Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Progressive insurance Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurance is going to be the death of me with this car. One accident 4 years ago and the lowest I was able to find was nationwide at $335 per month $100 more than my current Audi. Accident should fall off of my record in January hopefully I can shop it again then.
$335 per MONTH?! That's half my six month policy and I'm essentially fully loaded on my policy.

Mind if I ask if the accident involved speeding or drinking or something else?

$335 per MONTH?! That's half my six month policy and I'm essentially fully loaded on my policy.

Mind if I ask if the accident involved speeding or drinking or something else?
Nope it was a relatively small fender bender lady veered into my lane when someone parked swung their door open. I was only deemed at fault because I hit the back of her. Pay out was 28,000.

For shits and giggles Chubb quoted me 8500 a year.

Attachments

• 5047FAFC-6565-4DDC-9CC6-F98B041569D7.jpeg
    5047FAFC-6565-4DDC-9CC6-F98B041569D7.jpeg
    529.8 KB · Views: 85
Nope it was a relatively small fender bender lady veered into my lane when someone parked swung their door open. I was only deemed at fault because I hit the back of her. Pay out was 28,000.

For shits and giggles Chubb quoted me 8500 a year.
Geeze mine didn't go up that much when I was 23 and got into an accident (I wasn't insuring a Tesla then but still)

Are you using an agent to shop around for you? Agencies always got me the best deal than going direct.

Geeze mine didn't go up that much when I was 23 and got into an accident (I wasn't insuring a Tesla then but still)

Are you using an agent to shop around for you? Agencies always got me the best deal than going direct.

yea I’m only 28 now. I’ve been use to high-ish rates part of living in NYC and driving fast cars (my 2 previous cars were Audi S4s).

I shopped on my own and went through 2 different brokers. one high end and one normal she was able to save me 50 off of the online quote from Nationwide .

I have a Progressive policy with a BMW X5 and Honda Pilot on it. Added the Model Y, as required for delivery, and policy went up by $120 per month. This is with zero accidents or tickets. The only time I have actually used the insurance was for a windshield replacement. I'll take off the BMW soon, so it will interesting to see how much the payment goes back down. If it's still high, I'll be shopping around.

I just used Costco Connect and they quoted me. (They are American Family)
$336 for 6 months for a Performance Y I’m picking up next week.
Yeah, just checked Costco and they are more expensive for me than Liberty, apples to apples.
Costco home owners also coming in much higher than Progressive or Liberty for me, apples to apples.

Last edited:
Yeah, just checked Costco and they are more expensive for me than Liberty, apples to apples.
Costco home owners also coming in much higher than Progressive or Liberty for me, apples to apples.
That's not our experience. On homeowner's, you're right that they were higher than AAA. But for auto, they were significantly cheaper for identical coverage plus umbrella policy. We've used them for over five years now, and with the exception of a windshield replacement on my wife's long-gone Lexus, have never had a claim. We're at around $1800/yr for a 2017 M3 and 2020 MY, both more "experienced" good drivers.

• Disagree
Reactions: MarsOrBust
My renewal with progressive also went up from $880 to $1,050 for the 6 month renewal. Model Y went from $583 to $662 and our Lexus UX 250H went from $297 to $388 with same coverages for both vehicles and two drivers.

Bodily Injury & Property Damage: $250K/$500K/$100K
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $250K/$500K
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Property Damage: $50K with $250 deductible
PIP: $5K
Comprehensive: $500 deductible $0 glass deductible
Collision: $500 deductible
Rental: $40/day
Roadside Assistance

Reactions: HeyEph
Bait and Switch, pure and simple. Progressive did not make a "mistake", they just suckered many people like me to switch to them then more than doubled the rate at the first renewal. No explanation, no apology. My Y was increased by $757!! for 6 mo.

My advice to all is to stay away from them. Simply unethical behavior.

Bait and Switch, pure and simple. Progressive did not make a "mistake", they just suckered many people like me to switch to them then more than doubled the rate at the first renewal. No explanation, no apology. My Y was increased by $757!! for 6 mo.

Truth in advertising: premiums guaranteed to Progress.

Reactions: monteitis
Does anyone else here have Progressive insurance for their Model Y?

I recently just got my 6 month renewal documents starting 12/2 and my 6 month premium increased from $689 to $1,189. I immediately called them and asked them to review because the rate of increase was ludicrous. After a week or so I finally go this answer..."We incorrectly priced all model y's initially and have now adjusted to the correct rates." I'm just shocked at how incompetent this company. I've been with progressive for over 10 years now, but I'm shopping rates. I don't wanna do business with them any longer, this was such an egregious mistake that probably has affected a good amount of people. Maybe someone wouldn't have bought the car, if they were quote the correct rate.
I use Progressive insurance. My cost (for me and the wife) is $195/month - full coverage 100/300/100. Tesla’s aren’t cheap to insure. It is what it is. I have a spotless driving record, haven’t had any accidents or tickets in over 10 years. For reference, my 2018 Accord with the same coverage was only $89/month. Tesla’s own insurance was $5 more a month - but I’ve been with Progressive for almost 15 years and have a super bad crush on Flo.

Reactions: monteitis

Mine went down $6 for the 6 month policy; wish they were more honest with me and just stick with the same amount! ;)

Very difficult to compare coverage, rates and quotes among each other. So many variables: location, driving record, other vehicles on a policy, other people (spouse, kids) on a policy, credit history, various discounts some qualify for and others don’t, bundling with homeowners insurance and so on.

Best bet is to shop around and find coverage that works for you.