Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Progressive insurance Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know an insurance company code (NAIC) that works for inputting in the Tesla website to take delivery of your MY? I have input the code from my card, and about 20 other progressive company codes, and none seem to work. I have searched this forum and google as well and it looks like I might be the first person to maybe have this issue.

I get a "No company found, please try again" error. After trying the 20 codes earlier, I called Progressive and they never heard of this issue. I then tried about 10 other codes while the agent was on the phone.

Anyone have an actual email address for them as well? I think my final delivery is being held up because of this. My data is from June 4th to June 7th. Obviously the 4th is past. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Anyone had experience with Geico? Geico, state farm, progressive all quoted me about $80-90 depending on various options for 100k/300k coverage in most areas, $90 with Geico is what I went at with no towing/mechanical assistance but rental car, medical payments & then $500 deductible on collision & comprehensive. Liberty Mutual was going to charge me $266 a MONTH ($3,200/year) for the 2021 MY AWD long range and couldn’t tell me why. I think it must be the new customer thing, or they are looking at a hit-and-run we didn’t get the info for 6 years ago that does not come up as when I apply to other companies previous 5 years are mainly what is queried. Progressive was the cheapest, however with all of them I am worried my rates will increase as of December.. all rates I could get I was only quoted for the next 6 months. I am leasing.

Any experience w/Geico welcome.

Anyone had experience with Geico? Geico, state farm, progressive all quoted me about $80-90 depending on various options for 100k/300k coverage in most areas, $90 with Geico is what I went at with no towing/mechanical assistance but rental car, medical payments & then $500 deductible on collision & comprehensive. Liberty Mutual was going to charge me $266 a MONTH ($3,200/year) for the 2021 MY AWD long range and couldn’t tell me why. I think it must be the new customer thing, or they are looking at a hit-and-run we didn’t get the info for 6 years ago that does not come up as when I apply to other companies previous 5 years are mainly what is queried. Progressive was the cheapest, however with all of them I am worried my rates will increase as of December.. all rates I could get I was only quoted for the next 6 months. I am leasing.

Any experience w/Geico welcome.
I had coverage for years with an affiliated company of Liberty Mutual. They, too, wanted over $5K for two 10 year old Buicks (liabiliy only) and my two new Model 3s. Say WHAT?
My insurance agent of 30 years got me covered (and better coverage) for about $3K a year with Progressive. Bundled with the house coverage (not included in the auto coverage price), so I got a little discount on both. I haven't had a claim in many years, so I have no idea how their service goes. I've had two 6 month renewals, and the rate actually dropped about $30 a month.
I was happy to get rid of the Liberty Mutual company. Their commercials are detestable.

I compared Progressive, Geico and Liberty Mutual (LM). No point publishing my quote as in previous state and area, my rates were much lower than where I live now. What was shocking for me was Progressive was almost half the cost of the the Gecco and about 50% cheaper than LM (LM was significantly cheaper than the Gecco too).

Even more surprisingly was the MY LR was cheaper to insure than the car it was replacing on the policy (an Acura SUV). I can insure two of our cars with Progressive cheaper than I can just the MY LR with the Gecco. I've had long-standing relationships with both and have quite a few vehicles insured with both. So the disparity on the MY was pretty shocking. Normally they are within 5% of each other. I do like that Progressive has easy upgrade/add-on coverage for accessories.

I compared Progressive, Geico and Liberty Mutual (LM). No point publishing my quote as in previous state and area, my rates were much lower than where I live now. What was shocking for me was Progressive was almost half the cost of the the Gecco and about 50% cheaper than LM (LM was significantly cheaper than the Gecco too).

Even more surprisingly was the MY LR was cheaper to insure than the car it was replacing on the policy (an Acura SUV). I can insure two of our cars with Progressive cheaper than I can just the MY LR with the Gecco. I've had long-standing relationships with both and have quite a few vehicles insured with both. So the disparity on the MY was pretty shocking. Normally they are within 5% of each other. I do like that Progressive has easy upgrade/add-on coverage for accessories.
I hate progressive. When a truck insured with Progressive sideswiped me on my driver's side on my way to work... I had no damage to the right side of my car, and they claimed that I jumped the curb and tried to pass the truck on the right, in the dirt.... REALLY? It's a 55mph zone, and they think I jumped a curb with 19" wheels and low-profile tires, at speed.... And with zero visible damage on the right side of my car? They told me if I disagreed with them, I should sue them....

