Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Progressive insurance Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else here have Progressive insurance for their Model Y?

I recently just got my 6 month renewal documents starting 12/2 and my 6 month premium increased from $689 to $1,189. I immediately called them and asked them to review because the rate of increase was ludicrous. After a week or so I finally go this answer..."We incorrectly priced all model y's initially and have now adjusted to the correct rates." I'm just shocked at how incompetent this company. I've been with progressive for over 10 years now, but I'm shopping rates. I don't wanna do business with them any longer, this was such an egregious mistake that probably has affected a good amount of people. Maybe someone wouldn't have bought the car, if they were quote the correct rate.

Does anyone else here have Progressive insurance for their Model Y?

I recently just got my 6 month renewal documents starting 12/2 and my 6 month premium increased from $689 to $1,189. I immediately called them and asked them to review because the rate of increase was ludicrous. After a week or so I finally go this answer..."We incorrectly priced all model y's initially and have now adjusted to the correct rates." I'm just shocked at how incompetent this company. I've been with progressive for over 10 years now, but I'm shopping rates. I don't wanna do business with them any longer, this was such an egregious mistake that probably has affected a good amount of people. Maybe someone wouldn't have bought the car, if they were quote the correct rate.

I had the same experience with them. Switched to AllState. Not any better. Have yet to be paid for a Sep 7 Claim.
When I switched from Model X to Model Y expected substantial savings. Same rate!!! Also wanted the Mile Wise program in Florida because I work at home and drive limited miles. Surprise. Not offered for electric vehicles. Say what????

BTW if any of you have USAA, you have a SUBSCRIBER'S SAVINGS ACCT. They funnel money into to accounts for subscribers to avoid paying taxes on the money. The only way you can get it is to die or leave. Well, folks, when you die, rest assured they are not going to chase your survivors with the money, but I am sure to roll it into the general fund tax-free. I left and pestered them about it and eventually got a check for $10,888 (after 34 years) which pays for a lot of car insurance. Made it worth it to leave.

Buyer Beware. Nowadays they are all rip offs.

I had the same experience with them. Switched to AllState. Not any better. Have yet to be paid for a Sep 7 Claim.
When I switched from Model X to Model Y expected substantial savings. Same rate!!! Also wanted the Mile Wise program in Florida because I work at home and drive limited miles. Surprise. Not offered for electric vehicles. Say what????

BTW if any of you have USAA, you have a SUBSCRIBER'S SAVINGS ACCT. They funnel money into to accounts for subscribers to avoid paying taxes on the money. The only way you can get it is to die or leave. Well, folks, when you die, rest assured they are not going to chase your survivors with the money, but I am sure to roll it into the general fund tax-free. I left and pestered them about it and eventually got a check for $10,888 (after 34 years) which pays for a lot of car insurance. Made it worth it to leave.

Buyer Beware. Nowadays they are all rip offs.
Good info in the USAA subscriber’s account. I didn’t know you could get the money if you left.

I have Allstate and drive wise with my Model Y. They only refund $15 per month, better than nothing.

Good info in the USAA subscriber’s account. I didn’t know you could get the money if you left.

I have Allstate and drive wise with my Model Y. They only refund $15 per month, better than nothing.

Thanks for letting me know. I feel a little better. $15 Give me a real break. Not much better than nothing. Another gimmick and rip-off to draw customers. When is TESLA insurance going outside of CA? Tell me, how do you get Mile Wise when they said it doesn't apply to electric cars??

I had one bumper tap that merely creased the paint on my Model X and I'm paying $3000 a year for car insurance on a Model Y in FL, because FL requires medical.

We all need to look into Cooperative insurance where people get together and manage their own insurance losses (hire some bean counters to crunch the numbers) and return money to members at the end of the year when the Cooperative makes a profit.

Well this sucks. I will have to call Progressive, as I was hoping to switch to them after searching a few months ago. Currently my Y is at $145/month with State Farm and Progressive said I would be at about $100/month. I was shocked and they said "yeah initially we had the model Y higher, but we recently reduced rates to be more competitive".

But what you're telling me is that they reversed...

I've been with state farm for 20 years (2 vehicles). When I bought my Y I had state farm do a quote and it came in at $770 for 6 months. I had seen the posts on reddit about progressive and the MY and figured I'd get a quote. They came in at $477 for the identical coverage as state farm. Needless to say I snatched that up in full and now have 1 vehicle at each provider.

Based on the OP's interaction with progressive.. It will be interesting to see what progressive quotes me at renewal. If it's more than state farm (including multi car discount I'd qualify for again) I'll just add it back on. But that would be super shady of progressive and I'm sure they will see a mass exodus of MY policy holders if they double everyone at renewal.

I've been with state farm for 20 years (2 vehicles). When I bought my Y I had state farm do a quote and it came in at $770 for 6 months. I had seen the posts on reddit about progressive and the MY and figured I'd get a quote. They came in at $477 for the identical coverage as state farm. Needless to say I snatched that up in full and now have 1 vehicle at each provider.

Based on the OP's interaction with progressive.. It will be interesting to see what progressive quotes me at renewal. If it's more than state farm (including multi car discount I'd qualify for again) I'll just add it back on. But that would be super shady of progressive and I'm sure they will see a mass exodus of MY policy holders if they double everyone at renewal.

I wish I could play the field . Good luck!

I was paying about $900/mo for two Model 3s, a Cadillac and a Buick. 2 small accidents on the books (wife and daughter), no tickets. Had house and Personal Liability (I freelance) bundled. Safeco, for years... My guy in Flower Mound placed me with Progressive last week for $350/month. Wow. No idea for the sudden change of heart.

Last edited:
I can do that, no problem. This isn’t my first rodeo with progressive though. They also insure my other car and multiple motorcycles. The rates for all of my vehicles have been very stable over the past 12yrs. or so, leaving me no reason to believe they will go up substantially come renewal time (unless I have an accident/ticket). For reference the Tesla insurance quote was only $12/month more, so similar ballpark. I do have a good driving record though, so YMMV.

Also, the rate for my other car is very close to this and it is a slightly larger SUV. That rate has been stable over three years (up about $15/yr in that time).

Progressive quoted me a figure for my Y that was nearly double what USAA charged me for both the Y and my wife’s X5. My current rate is about $10 more per month than it was for my 13 year old BMW 3 I traded in. When I told the woman at Progressive they weren’t competitive she said they had just had a large increase for the Y.

So my agent shopped my policy and came back with a much better rate from Plymouth rock assurance out of Boston.

Same coverage I had with progressive will now be $1,353 for 12 months....vs progressives $1,189 for 6 months!

I'm always surprised how different in the price the same coverage can be from one insurer to another. I think they all just wait till you get comfortable and start jacking the rates up. I feel like its almost like the cable companies when they offer you cheap rates for the first couple years then jack the rates up.

Reactions: Farmer and 73Bruin