there.

Acuity (out of WI) writes a great package too and is typically competitive.

(Electric and Acuity are names you may not have heard of...but when you don't pay Flo seven figures a year to make "funny" commercials, you might be able to offer better insurance prices.)

As for Progressive (and honestly GEICO too), even if you have a great rate with them, they're honestly a PITA to deal with on claims. (I am an insurance lawyer and deal with dozens of claims a year. No, not EVERY Prog./GEICO claim is a PITA, but by and large they just are. State Farm and USAA are close to being just as bad.)

Last edited:
I find some of these prices really steep. Now I'm a bit older and have a clean driving record and I also have four cars on my policy and have my homeowners through them, but GEICO is charging me 242.54 every six months for my Model Y. I do keep a higher deductible for comp and collision ($2k). I don't know if this is a Pennsylvania thing or not but I would check GEICO out.

I saved a $1000/yr switching from Geico to Progressive just recently. Everyone besides you complains how Geico overcharges for Teslas.

Reactions: preilly44
I have Progressive and spend $567 for 6 months. Full coverage on my Model Y and my sons 2007 Lexus LS 460. PL/PD on my 2007 Honda Pilot (winter beater). $209/6 months for the Model Y. $1k deductible. I'm sure I'm getting a multi-car discount. Plus I'm old and me and my son have no tickets/accidents. And I'm in Michigan which I thought had outrageous insurance premiums. I guess I should be thankful.

Model Y Geico.jpg
I saved a $1000/yr switching from Geico to Progressive just recently. Everyone besides you complains how Geico overcharges for Teslas.
I doubt that it's "everyone". I can't speak for anyone else. I had problems with GEICO being high on my Tesla a few years back. I left them and went to Liberty Mutual. Then Liberty got ridiculous renewing my policy so I shopped it again and GEICO gave me the best deal by far. At the time I checked out Progressive and they were double the GEICO rate. Insurance has so many variables that it's hard to compare them, (location, annual mileage, driving history, age, credit report, multiple cars, homeowner bundles, etc.).

This is why threads like this are so great. Some people think they are getting gouged, but come to find that they pay less than most. Others think they are getting a great deal, only to find their costs are much higher than others. This definitely gives us (me at least) some perspective. I know I pay a premium "California Tax", but among others I know in CA my rates are pretty standard. Those in other states or in rural areas may be paying much less. Definitely an eye opener. :cool:

Does anyone else here have Progressive insurance for their Model Y?

I recently just got my 6 month renewal documents starting 12/2 and my 6 month premium increased from $689 to $1,189. I immediately called them and asked them to review because the rate of increase was ludicrous. After a week or so I finally go this answer..."We incorrectly priced all model y's initially and have now adjusted to the correct rates." I'm just shocked at how incompetent this company. I've been with progressive for over 10 years now, but I'm shopping rates. I don't wanna do business with them any longer, this was such an egregious mistake that probably has affected a good amount of people. Maybe someone wouldn't have bought the car, if they were quote the correct rate.
So it's safe to say you won't be going with the Flo? :D

we just got our auto renewal - Liberty Mutual went up about $600 annually (a 50% increase) from what our Y initially cost annually. It's all in collision, they claim it's more expensive to repair. Last time this happened, we shopped around got a better rate, and LM then came in under it to keep the business. So, time to go shopping again

As a data point: Connect (formerly Ameriprise) by Costco:

Max liability coverages, $500 deductible on 2017 M3 and 2020 MY: $758 for six months. That's for BOTH cars.
Both drivers with clean records in our 60s.

Been meaning to get a quote from them through Costco. Have you had any experience with filing a claim with them yet? Reviews I’ve read weren’t that great and seems they increase your premium quite a bit after a filing a claim.

Been meaning to get a quote from them through Costco. Have you had any experience with filing a claim with them yet? Reviews I’ve read weren’t that great and seems they increase your premium quite a bit after a filing a claim.
The only claim was five years ago, less than a month after switching to them. It was a windshield crack, and it was handled without any hassle.
Maybe that's why my premium is so low. ;)