As for the Acura, speaking as someone that has had multiple Acura vehicles... Look at the itemization breakdown... You'll find that Acura/Hondas are actually pretty expensive to insure, at least in my experience... For all my Acura vehicles, I found that some of the line items were triple that of my other cars, even ones that are newer and more expensive. When I inquired about it, it turned out it was related to the high theft rates for Honda/Acura in our area apparently.

I can't say I am the biggest fan of Progressive but my parents had them for almost 30 years and were treated well by the company. I used to exclusively use USAA but when the rolled their motorcycles to Progressive, I wasn't a fan at the time and moved a bunch of vehicles to the Gecco.

The Acura was less than my Ram diesel pickup so I didn't mind the savings. It was about the same price as an electric Ford we had on the policy with another company (Geico) before I switched them both to Progressive. Then the Ford was slightly cheaper than the Acura with Progressive (~$100 every 6 months).

Well... after a renewal that was a little LOWER than previous (after the original poster here was told Progressive "under priced" Model Y by mistake) I got a huge hike in price. I was $605/6 months and it jumped to $1258 for the same length of time and coverage. I had just hit my 5 year mark with them and moved up to diamond status or something... basically large accident forgiveness or something. Well I didn't even bother calling them to ask why it jumped after reading here that so many people have had them suddenly hike prices. I had Progressive with my leased Volt, then my Model 3 I had for a year before trading in and then my Model Y. Now I'm leaving them. I would much rather stay with one company... but if I have to switch every year or two I guess that's what people do nowadays.

I almost went with Pemco (I'm based in Washington state) because I could pay for a year at ~$1400 for great coverage (same as Progressive but even a little better, higher car rental coverage [$70/day] etc) but ultimately went with State Farm for about $95/mo for coverage that was a little better than Progressive ($500 deductibles, slightly lower than Progressive had me). The car rental coverage is worse, 80% up to $1,000 and I always worry if there is a problem it'll take Tesla a month or more to fix it... but I'm crossing my fingers I don't need to use that. They also didn't offer loan/lease payoff, but I only owe $30k on a 2020 LR Model Y that was ~$56k new (if you don't count FSD that I purchased via the app). I can't imagine ACV of the vehicle in the next year or two would be $30k or less so I should be ok if the worst case happens...

I do hate this company far more than Progressive. They've already called me twice just from me trying to do an online quote, even though I did NOT put my phone number on the quote... they must have dug up my records from 5 years ago when I was a customer. Also, I originally left them 5 years ago when I leased my Volt because for some odd reason they wanted like $190/mo for that car and then they got real mad and called me like 5 times saying I *HAD* to physically go into the local office to cancel my policy... I told them I wasn't going to pay the renewal and I was cancelling and never to call me again.

Anyone know if State Farm can add an additional rider to add coverage for custom parts (such as window tint/paint protection film... maybe for FSD being added via the app?)

Well... after a renewal that was a little LOWER than previous (after the original poster here was told Progressive "under priced" Model Y by mistake) I got a huge hike in price. I was $605/6 months and it jumped to $1258 for the same length of time and coverage. I had just hit my 5 year mark with them and moved up to diamond status or something... basically large accident forgiveness or something. Well I didn't even bother calling them to ask why it jumped after reading here that so many people have had them suddenly hike prices. I had Progressive with my leased Volt, then my Model 3 I had for a year before trading in and then my Model Y. Now I'm leaving them. I would much rather stay with one company... but if I have to switch every year or two I guess that's what people do nowadays.

I almost went with Pemco (I'm based in Washington state) because I could pay for a year at ~$1400 for great coverage (same as Progressive but even a little better, higher car rental coverage [$70/day] etc) but ultimately went with State Farm for about $95/mo for coverage that was a little better than Progressive ($500 deductibles, slightly lower than Progressive had me). The car rental coverage is worse, 80% up to $1,000 and I always worry if there is a problem it'll take Tesla a month or more to fix it... but I'm crossing my fingers I don't need to use that. They also didn't offer loan/lease payoff, but I only owe $30k on a 2020 LR Model Y that was ~$56k new (if you don't count FSD that I purchased via the app). I can't imagine ACV of the vehicle in the next year or two would be $30k or less so I should be ok if the worst case happens...

I do hate this company far more than Progressive. They've already called me twice just from me trying to do an online quote, even though I did NOT put my phone number on the quote... they must have dug up my records from 5 years ago when I was a customer. Also, I originally left them 5 years ago when I leased my Volt because for some odd reason they wanted like $190/mo for that car and then they got real mad and called me like 5 times saying I *HAD* to physically go into the local office to cancel my policy... I told them I wasn't going to pay the renewal and I was cancelling and never to call me again.

