Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Progressive rating for MS: no blind spot warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Progressive increased my insurance cost significantly in my last offer of 12/29. I expected an increase because I have been in two at-fault non serious accidents with brand new cars in the last year, one being my own M$. They have PAID because of my errors - over $15k - so I do not blame them for the increase, I am an idiot.

But when I looked at the disclosure there was another reason beyond my accidents - they now list the MS as not having blindspot detection. I got over $10k damage from a retaining wall that contacted with the car about 10" from the front right repeater, No warning, no sentry, or video recorded.

Progressive increased my insurance cost significantly in my last offer of 12/29. I expected an increase because I have been in two at-fault non serious accidents with brand new cars in the last year, one being my own M$. They have PAID because of my errors - over $15k - so I do not blame them for the increase, I am an idiot.

But when I looked at the disclosure there was another reason beyond my accidents - they now list the MS as not having blindspot detection. I got over $10k damage from a retaining wall that contacted with the car about 10" from the front right repeater, No warning, no sentry, or video recorded.
my model 3 has blind spot warning. Why doesn’t yours? A retaining wall contacted your car? How fast was it moving? Was it insured? Or did you hit it

• Funny
Reactions: rsg123 and aerodyne
Hmm, I'd ask them for their definition of "blind spot detection" and then work to prove that your Model S does indeed meet the requirements. I'm pretty sure even when not activated (and even AP1) it will throw a collision warning should it reliably sense an obstruction (even with just the ultrasonics .. ?).

Should be good unless the requirement is for a car to passively alert the driver when a lane change is not advisable (as we see with the orange triangles on some car side mirrors). For some reason Tesla still doesn't offer that anywhere.

I was, of course, happy when Tesla added blind-spot detection to the CID on Model S. But - despite all the superior situational awareness that AP cars have (yes, even yours, @Chickenlittle) , I don't like having to take my eyes off the road to look at the CID to make sure nobody is in my blind spot. I wish there was an additional warning light in the side mirror, similar to MB, BMW and Audi's I've owned.

Reactions: ftlum and David29
The problem is one can argue that a Model 3/S/X don't have blindspot monitoring, and one can argue they do.

I would argue that they don't as what they have doesn't match my criteria.

My criteria is a system has to use radar, and the indicator has to be in the mirrors or a HUD. It can't be in the CID like the Model S/X, and it can't be in the Center Console as it is in the Model 3.

Reactions: TJtv and ftlum
Isn’t their an audible alert if you try and move into a space where there is an object?
The latest Owner's Manual does indeed describe a warning chime (which can be turned on or off), but it must only apply to cars newer than mine -- I just looked and my AP1 car has no entry in the Settings to actuate such a chime.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
The latest Owner's Manual does indeed describe a warning chime (which can be turned on or off), but it must only apply to cars newer than mine -- I just looked and my AP1 car has no entry in the Settings to actuate such a chime.
I have this - but it’s a lane keeping system to keep you from drifting out of your lane. Even though it helps steer you back, I’m sure there are instances when it would be too little too late if you left your lane and there was also a car in your blind spot.

Reactions: Zer0t
I hope this issue gets more attention. The blindspot warning is present, but poorly implemented.
Many of us can’t angle out the mirrors enough for ‘proper’ positioning.
You need to have the visual warning on the mirrors, where you’re looking when changing lanes. It’s in an even worse position on the 3.
The audio alert is a last-second one, which only is for imminent crashes when you’ve started your lane change.

The best work-around I’ve read of is having the blinker noise be a little different when someone is in your blindspot. This would give you advanced warning without being too annoying, and could be a toggle in Settings if some people don’t like the it. This was not my idea, but I think it’s a great one and needs more visibility when people are asking for feature requests. One would think Tesla would be interested in features that enhance safety.

I forgot spacially where I was.

lol...

Car is too expensive to forget where its at.
Also has too many sensors to make a oops unless your in a big rush.

I honestly think the only reason why we are paying too much is because the auto insurance has no idea how to treat the battery pack, because for once there is something which didn't deflate too much in value even after being totaled.

So its too complicated for an actuary to calculate it, so they just assume its a complete loss.

Because in a ICE car, you dont really recycle the gas.
In a Tesla, you always recycle the battery.

EDIT: made some edits as i read the statement wrong.

I stand corrected must be older S
March 2019 not old. The car went into park because I paused pressing the brake and then forgot spacially where I was... I turned the wheel and accelerated and crunch. I was about 18 inches from the 18 inch high wall, which appears to end but actually turns to 45 degrees and keeps going. I contacted at the angle intersection - these are 8x8 timbers on a steep incline - but I own this property and should have known. Sometimes you just F%$k up...

Don't blame the insurance company or Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Don’t rely on cameras and sensors? Not sure what you’re looking for here.
Not looking for anything, it was my fault no argument. I'm telling you that you will pay more for insurance no matter what your driving record if insurance companies rate the MS as having no blindspot detector. I don't think that was the issue with my particular accident, I stopped in the middle of a maneuver that I would have normally completed had I followed through...

• Helpful
Reactions: David29