Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Progressive insurance Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurance comes down to do you want the cheapest option. Which is likely going to mean poor customer service and a company that will not stand behind you / drop you after claim.

Or you can go with a reputable company who is known to take care of there customers even when it’s not in the insurance company interest. This is going to cost a premium even if you don’t have a premium and likely a good bump when you do a claim.

Do you want an insurance company that’s going to use a high quality legal team to back you or an insurance company that has joe blow or some basic contracted lawyer covering you.

Sometimes you get what you pay for. And having a perfect record doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

I was reviewing someone else’s accident today and without witnesses and even with some cam footage it was still ruled 100% in favor of the person that committed the accident.

Does anyone else here have Progressive insurance for their Model Y?

I recently just got my 6 month renewal documents starting 12/2 and my 6 month premium increased from $689 to $1,189. I immediately called them and asked them to review because the rate of increase was ludicrous. After a week or so I finally go this answer..."We incorrectly priced all model y's initially and have now adjusted to the correct rates." I'm just shocked at how incompetent this company. I've been with progressive for over 10 years now, but I'm shopping rates. I don't wanna do business with them any longer, this was such an egregious mistake that probably has affected a good amount of people. Maybe someone wouldn't have bought the car, if they were quote the correct rate.

You're in NJ. Have you checked NJM? I'm in central NJ which is pretty expensive and mine is $810 for the year. I have their highest coverage but also pretty high deductibles.

Insurance comes down to do you want the cheapest option. Which is likely going to mean poor customer service and a company that will not stand behind you / drop you after claim.

Or you can go with a reputable company who is known to take care of there customers even when it’s not in the insurance company interest. This is going to cost a premium even if you don’t have a premium and likely a good bump when you do a claim.

In law school, I was struck by the many "bad faith" insurance claim cases we reviewed. My conclusion was and continues to be: avoid any company with "state" or "farm" in its name. YMMV.

• Funny
Reactions: monteitis and Ejl80
A pretty much maxed out Progressive insurance for our MYP just renewed (5 days ago) for another $627/6 months. Interestingly, our M3P used to cost us $935 for exactly the same coverage. So far no adjustments / notifications about future adjustments. We'll see what happens in May 2021.

I had the same experience with them. Switched to AllState. Not any better. Have yet to be paid for a Sep 7 Claim.
When I switched from Model X to Model Y expected substantial savings. Same rate!!! Also wanted the Mile Wise program in Florida because I work at home and drive limited miles. Surprise. Not offered for electric vehicles. Say what????

BTW if any of you have USAA, you have a SUBSCRIBER'S SAVINGS ACCT. They funnel money into to accounts for subscribers to avoid paying taxes on the money. The only way you can get it is to die or leave. Well, folks, when you die, rest assured they are not going to chase your survivors with the money, but I am sure to roll it into the general fund tax-free. I left and pestered them about it and eventually got a check for $10,888 (after 34 years) which pays for a lot of car insurance. Made it worth it to leave.

Buyer Beware. Nowadays they are all rip offs.
You're correct - die or leave to get TOTAL distribution. I get 2 checks a year (December and February) as partial distributions from my SSA. I update my estate assets at least annually so my estate won't miss any remaining balance when I pass on.

I did quote with geico, progressive and all state here in NYC. My current policy is with geico. Coverage is $250k/500k, property coverage $100k, uninsured coverage $100k/300k, $1k deductible collision, $500 comp deductible with full glass. 2 drivers with 2016 lexus rx and 2017 crv. Paying around $1450 for 6 months. Replaced the crv with MYP yesterday and rate only jumped $110. Both all state and progressive quoted me over $2k for 6 months. Progressive with the highest price. I am staying with geico. Background is good driving record and excellent credit.

Most of the companies above are not good. Ask a good trial layer that does auto cases who is a good insurance company. When you need insurance you will wish you spent more on a reputable company like AAA or USAA if you qualify. So many will throw you under the bus even when you are not at fault. Anyone not driving without at least 300/500 in liability and/ or an umbrella policy is not covered well IMO. It's very easy to pass that coverage in a small accident that is not your fault but can very well swing that way. When you see super low rates there is a reason and when you get cancelled watch how high your next rates will be.

Most of the companies above are not good. Ask a good trial layer that does auto cases who is a good insurance company.... So many will throw you under the bus even when you are not at fault. ... .

When I was in law school, we studied many "bad faith" insurance cases. I came out of law school with, "Don't get insurance that has 'farm' and/or 'state' in the company's name."

When I was in law school, we studied many "bad faith" insurance cases. I came out of law school with, "Don't get insurance that has 'farm' and/or 'state' in the company's name."

Not at all consistent with my experience. They been great for us for the last 15 years, including a $20k+ roof hail damage claim that was paid without hesitation and a fairly expensive underinsured motorist collision. They're unfortunately pretty expensive for the Model Y.

Man everyone's prices are crazy low to us in MI (except the one UP guy above). I'm looking today for quotes and they're mostly in the 2400-3500 range a year. We have AAA currently but the agent hasn't responded to my quote request yet, if they're under 3000 a year I'd be surprised though. Progressive was the cheapest at $2400 if I prepay, $2800 monthly.

you guys with the high rates, why not let the agent know you only want to pay half and see how if possible they can find a way.

the coverage difference you have to make sure your compare apples to apples not apples to oranges, that will make a difference in the rate, sometimes huge!
$700 for 6 months $500/$500 progressive for my MYP :)

Very true, not to mention ones with a P or others as most are rebranded forms of the parent companies. There is a good reason Paypal has to rebrand and where Elon learned all his great customer service values. If he cared as much about CS as making the Roadster hover there would be fewer people trolling the company.

I did quote with geico, progressive and all state here in NYC. My current policy is with geico. Coverage is $250k/500k, property coverage $100k, uninsured coverage $100k/300k, $1k deductible collision, $500 comp deductible with full glass. 2 drivers with 2016 lexus rx and 2017 crv. Paying around $1450 for 6 months. Replaced the crv with MYP yesterday and rate only jumped $110. Both all state and progressive quoted me over $2k for 6 months. Progressive with the highest price. I am staying with geico. Background is good driving record and excellent credit.

Geico wanted double compared to Progressive when we added the MY. So it was back to Progressive for us again. I'm sure next time we get a new car we'll be back to Geico again, since that seems to be the pattern.

You're in NJ. Have you checked NJM? I'm in central NJ which is pretty expensive and mine is $810 for the year. I have their highest coverage but also pretty high deductibles.
Ever had a claim with them? Everyone I know with NJM hates them with a passion after making a claim. Their customer service seems to have died after they opened up to more people.