Anyone know if State Farm can add an additional rider to add coverage for custom parts (such as window tint/paint protection film... maybe for FSD being added via the app?)
Not 100% sure about State Farm but most major carriers offer limited coverage for custom parts & equipment with a standard auto policy... At Farmer's and Progressive, the amount was $1k (towards "permanently attached" equipment like tints, ppf, spoiler, etc). With Progressive, if the cost to replace those items exceeds $1k, they will waive all or a portion of your deductible to cover the excess. So essentially, your custom parts coverage = $1k + your deductible.

You can opt to purchase additional coverage for custom equipment at Farmers and Progressive too. I've worked for both companies, not familiar with others.

Not 100% sure about State Farm but most major carriers offer limited coverage for custom parts & equipment with a standard auto policy... At Farmer's and Progressive, the amount was $1k (towards "permanently attached" equipment like tints, ppf, spoiler, etc). With Progressive, if the cost to replace those items exceeds $1k, they will waive all or a portion of your deductible to cover the excess. So essentially, your custom parts coverage = $1k + your deductible.

You can opt to purchase additional coverage for custom equipment at Farmers and Progressive too. I've worked for both companies, not familiar with others.
Ya, I had extra coverage at Progressive. I was very happy with my coverage (never had to use it, but felt protected) and was paying just under $100/mo for it... but I can't be paying ~$215/mo for the same coverage and I would have drastically had to strip it down, not just increase deductibles to $1,000, to bring it anywhere close to the same monthly cost. I have a State Farm policy that starts on Oct 1st. Core coverages are the same and just things like rental coverage and customer parts are slightly different. I would say it's 80% of the same benefits and coverage for EVEN LESS than I was paying at Progressive before they hiked the price up. I was quoted about $94/mo but since I'm in the same household with a family member that also has State Farm we were able to add a multi-vehicle discount. I was told it wouldn't reduce the cost too much, but now I see the 6 month cost as being $468.60, or $78/month! That's fantastic price! In addition it turns out State Farm was still writing Universal Life with Flexcare riders for my state (WA) and are pretty certain that will exempt me from the required state run Long Term Care plan (tax) so I signed up for that too. In the end it worked out for me and State Farm is getting two policies out of me. We'll see how long this works.... I'm ok (well, I dislike, but I'll deal with) small increases from time to time, but 30%, 50%, 100% more with zero changes to my driving history?! No thank you...

Just to comment. we had travelers for years and were paying $4,200/year for 2018 X P100D and 2021 Model S plaid. switched to Plymouth Rock for exact same coverage and it went down to $2,500/year for both cars. $2,300 if we pay annually.

clearly we switched.
Just switched as well from Progressive to Plymouth Rock, as Flo kept raising rates each renewal. Their reasoning was cost of doing business in NJ.

Switched to Plymouth yesterday, and with the same coverage went from $3200/year (2 vehicles; MY/M3) on the policy to just over $2000/year.

I have a 2021 Model Y LR. We moved from Western NY to the Asheville, NC area. Previously had Geico - was charging us $167/month for coverage with fairly high limits. Changed to Progressive here in NC - $560 for 6 months (about $93/month) with same coverage. Differences: Pay for all 6 months at once rather than paying monthly, bundled with house insurance ($329/year), and of course the location change. If Progressive starts the annual increase game, I'll shop around every year. $74/month savings = $888/year -well worth the change. I think insurance companies just count on customer inertia in the face of small annual increases.

I can't say I am the biggest fan of Progressive but my parents had them for almost 30 years and were treated well by the company. I used to exclusively use USAA but when the rolled their motorcycles to Progressive, I wasn't a fan at the time and moved a bunch of vehicles to the Gecco.

The Acura was less than my Ram diesel pickup so I didn't mind the savings. It was about the same price as an electric Ford we had on the policy with another company (Geico) before I switched them both to Progressive. Then the Ford was slightly cheaper than the Acura with Progressive (~$100 every 6 months).
USAA is a top insurer, people shop for insurance on price and they should not. I can't get USAA bout wish I could. You get value out of an insurance company when you need them and then you see what you pay for.

USAA is a top insurer, people shop for insurance on price and they should not. I can't get USAA bout wish I could. You get value out of an insurance company when you need them and then you see what you pay for.
I insure a lot of vehicles. Last time I was with USAA I had 17 vehicles (12 motorcycles and 5 cars). When they divested insuring motorcycles it made a huge impact for me as the rates went up substantially on the motorcycles. Overall Geico saved me a lot of money at the time and still offered great services. I never bother with anything other than top-tier companies that have a transparent and supportive claims process.

We all need to look into Cooperative insurance where people get together and manage their own insurance losses (hire some bean counters to crunch the numbers) and return money to members at the end of the year when the Cooperative makes a profit.
Exactly what USAA is. I get a check every year from them distributing any excess money they have left over. Several hundred dollars last time. They don't have stockholders, that's why I am a "member" rather than a customer.

One of the many reasons they rate at the top in most surveys. Another is their fantastic service. Another is they are like Tesla, they don't press you to get insurance you don't need. Like any large company you can always find someone unhappy, but those anecdotal experiences are pretty rare.

I insure a lot of vehicles. Last time I was with USAA I had 17 vehicles (12 motorcycles and 5 cars). When they divested insuring motorcycles it made a huge impact for me as the rates went up substantially on the motorcycles. Overall Geico saved me a lot of money at the time and still offered great services. I never bother with anything other than top-tier companies that have a transparent and supportive claims process.
Great but that does not relate to my point of the quality of defense in a major accident. There is a huge gap in the money spent by different insurance companies. Do you think they care if you have to pay beyond their limits? On the other hand a company that has a reputation for fighting and where you have high limits puts very different resources forward. Doe snot matter if you have 100 vehicles if you have not been in depositions and had private investigators and industry experts hired on your behalf you may not get my point. A person car run a red hit you and do insane damage and you can be blamed at fault. Why do you think some insurance companies are more expensive? My brother was stopped at a light and a lady rolled down her driveway and hit him, if you don't take steps to avoid the car you can be at fault as well. Lawsuits and crazy drivers are out of control in major cities. Services are great but insurance is more about covering your butt when it counts. I have had experiences with Gieco and in a major accident they may also cancel you regardless of fault. Major is where claims are in the $100K plus. Most auto insurance companies are high on motorcycles, I had mine on another policy as they are not structured for that some specialize in motorcycles and Geico is lower on bikes.

Regardless of the carrier the best way to cover these issues is not have $500k liability and a $1M umbrella. $500K is the min to get one and an Umbrella is cheap for the extra $1M and covers the car and house and you on the street, etc. Having less than $500K seems crazy for people with assets. That does not mean $500K per person either . A person I know cancelled their $130 umbrella and lowered their policy to 100/300K. They hit an old lady in their Tesla because they were turning and did not see here crossing in the blind spot. She is now asking for $1M and the insurance has already paid the max $300K. Guess who pays the other $700K? Today it is easy to rack up huge bills in an accident even when it's not your fault. Get in an accident with Uber or Lift and watch them tear your insurance company to shreds with their bank of endless lawyers. I saw one case where the Uber driver hit a pedestrian and they are blaming the pedestrian and spending insane money to defend that position even though it was not the pedestrians fault. This is what they do.

Let's not even get started on un insured motorist coverage:) People would be shocked to know how many people in LA drive with a fake license and no insurance. I was rear ended by one, my brother was and my mom was side-swiped by one on the 405.

Cover you butt or live far away from cars and people who are mostly stupid and not paying attention.

Last edited:
Does anyone else here have Progressive insurance for their Model Y?

I recently just got my 6 month renewal documents starting 12/2 and my 6 month premium increased from $689 to $1,189. I immediately called them and asked them to review because the rate of increase was ludicrous. After a week or so I finally go this answer..."We incorrectly priced all model y's initially and have now adjusted to the correct rates." I'm just shocked at how incompetent this company. I've been with progressive for over 10 years now, but I'm shopping rates. I don't wanna do business with them any longer, this was such an egregious mistake that probably has affected a good amount of people. Maybe someone wouldn't have bought the car, if they were quote the correct rate.
GEICO best for me in So Cal 👍🏻

So my agent shopped my policy and came back with a much better rate from Plymouth rock assurance out of Boston.

Same coverage I had with progressive will now be $1,353 for 12 months....vs progressives $1,189 for 6 months!

I'm always surprised how different in the price the same coverage can be from one insurer to another. I think they all just wait till you get comfortable and start jacking the rates up. I feel like its almost like the cable companies when they offer you cheap rates for the first couple years then jack the rates up.

Attachments

• 44177211-482D-4A83-B4F2-22276BCEE582.jpeg
    44177211-482D-4A83-B4F2-22276BCEE582.jpeg
    691.5 KB · Views: 133